Obsolete grade/type: 5W-20 synthetic?

As the title states, is 5W-20 an obsolete grade for full synthetic oils?

I do not see a technical reason for this product to exist when 0W-20 can replace it.

I am also not aware of a single OEM (within the last 5 years) that requires a 5W-20 full synthetic oil for their vehicles.

Seems that way. I don’t think there are any 5w20 Dexos oils anymore either. I still buy it actually for the Jeep but you’re right I could use 0w20 no problem.
Yep, GM says you can use 0W-20 Dexos 1 products in place of 5W-20. TSB#13-00-90-002A, 2/2015.

“Vehicles Factory Filled With dexos1TM 5W-20 Oil Are Approved to Substitute dexos1TM 0W-20 Oil as Optional Top Off and Service Fill

The above listed Model Year vehicles, equipped with the specified engine RPO codes were factory filled with dexos1TM 5W-20 oil and the engines were fitted with engine oil fill caps that say: SAE 5W-20 dexos. GM Powertrain has tested, validated and approved the use of 0W-20 dexos1TM as an acceptable substitute and optional top off and service fill for these vehicles.”

I hope Full Synthetic 10W-30 and 5W-30 don't become obsolete because I like 10W. Besides, the replacement (0W-30) would be more expensive and also overkill for my winter temperatures!

one of my cars recommends 5W-20 but it doesn't force you to use "Full Synthetic" just says 5W-20. So I can use a cheaper blend I assume. granted I never used 20 in this car and mostly use M1 EP 10W-30.

iirc, there was a thread that 5W-20s had better numbers (e.g. less vii, lower Noack, etc) than 0W-20 and something about easier to "manage" the 5W base oil as far as blending or mixing to get the final product. I always thought why not 0W-20 and get rid of 5W-20 but changed my mind after reading that thread.

Last edited:
I've read one long time high number post count member say they prefer 5w20 vs 0W20 at least in some vehicles because of fuel dilution present in some makes/models.

I own and/or help maintain a couple vehicles that either call for 5w20, or it would be an optional choice. In that case, it's nice to have the option if one not available, and/or 5w20 significantly less expensive (closeout oil). When RGT went on closeout at a great price, especially after rebate, stashed several jugs of 5w20 (what they had left). Still have one for either Honda or Nissan use.

At least looking at OM recommendations, 'apparently' Nissan would agree that 5w20 obsolete. They skip right over 5w20, with 0w20 or 5w30 optional rec. Which makes no sense.

Might be, but not for a while. There's still DEX III available. Enough cars on the road still require it and people are buying it enough that companies are making it.

"My engine needs 5-weight-20, stupid. That 0-weight-20 is straight water, I ain't running that! Gonna blow my engine up and it's already out of warranty!"

Yes, I actually heard that. 🤦‍♂️ Guy was on the phone with someone.

"My engine needs 5-weight-20, stupid. That 0-weight-20 is straight water, I ain't running that! Gonna blow my engine up and it's already out of warranty!"

That's like people that run straight 30 (in Vermont winters!) because their cars burn oil.

Both my cars take 5w20. Any oil change place offers me a 5w20 synthetic as the upgraded oil.

Even though recommendations change, people won't put anything in the car but what is marked on the cap that the car came with.

Ford has been using 5w20 in lots of cars for years.

The majority of drivers don't need a 0W winter rated oil, With DI and turbo prevalent, 20 grade should be gathering dust in a jug.
My new Ford that specs a 5W20 allows 0w20 only in the frozen tundra.
I have 10W30 in there; a celebration of Spring with only improvement n performance.

Back to The Critic's question. Ford and Honda that have 5W20 on the 710 cap do not require synthetic.
A decade ago and before latest dexos ILSAC/ASIAN 0W20 were much lighter than the FORD 5W20 which was essentially a
5W30 minus the substantial VM load. A robust oil within its grade.

A nugget of truth of perception in there.
Back when Subaru asked for 0W20 The Idemitsu had a KV40 dipping in to the upper 30's where the ford was around 50cSt. That is greater than 10 cSt difference at 104 deg F. Quite noticeable as nearly non-viscous going down the funnel - to the layperson.

As the title states, is 5W-20 an obsolete grade for full synthetic oils?

I do not see a technical reason for this product to exist when 0W-20 can replace it.

I am also not aware of a single OEM (within the last 5 years) that requires a 5W-20 full synthetic oil for their vehicles.
To answer your first question, No, it is not an obsolete grade for full synthetic. There will be always those vehicles that recommend 5w20. None of those ever required it to be a full synthetic. Those full synthetic oils will be there for those people who want to fulfill their 5w20 requirement. But you are right that 0w20 can fulfill that requirement. But there will be those that will be uncomfortable with that.

Just a guess but 0w requires synthetic and requires more modifiers used. Someone wanting less modifiers or a blend or conventional might want 5w. Also seems that a 0w20 would be less shear stable than 5w20, all things generally equal. Warm climates and summer driving will have no need for 0w either.

Just a guess but 0w requires synthetic and requires more modifiers used. Someone wanting less modifiers or a blend or conventional might want 5w. Also seems that a 0w20 would be less shear stable than 5w20, all things generally equal. Warm climates and summer driving will have no need for 0w either.
You do realize only difference is pour point between 0w20 and 5w20? At kv40 its identical and at kv100 only a fraction of difference. Running in hot climate or cold climate no difference so only concern is around 30 below 0

I've never had a 0w20 shear any more than 5w20. I've had 3 or so runs of 0w20 Shell RGT in my 2008 JK. I found a jug of 5w20 in my old clearance stash of RGT, so that's in it now, but it'll be back to the 0w20 next OCI. It doesn't know the difference. Runs like new on both at 170k.

Back