OE Michelin's only 50% worn at 85k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me once that part of Michelin's high cost is their inspection process, other tire companies use a sample of a lot to insure quality control whereas Michelin inspects each tire. Not sure if true but that would add to the cost. I also think they are overpriced for my needs but I have two remaining OEM Michelin tires that will be pushing 6 years old and have 55,000 on them and about 5/32 tread life (other two had non repairable punctures) . I keep watching for the cracks but since garaged they do not get the ultraviolet rays to break them down.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Someone told me once that part of Michelin's high cost is their inspection process, other tire companies use a sample of a lot to insure quality control whereas Michelin inspects each tire. Not sure if true ......

No, not true. - BUT -

Originally Posted By: Spector
..... but that would add to the cost. ......

Yes, it would, but what really adds to the cost - well, you'll see it if you continue to read.

In a typical factory, (doesn't matter what they make), there are inspection points all along the way. Incoming raw materials, in process, and final inspection. Each of the inspections has to have an appropriate type of inspection. Obviously one can not do a *test to destruction* for every finished product, because there wouldn't be anything left to sell - so a sampling technique is used.

On the other hand, visually inspecting every tire is not only possible, but I don't know of anyone who isn't doing that. I've heard reports that there are tire manufacturers who don't do any final inspection, but not only don't I believe those reports, they don't make sense relative to the cost equation - that is, inspecting every outgoing tire can prevent reoccurring problems from reoccurring, thereby increasing the cost.

Where Michelin seems to be different is their willingness to discard finished product that doesn't meet their quality standards. It's not that other tire manufacturers don't have standards, but that their quality standards are different.

What is interesting - at least to someone like me who was aware of the situation - was that if the company I worked for could raise its prices 10%, and then throw away the worst 10% of its product, we would have had Michelin quality without the Michelin price. In other words, I think their price is out of proportion. (and a side note: If that is true, then Michelin doesn't have the ability to manufacture superior product. They scrap their way to high quality.)

I still think that a brand new car from the dealer comes with different formulated tires, rotors, brake pads etc. As soon as you start replacing the car manufacture installed Michellins with new Michellins from a tire shop, they never ever last as long. Could it be that the car has fallen apart by the time you get the second set of tires, brake pads, battery, etc.. and no matter what you do, you will never ever bring the car back to manufactures specs. Due to worn parts and worn everything else

Last edited:
I decided not to go back with Michelin tires on the Wife's Armada (275/60/20). They were the OEM tires and were rotated/balanced every 8k but they only made it to 52K.
Meanwhile, with the same care, the oem goodyear wrangler rts tires on my 98 f150 lasted 103K miles before they started leaking on the sidewalls, but still had a good amount of tread on them.

Originally Posted By: Traction

$30 is plenty for tires that have the best part used up, plus I don't have to pay $16 to throw them away, so I make $46. On top of that they are going to have to pay to get them installed and dispose of theirs instead.

The installation cost is the key here. Paying $15-20 a tire to mount a set of $30 makes no sense unless you are just returning the car on a lease and don't want to get dinged on fees.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Traction

$30 is plenty for tires that have the best part used up, plus I don't have to pay $16 to throw them away, so I make $46. On top of that they are going to have to pay to get them installed and dispose of theirs instead.

The installation cost is the key here. Paying $15-20 a tire to mount a set of $30 makes no sense unless you are just returning the car on a lease and don't want to get dinged on fees.

Yes installation cost is key, which is why I'm selling them much cheaper than anyone else on Craigslist. I see so many used tires for sale that are junk, and way overpriced. Someone is buying them today, and they are probably on bald tires, so it is a good deal for them. Personally I would never buy used tires, but for some people it is better than nothing, and can't afford to shell out $500.

Originally Posted By: Gito
I still think that a brand new car from the dealer comes with different formulated tires, rotors, brake pads etc. As soon as you start replacing the car manufacture installed Michellins with new Michellins from a tire shop, they never ever last as long. .......

Sorry, but there are a ton of folks who have experienced the opposite with tires - and I can explain why.

First, vehicle manufacturers spec their tires for good rolling resistance in order top get good fuel economy. That means that treadwear (which vehicle manufacturers don't guarantee) gets sacrificed. It also means that tires sold in the replacement market get better wear - but not as good RR.

While I don't know this, I suspect that the other parts you mentioned have similar situations. For example, OEM brake pads might be designed for reduced noise, but that might mean more rapid wear.

Bottomline: The OEM's have a different situation than the parts stores and long life isn't a priority for them. The OEM parts are different and likely won't wear as long. Having said that, be aware that there are plenty of parts manufacturers who would (and do) make inexpensive parts that don't work nearly as well as the OEM part. Be careful what you compare.

Last edited:
My 2015 Chevrolet Equinox came OEM with Michelin Latitude Tour 225/65/17 tires. Now at 33K miles, the tires are at 7/32's. Should be able to go another 33K before needing to replace them. However, I am not getting Michelin tires next time. These tires ride a bit too firm and can be a bit noisy on anything other than perfect asphalt.

I am willing to sacrifice tread wear for something that may have a more comfortable ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back