Off topic threads and locking threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Actually I think things were getting better in this regard overr the past year or so, because a number of threads were borderline issues but because the discussion was civil the mods allowed the discussion to continue. Unfortunately there are some members who will deliberately attempt to spike a thread (personal attacks, inuendo, ect) that is not to their liking to get it locked intentionally which happens plenty of times.

Agree.

There have been some borderline threads in the last year that have been allowed to live, and I have found them very informative.

I guess, I hope, that because the debate was civil and conducted (obviously) by adults, it was allowed to live.
Not just missed.

I'd like to know why my post in this thread was removed? What in the world did I post that caused it to be deleted???
This forum is really becoming annoying.

It's always amusing to watch Dave in action. He waits for the perfect time to interject a rude comment in the hopes that he gets under your skin enough to make you react. Then...he keeps prodding just enough to try to get you to say something that gets the attention of those in charge....then he suddenly becomes Mr. Innocent.
Yep....that's his game.
Oh well.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Actually I think things were getting better in this regard overr the past year or so, because a number of threads were borderline issues but because the discussion was civil the mods allowed the discussion to continue. Unfortunately there are some members who will deliberately attempt to spike a thread (personal attacks, inuendo, ect) that is not to their liking to get it locked intentionally which happens plenty of times.

That's passive-aggressive womanliness.

well you can't ban everyone. There will be no posts to argue about.
grin.gif

Now that's a great term. I'm not entirely sure what it means, I'll have to think about it. But it has potential
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
That's passive-aggressive womanliness.

I didn't understand why the Robin Williams thread was locked.

Mods are good here, but far from perfect. They (IMO) do have some weaknesses/bias as far as political thread-locking is concerned.
However, I am sure it's a lot of work, too, so...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Mods are good here, but far from perfect. They (IMO) do have some weaknesses/bias as far as political thread-locking is concerned.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I also thought about the bias myself, good to know it wasn't just me.

No clue; no one made any political or bad comments, at least not as far as I could see. No one was fighting or arguing either.
As the thread starter, I was pretty confused by the lock.

It's no secret Williams was anti one of the recent presidents and used that as his material in stand-ups. Could it be this?

BTW, sorry if this is locked. My bad.

Well a thread has to be locked due to the CONTENT OF THE THREAD violating rules in some way, IMO. Not because the subject of the thread having whatever political leanings. If it wasn't brought up IN THE THREAD by a member, I don't see how that can be a valid reason.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Locking threads is harmless. The disappearing ones with no explanation is a different matter altogether.

There's apparantly a "detention hall" where the really bad threads go, where either a mod cleans them up to put them back in service, or, 99% of the time, they languish and disappear forever.

The only ridiculous thing here is that some folks expect everyone to agree.

IMO it is really silly to expect everyone in a public forum to agree with what you say. It just ain't very likely...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
No clue; no one made any political or bad comments, at least not as far as I could see. No one was fighting or arguing either.
As the thread starter, I was pretty confused by the lock.

It was suggested some time back that if a thread was locked, the mod would offer an explanation as to why it was locked.

1) As a courtesy to all who have spent time contributing to the thread.

2) To show newer members the 'limits' on BITOG

For a while, this seemed to happen.
Perhaps this time some Mod forgot their MANNERS!

BITOG IS a private domain they can make any rules they wish.
But they need to remember who makes this site what it is.....That is the members that contribute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back