% of all cars sold with manual transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this article, which states that

Quote:
Manually shifted transmissions are an endangered species. In 1980, more than 35 percent of cars sold had a stick; in 2007 the number had dropped to 7.7 percent.

Given that the article comes from a US website, do you think they're only talking about the US market or the whole worldwide market? What is this percentage for worldwide market? Just curious.

Here's the whole article from which this quote came:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=656470#atoolb

Its 7% in the USA cause:

1. Americans are too lazy to learn to drive a manual trans
2. How would they be able to text message if they had to shift gears

I have a feeling that the weight and power of modern cars is another factor. I sympathize with Nissan's decision not to release their 480+ hp, 3800 lb, fat-tired, AWD sports car with a grind-me lever and a break-me pedal.

Ultimately it all comes down to the same thing: people are lazy and want their cars to be minimally demanding. That's the real crime, IMO. The shrinking market for manual transmissions is just a symptom.

when i was looking into getting a new car 2 years ago the salesman said less than 10% of hyundai sonata's sold here are manual, and that if I really wanted a manual, i would have had to wait 4 months while they send a specific order to the factory in korea.

Part of the problem is that the factory has stopped making them even available on a bunch of models. Dodge charger is a great example of a car that should be available with a manual transmission. The other problem is the dealers, they make more money on cars that have more options and they want cars that have a broader appeal on their lots so they dont order vehicles with manuals. When I bought my F350 in 2006, there was one stick shift truck in the region of 800,000 people on the lots to test drive. I had to special order to get what I wanted.

laziness and lack of knowledge of physics is why. This drives the business decision because each drivetrain configuration needs to be certified for fuel economy by the EPA.

Euro cars are the only ones for the most part with a ready supply of MT, so that's what we buy. The fact that safety is generally superior in euro cars is an added benefit.

Cars are something to move people around. The less effort is put in driving the better off the consumers are. People have no desire nor patience to fiddle with levers, instruments or maintenance schedules.

Obviously,this doesn't apply to specialty vehicles like the Dodge Charger so I am surprised that they don't offer it with an MT.

Quote:

Its 7% in the USA cause:

1. Americans are too lazy to learn to drive a manual trans
2. How would they be able to text message if they had to shift gears

? I think that is somewhat harsh. Many people need the convenience of moving place to place without needing to enjoy the mechanics of it.

Do you run a precompiled OS, or compile from source code; same concept.

I have two manual vehicles BTW.

Last edited:
It's a problem because they were making great profits from leasing at one point, and customers are leary buying a used with standard after lease is over. My current Impreza runs beautifully with the automatic, that tranny has come a long way, it has the electronic
AWD, and the stability control, where the computer takes over in case of a skid.

This thread seems to have taken off on a tangent. Just FYI, I wasn't trying to find out why the manual tranny % is so low. I was just trying to find out what this % is for the auto industry as a whole.
55.gif

It's an issue because no one wants to sit in stop and go traffic for a hour every day to work driving a manual. Most of the working stiffs work in the cities and have horrible commutes. Manual transmissions are for sports cars or 3rd vehicles for the weekends.

I read an article a few years back talking about this. IIRC something like 95% of cars sold in Europe are manuals, totally opposite trend here in North America.

I love my stick shift, and the fact that it was around $1000 less than the slushomatic.

Originally Posted By: skeeter080
I love my stick shift, and the fact that it was around $1000 less than the slushomatic.

...and the fact that is will cost much less $$$ to replace a clutch than a remanufactured automatic tranny which may or may not work correctly.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
It's an issue because no one wants to sit in stop and go traffic for a hour every day to work driving a manual. Most of the working stiffs work in the cities and have horrible commutes. Manual transmissions are for sports cars or 3rd vehicles for the weekends.

I have to admit that when stuck in bumper to bumper stop'n'go traffic the crazy though of owning an automatic might have popped into my head once or twice....but it was gone as just as quickly :)

I will never buy an automatic as my personal vehicle. Why should I settle for an automatic transmission when I'm spending $20,000 on a vehicle? My brother recently bought a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe and he had to wait a month for a manual transmission. The salesman pleaded with him to just buy an automatic...but he gave the same reason to him. If you're spending 20k on a vehicle, you should get what you want.

The manufacturers should just offer them as an option...like a sunroof or satellite radio. I'd even be willing to pay a little more money if my vehicle has a stick.

It's a shame these vehicles are becoming a rarity in America.

To me, driving a stick is just more natural, exciting and makes me feel more in control. Whenever I get in an automatic I don't feel comfortable....and I feel myself longing for the clutch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Whenever I get in an automatic I don't feel comfortable....and I feel myself longing for the clutch.

Sometimes when I drive certain automatics I long for the clutch so intensely that I accidentally slam on the foot-operated e-brake pedal when coming to a stop.

The passengers don't like that very much.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: skeeter080

...and the fact that is will cost much less $$$ to replace a clutch than a remanufactured automatic tranny which may or may not work correctly.

Precisely. My total cost for transmission maintenance (one clutch job) on about 6 new vehicles since 1971 is $400. I'm sure an auto would have been much more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back