To change or not to change?

I live more towards the middle of Indiana, I changed my oil in October and have only put about 2500mi on it since then, I don't plan on changing it until around 5000mi.

Same vehicle here, except 2018. Also severe service by the definition. Many short trips (no commute anymore) and some off-roading and towing. I would (and I do) do 5k which IIRC is the factory recommended OCI.

here’s the truth. just the fact that you are on this forum means that you will change it soon enough. will it blow up at 280k miles when it could have made it to 315k if you had changed it sooner? maybe. will you care? no.

Here’s an idea: change the oil and filter now, using a synthetic oil and quality filter. Then from this point forward, change it every spring. That way, it is changed right after winter (when you may get condensation from short trips).
I've considered this for my vehicles as well, plus the fact that this schedule would have the oil "pre-shear" in the summer months and more "sheared" in the winter...specifically my 0w-40 that shears to a 30 pretty quickly. But, the MDX is at 70% currently on the oil minder...not that I take Honda's calculations as gold but similar mileage/time since the OP's last change and changing it now seems excessive to me.

Get some good 20 mile highway runs in and change it 5,000 miles is my opinion. P.S. I lived in ILL so I know what you are talking about. Ed

For the first time in a long time Im conflicted on my next oci. Have a '19 Nissan Frontier with 21K. Put in fresh QS syn and NAPA Platinum last fall. Since then Ive added about 2K miles, mostly short runs to the gym and back during winter. Low miles but hard use. Change or not?
Whenever I wrestle with to change or not to change, I change the oil. Since CV19 and my wife losing her job, the driving pattern for her 08 Liberty changed, the change wasn't for the better. After a little mental wrestling match and a chat with my buddy @Trav he agreed with my initial thought of two 6 month OCIs regardless of miles. If things go back to "normal" I will return to 6K OCI's which I have UOA data for. I will change the oil in May and November, and run the Fram Ultra filters for a full year. Yes, that's right I will not change the filter with every OCI, a first for this old timer. ;)

Whenever I wrestle with to change or not to change, I change the oil. Since CV19 and my wife losing her job, the driving pattern for her 08 Liberty changed, the change wasn't for the better. After a little mental wrestling match and a chat with my buddy @Trav he agreed with my initial thought of two 6 month OCIs regardless of miles. If things go back to "normal" I will return to 6K OCI's which I have UOA data for. I will change the oil in May and November, and run the Fram Ultra filters for a full year. Yes, that's right I will not change the filter with every OCI, a first for this old timer. ;)
Yes with the COVID-19 last year my usual OCI April and October changed to late June. I'm still running that oil in the Corolla. It now is just short of 5k miles it will get changed out towards the end of this month.

School me on 0w40 I’m hearing about
0w40 was a grade once commonly used to meet european manufacturers specs. higher HTHS viscosity of 3.5 versus high 2s in the average API 5W30. thinner than a 5w30 in extreme cold (-35 or less)

add pack varies between brand but all are “extended performance” by design. good for 15k intervals or more.

For the Civic in my signature(currently at 54K mi), Oil/Filter(CQ 0W20/Ultra) are at 3000 miles(OCI was at 51K mi) in 8 months(Nov 2020) with 80% oil life currently remaining.
Anyone care to comment?

Change it once a year in this usage scenario. I do that now with the Santa Fe. We put a whopping 2800 miles on it since last Novembers oil change. Oil still looks good (means nothing, I know) and is Full on dipstick, so going to run it until November and change it out.

For the Civic in my signature(currently at 54K mi), Oil/Filter(CQ 0W20/Ultra) are at 3000 miles(OCI was at 51K mi) in 8 months(Nov 2020) with 80% oil life currently remaining.
Anyone care to comment?
While I agree that 1X / year in this scenario is probably fine, I personally would go with a 6mo cycle, but I'm a little compulsive about oil changes. I don't know what your driving situation is, but my case is filled with frequent short (less than 5 mile) trips.

Thanks Urshurak776 & Shel_B.
Typically this Civic(daughter's car) get ~13000 mi/yr(2 OCIs) but not this time(military deployment). I've had the car from Jan-July 2021

For the first time in a long time Im conflicted on my next oci. Have a '19 Nissan Frontier with 21K. Put in fresh QS syn and NAPA Platinum last fall. Since then Ive added about 2K miles, mostly short runs to the gym and back during winter. Low miles but hard use. Change or not?
Boy change that oil you want your oil fresh at all times

Back