OCI with synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Toyota Corolla,121K miles
What is a good OCI change interval for this vehicle? I'm using ST synthetic oil (10W30),Purolator gold filters,and it is driven 60% interstate,40% city.
54.gif

It's hard to say with Supertech I haven't seen any UOA's on the oil. I would guess 5000 to 6000 miles on that oil.

I would go w/ the "Normal" service schedule in your owners manual. Just because you are using a syn doesn't mean extended drain intervals. Syn work best at the extremes IE Heat(Race Track) & Cold (Sub zero) thats where they shine, not on a daily driver. If you are looking for extended drains you need to step up to Mobil1 EP or any Amsoil product that have the add packs designed for extended drains.There nothing wrong w/ the oil you are using it's just not designed for extended drains.
joe

I bet it has a weak add pack.

I would stick with 5-6,000 mile OCI's since the few reports I have seen do not list TBN numbers.

Last edited:
If you were gonna do 6k intervals on supertech full-syn, then what is the point of even using the synthetic? Why not do 5k on ST dino and call it good?

I saw the typical service it sees, but not the annual mileage. With this oil, if it's not too far above 12k, then 6 months would probably work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back