Off topic threads and locking threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand closing or locking certain threads when they get too far off topic, or they get out of control with people being rude and nasty, but sometimes I think the lock comes out prematurely. For one thing we should have a little more leeway seeing how these topics are posted in the Off Topic area...a couple of threads were locked today that really didn't need to be...neither were even close to being out of control...it just seems like the second two people disagree on a subject, out comes the lock. Debate makes this world go around, why not let us discuss these things?

Last edited:
as a privately owned and operated board, the owners/operators are free to impose the rules of their choosing.
the board rules clearly state that discussions of politics/religion are not allowed, and will be locked, as well as a few other topics that may or may not be political/religious in nature, but always seem to drift back into the political/religious theater.

I personally think the language censor is a bit too strict here, but, it's not my site. It's set to the owners discretion.

Last edited:
They seem to follow the "broken window" theory in nipping stuff in the bud.

As it is their site they get to run it the way they like.

This is not a democracy.

One thing that could help is some more advanced software to detect the 'reincarnations' of banned members. We have one guy using about 5 or 6 names now...

Many forums have been ruined by immature posters and it is great that this site keeps things strict. There is an internet full of forums and if people don't like it they can leave. I think more threads should be locked, deleted or thread titles changed. Especially I am thinking of ones that the thread title dissed a product but when you read the actual details the person was just venting, often incorrectly blaming the product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We have one guy using about 5 or 6 names now...

Ooh, ooh...

Who is it?
I love this game (Catch the Banned Moron).

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

That's not an anagram, but "Ammo Bird Nun" is.
wink.gif

IDK
I've seen some threads allowed to go pretty far, often coming very close to the line.
I think that the mods do things just about right.

I really like this board, as it's mostly (very intelligent and knowledgeable, for the most part) adults.

I like the fact that it isn't a free-for-all, and there aren't a lot of 18-yr-olds who think they know it all here.

For example, I'm following the "220-volt vs. 110 volt" thread over in General/Off-Topic, and I'm getting an impromptu education on 3-phase AC power! There are a bunch of engineers and scientifically-minded folks here, and I love learning from them.

And, while 4-letter words aren't the worst thing in the world, I really prefer not to hear all that kind of talk.

However, I do wish there were more leeway on politics and current events, as I always love a good debate. It's just too bad that some people aren't capable of having a debate without resorting to name-calling and insults when they start losing their argument. Those folks ruin it for everybody.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
It's just too bad that some people aren't capable of having a debate without resorting to name-calling and insults when they start losing their argument. Those folks ruin it for everybody.
This^

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This is not a democracy.

Exactly. Be thankful you have a free helpful forum you can reference to if your vehicle breaks down. There is no entitlement whatsoever.

I stick to just reading the political/ off topic posts so I don't get my goose cooked. It has been working well for me so far.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

That's not an anagram, but "Ammo Bird Nun" is.
wink.gif

This deserves recognition. I almost fell on the floor!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
OK spill the beans, who's ammo bird nun?

^^Agree,please tell us. "Enquiring" minds want to know :^)

Actually I think things were getting better in this regard overr the past year or so, because a number of threads were borderline issues but because the discussion was civil the mods allowed the discussion to continue. Unfortunately there are some members who will deliberately attempt to spike a thread (personal attacks, inuendo, ect) that is not to their liking to get it locked intentionally which happens plenty of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back