OCI for my Frontier

Ok, for the important info. 2017 Nissan Frontier with 4.0 v/6. Bought in 2019 with 17k on it, now has around 25k . Will change oil this spring after weather warms up some. ( FYI, this will NOT be the first time changing LOL). I have been using Full synthetic 5w30 and Fram Ultra filter, and will use same again. I will probably put around 5k miles on in the next 12 months, with about 1/2 of the miles being long drives spaced out throughout the year. Question is, should I go the full year, or should I change it to fresh oil in the fall so have clean oil for winter. Seems like a waste of synthetic oil to change so soon, right? Oh, by the way Summer or winter it is always garaged in a garage that doesn't get above 90 in the summer or below 40 in the winter, if that makes a difference in recommendations.

What are you running now for oil? I have a 2019 Frontier with the same engine. I just did an oil change and used PP 5/30 Euro L and before that was ST 10/30 syn. My truck feels the same with either oil. I was doing 5K and filter but I just switch to 7 k and filter every other time. I have close to 30,000 miles on it now.

I now have QSUD 5w30 in it. I think I have more of the same to go back in it. Since I will be putting on a Fram ultra filter that is supposedly good for 20000 miles, I may go for 2 oil changes on the filter.

I now have QSUD 5w30 in it. I think I have more of the same to go back in it. Since I will be putting on a Fram ultra filter that is supposedly good for 20000 miles, I may go for 2 oil changes on the filter.
Isn't that the engine that takes the tiny oil filter? XG7317 if I'm not mistaking? If it was XG3600, then I'd see no issue running that for a couple oil changes, but with an oil filter as small as a XG7317 (combined with that engine being known for eating up timing chain components) I'd run an oil filter for one OCI, and switch to Mobil1 0w40. Tons of Nissan/Infiniti owners had great UOAs with that oil in the 3.5L/3.7L/4.0L Nissan engines. Also in the 5.6L V8.

P.S. Running 2008 Infiniti M35 with M1 0W40. Just rolled over 200k miles, no issues or oil consumption. Even though there was slight oil consumption with synthetic 5w30.

Full synthetic, a reasonable temperature range and regular long drives, my OCI would be 12 months / 10,000km / 6,000 miles.

You could probably go further with a UOA, but why bother, your plan is good. Not risky and not wasteful.

Isn't that the engine that takes the tiny oil filter? XG7317 if I'm not mistaking? If it was XG3600, then I'd see no issue running that for a couple oil changes, but with an oil filter as small as a XG7317 (combined with that engine being known for eating up timing chain components) I'd run an oil filter for one OCI, and switch to Mobil1 0w40. Tons of Nissan/Infiniti owners had great UOAs with that oil in the 3.5L/3.7L/4.0L Nissan engines. Also in the 5.6L V8.

P.S. Running 2008 Infiniti M35 with M1 0W40. Just rolled over 200k miles, no issues or oil consumption. Even though there was slight oil consumption with synthetic 5w30.
The 4cyl takes the 6607 sized filter, the 4.0 takes the larger 7317 filter.

To the OP I run Castrol in my VQ40 with no issues

Ive been considering reusing the oil filters as well. The Fram Tough Guards I use are rated 15,000 miles. I may do 2-7500 mile OCIs on the same filter and change every other. If you don’t like the idea of keeping old oil in the filter I don’t see why you can’t just unscrew it and drain what you can put of the old oil and screw it back on.

I would not hesitate to run it a year (actually I’d probably run it past a year if it did not make it to 5000) no problem leaving an Ultra on for 2-3 5000 mile changes either...

Ok, for the important info. 2017 Nissan Frontier with 4.0 v/6. Bought in 2019 with 17k on it, now has around 25k . Will change oil this spring after weather warms up some. ( FYI, this will NOT be the first time changing LOL). I have been using Full synthetic 5w30 and Fram Ultra filter, and will use same again. I will probably put around 5k miles on in the next 12 months, with about 1/2 of the miles being long drives spaced out throughout the year. Question is, should I go the full year, or should I change it to fresh oil in the fall so have clean oil for winter. Seems like a waste of synthetic oil to change so soon, right? Oh, by the way Summer or winter it is always garaged in a garage that doesn't get above 90 in the summer or below 40 in the winter, if that makes a difference in recommendations.
I have the same car, and am running RGT 5w30 (will be switching to Mobil 1 euro 0w40) 12 month 5k is a good number. I’ve stretched out to 7k in the past and oil looked great coming out, consumption wasn’t an issue either just didn’t spring for an analysis because I was switching brands a bunch.

Ive been considering reusing the oil filters as well. The Fram Tough Guards I use are rated 15,000 miles. I may do 2-7500 mile OCIs on the same filter and change every other. If you don’t like the idea of keeping old oil in the filter I don’t see why you can’t just unscrew it and drain what you can put of the old oil and screw it back on.
I don't want to unscrew the filter because that is one of the biggest reasons to me to use it for two times is that for me it is a pain in the you know where to change. Other than that the general consensus is that it is not really a good idea.

Back