OE Michelin's only 50% worn at 85k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a set of original Michelin Energy AS 225/65-17 tires that came off a one owner 2013 Chrysler minivan. He replaced with the same tire which measure 10/32's, and OE tires still had 5/32's at 85,000 miles. Pretty impressive with all the bad things you hear about OE Michelin tires. I will try and

sell this set on CL for $30.

Sometimes you get good ones!

I've never had such luck even with tires rated as high as 85K miles. However, I need to replace by 4-5/32nds just for reasonable foul weather performance. If I never drove in the rain or snow, I'd run all of my tires down to the legal limit of 2/32nd.

I currently have OE Michelin MXV4's 93V(215-55-17)with 33K miles at 5/32nds. I'll keep them(in the garage on their wheels) for the next 2 seasons of Spring/Summer/Autumn but I have swapped them out for some newer A/S tires for this coming winter on separate wheels.

These said MXV4s didn't do well in the snow even when they were new but, I put up with them for the first two winter however, not this year. I do like their smooth & quiet operation.

My BiL got 70k to 80k from 3 sets … so when I comment on this brand = I have always assumed a fairly hard rubber on several models that are not a “sticky” tire ... Michelin also puts deep tread on them so the hard rubber (and fairly closed) tread can manage rain OK ~ but other than the set of Hydo’s on my Mustang they are good in the rain, but trade off’s don’t make them best at that … my Hydro set went 42k ...

Those would be eaten alive on the 20 miles crushed quartz to/from my camp. Keep them on the pavement and they are hard to beat. But what I need is a tire that can go 20k without a nail in the wrong place
wink.gif

Last edited:
My vans tires seem to last 35000 miles.Three different brands I have had on it.I check my tires air and try to take it easy on them.
I find that mileage kind of unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Am I the only one bothered by you saying 5/32" means 50% worn? You don't keep the tires until they are 0/32"

Yes! The owner was wise to replace them at this point. At most they only had 2/32 life left.

My 1983 Buick LeSabre 5.0 V8 (140 hp) came with General tires that lasted 90k miles. Amazing.

As for Michelin tires. There is a reason they are so expensive. They are the BEST. Michelin, a French company, invented Radial Tires back in 1947-1947. I remember ordering my 1960 Triimph TR3A with Michelin-X Radials. Long before most people even heard of (or knew of) Radial Tires. The FIRST American manufacturer to make Radials was
BFGoodrich back in 1971 (or 1970). I put a set on my 1970 'Cuda 340. Great tire.

Michelins great tires if you drive over 20K a year if you drive 12K like me most years you will never use them up before they start to rot. That is why I buy tires like Hankook much much cheaper and in six years or seven I have all the wear out of them. For about 60% of what I'd pay for Michelins on sale.

The primacy mxv4 OE tires on our Odyssey are 7/32 on the front and 7.5/32 on the rear at 28k miles.

The energy saver AS OE tires on my accord are around the same at 31k.

Traction
This is not really surprising. My last 2 sets of Michelin LTX/MS2's size 275/55/20 I ran to about 80-85k miles to a tread depth of 5/32's and sold them on Craigslist. The last set I sold last April for $280. If I were you I would list them for about $225. You should have no problem getting $200.

Originally Posted By: Crusher
Traction
This is not really surprising. My last 2 sets of Michelin LTX/MS2's size 275/55/20 I ran to about 80-85k miles to a tread depth of 5/32's and sold them on Craigslist. The last set I sold last April for $280. If I were you I would list them for about $225. You should have no problem getting $200.

$30 is plenty for tires that have the best part used up, plus I don't have to pay $16 to throw them away, so I make $46. On top of that they are going to have to pay to get them installed and dispose of theirs instead.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Plus driving in a straight line can result in incredibly good tire wear. This set was doing about 20K per year!

Driving in a straight line makes a HUGE difference! My wife drives 24kmi per year, and I drive 5k turning every block it seems like. Most of my driving is in a 5 mile radius, and I only got 20kmi out of the Michelins on my truck. I go to the grocery store daily to buy fresh, and it is 18 turns in a 2 mile round trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Plus driving in a straight line can result in incredibly good tire wear. This set was doing about 20K per year!

Driving in a straight line makes a HUGE difference! My wife drives 24kmi per year, and I drive 5k turning every block it seems like. Most of my driving is in a 5 mile radius, and I only got 20kmi out of the Michelins on my truck. I go to the grocery store daily to buy fresh, and it is 18 turns in a 2 mile round trip.

Sounds like a different life for oil to survive too …

Somebody is getting a deal on those tires, but also wise to buy new ones if funds allow.

Am I the only one bothered by you saying 5/32" means 50% worn? You don't keep the tires until they are 0/32"
Good point. They were at least 63% worn, not 50%.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Good point. They were at least 63% worn, not 50%.

This is true, but that would also mean they were 20% worn when brand new. Okay so I should have said 50% tread depth.

Last edited:
A major factor for tire life is how the vehicle is driven. A gentle driver who never travels at high speed obviously will get much better tire life than someone with a leaden foot who likes to throw their car round bends. Correct wheel alignment and maintaining the correct pressures are the other obvious factors.
The best authenticated tire life I can attest to was a (UK make) Austin 1800 Which the repair shop I worked at maintained for 13 years. At 130k miles it still had the original rear tires (rotating tires is rarely practiced over her). It also had the original rear brake shoes.
It might be no surprise that they were Michelin tires.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back