Oatmeal or cereal?

Used to eat toasted Irish Oatmeal dry

but

Post Great Grains with Pecans is pretty low on the sugar and has lots of grains.
that aren't milled into a death powder

I eat it dry with my Tea.

Need to get some meat in there, though

Cherrios! And All General Mills stuff is garbage.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
why just not start the day with an apple or a pear; that's what I do every morning; if you crave for more than add another apple

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't think I ever had oatmeal. When I see pictures of it, it looks like wallpaper paste so I pass.

This depends on how long you cook them and how much water you add, as well as whether quick oats or regular.

If you don't cook them long then they just absorb the water rather than releasing a lot of starch into it.

If you do overcook them then drain off the liquid, you could literally use it as wallpaper paste except it would be too much of a pain to get all the small oat particles out so there weren't any lumps.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Eggs and sausage

I have had eggs and Canadian bacon every morning for as long as I can remember.

Costco has 7 lb bags of Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut oats. We eat a lot more oatmeal than cereal ; it's more filling and has fewer calories.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
I buy oat bran. About the same as steel cut oats but healthier and easier to prepare.

I'll have to check oat bran out. Thanks.

Normally "old-fashioned" regular rolled oats cooked with dried cherries.

"Instant" oats sometimes at restaurants or motel breakfasts, but that's a very inferior substitute, especially the sweetened kinds.

Cold cereal (preferably one of the few surviving unsugared varieties) with milk in emergencies.

Originally Posted by miden851
why just not start the day with an apple or a pear; that's what I do every morning; if you crave for more than add another apple

Too much sugar for us fatties.

Oatmeal, but I rarely eat either one. For me, I'd rather have grits.

For us diabetics, an apple a day does NOT keep the doctor away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Oatmeal, but I rarely eat either one. For me, I'd rather have grits.

For us diabetics, an apple a day does NOT keep the doctor away.

True. For mush, the key is the portion size. A half a cup of mush for breakfast is alright. Add some protein to the breakfast. Blueberries in the mush are fine.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by miden851

Too much sugar for us fatties.

Too much sugar vs oatmeal and cereal?

Added sugar should be the phrase. Oatmeal and cereal have little sugar in their original form.

The issue is that nobody wants plain stuff. It has to be maple and brown sugar oatmeal or Frosted Flakes with chocolate chips cereal. That's the crux of the matter.

Cereal has been one of my addictions since I was a little kid. I'll sometimes have three bowls at night for my "dessert". I also love oatmeal,malt o meal,and cream of wheat.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
I buy oat bran. About the same as steel cut oats but healthier and easier to prepare.

I buy this stuff called 3 Minute Oats With Oat Bran. I make it with milk and throw in a handful of raisins while it's cooking.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Added sugar should be the phrase. Oatmeal and cereal have little sugar in their original form.

The issue is that nobody wants plain stuff. It has to be maple and brown sugar oatmeal or Frosted Flakes with chocolate chips cereal. That's the crux of the matter.

Apples have a much lower glycemic index than plain oatmeal and probably less carbs per serving size.

Back