oil change fall or spring?

Just wondering what the consensus of you all would be. My 17 Frontier with 33k miles is only driven less than 5k per year. about 1/2 the miles are short trip, but it is always long enough to bring the coolant up to full temp. The other 1/2 is 90 miles one way then back the next day. Sometimes much longer. I use full synthetic oil and Fram Ultra filter. I am thinking that maybe once a year is possibly even overkill on oil changes, but assuming I do change yearly, which would you do, spring or fall?? I am also thinking that the filter could do 2 years. I know some will say change filter when oil, and I usually do, but with a quality filter like the ultra, isn't changing at 5k a waste? OH, maybe I should say that the truck is always garaged in a garage that never gets down to freezing in winter, or over 90 in summer.

My 2015 Camry sees about the same amount of miles. I change the oil and filter every 10k miles whenever that happens to be. Why do you think your engine will care what season the oil is changed?

I don't have any preference for spring or fall or even bi-annual, annual or semi-annual oci.

As to mileage, I've seen 5,000 mi oci where a premium extended drain synthetic is used up and 15,000 mi oci where a cheap blend wasn't. To many variables for blanket statements.

I do annuals in the spring. My thinking behind that is the winter is harder on oil around here than than the summer.

I've seen the opposite recommended. The thinking being that winter is harder on oil so better to have it in the best condition for it.

I have never seen any study on the subject. My initial impression is it likely doesn't matter for most applications. The only engines I change the oil in before winter are the ones that spend most of it in hibernation. Most of the other vehicles I change by mileage unless I have warranty requirements.

IMO that driving pattern won't likely matter which season, just get it done and pick a nice day for the OCI. If there was a marginally better time to get old oil out, I'd say after winter's extreme wet/cold might be the best to change in spring. Then again, in some areas dusty hot summers might be good to flush that out in the fall before going into winter. Arguments can be made both ways.

I will say that I would not leave the filter on 2 years. That's a long time to expect a filter and media to hold up even if just sitting. I'd worry about the media breaking down. Filters are very important. I have a M1 1-year 10,000 mile filter on my vehicle now, it's been on for about 17 months but under 1000 miles. I'm going to change it out the next nice day I have time. For mileage it's fine, but it's overdue on time.

Well, since most seem to say spring is the time to change, I guess maybe I'll change it next month as it will be a full year then. But I do think I will run the Ultra another year, especially since it is the old style, which to me just looks better than the new one I bought yesterday. Also, no more than I drive, and since I am almost 80 years old I could probably change oil every 2 years, and wouldn't wear out the engine before I am no longer able to drive. Heck probably never change it.

I'd do it in spring, so while you're under the vehicle inspecting it, if you find something wrong you have (up to) several months to deal with it instead of it soon being the cold of winter.... depends on the climate, if mine were warmer then I wouldn't want to work in 100F weather instead of a heated garage in winter.

Just wondering what the consensus of you all would be. My 17 Frontier with 33k miles is only driven less than 5k per year. about 1/2 the miles are short trip, but it is always long enough to bring the coolant up to full temp. The other 1/2 is 90 miles one way then back the next day. Sometimes much longer. I use full synthetic oil and Fram Ultra filter. I am thinking that maybe once a year is possibly even overkill on oil changes, but assuming I do change yearly, which would you do, spring or fall?? I am also thinking that the filter could do 2 years. I know some will say change filter when oil, and I usually do, but with a quality filter like the ultra, isn't changing at 5k a waste? OH, maybe I should say that the truck is always garaged in a garage that never gets down to freezing in winter, or over 90 in summer.
Spring

Back