Cereal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancee loves cereal but I could take it or leave it.

It's kind of expensive for what it is, and the off brand stuff is pretty bad sometimes.

Honey Nut Cherrios with Almond or Skim Milk. Add two eggs,multi grain toast,a yoplait key lime pie yogurt on the side and you got a light Saturday morning breakfast
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Oatmeal, red beans, raisins, flaxseed meal, Rice Dream rice milk.

Don't forget the Chia seeds to make the meal complete!

Not a fan of chia seeds myself. I eat exactly what Dr. Michael Greger prescribes in his book "How Not to Die". Can say that I'm 54 years old, have no health issues or problems, am on no medications, can run 4 miles in under 30 minutes, can balance on my hands and don't have 3 pounds of fat on me. And don't have ED. So I guess its working.

I have three different cereals in my cupboard that I enjoy, my favorite is Great Grains (the raisin, date, pecan variety) My second favorite is Life cereal (hey Mikey, he likes it!) My third favorite is an old classic, Kellogg's Raisin Bran. Sometimes after dinner when I'm hungry for a snack I'll even have a bowl of cereal, it's not just for breakfast!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Steel cut oats. You'll never eat oatmush again.

Was occasionally force fed 'oat mush' as a kid and everything was wrong about the texture- it was like eating vomit and induced a like response. *shudder* Anything that looks like it makes me gag; a shame since I bet congee tastes great.

Country grain toast with butter and vegemite, butter and honey, butter and jam (strawberry, apricot, blackberry, or marmalade), or honey...and a cup of black tea.

My kids love the powdered toast adds too...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I LOVE all cereal!! I've been a cereal lover since I was a little kid,and still love it haha. Unfortunately two of my favorites have long since changed and cheapened the formulas as companies often do,Count Chocula and Cocoa Puffs. They're both completely different than they used to be and taste disgusting. Last time I bought these two I knew something was wrong when the color and texture was different. So sad.

Grape Nuts Flakes are my current favorite. Hot cereal,chocolate Malt O Meal is the BEST stuff on the planet!!

Yeah, I love cereal too and eat it at any time of day for a meal or snack. I too love Cocoa Puffs. Love that chocolatey milk at the end. I add a lot of extra milk just so I have more of it left after the cereal is gone.
happy2.gif
I actually buy the local stores no name brand of it and it is really good( only complaint is that it is more dense and a little tougher - the original C-Puffs were light and airy ). Haven't bought the real stuff for years and years.

In general I like all kinds of cold cereal. C-Puffs as said but lots of others too like Cocoa Krispies, Apple Jacks, Life, Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Boo Berry, frosted Mini Wheats, Raisin Bran, and various corn flake types that include nuts and berries.

As far as hot cereal goes I pretty much only like oat meal. I like it plain( with milk on it )and I also like it with nuts and fruit or even maple syrup. Like it all kinds of ways. Much prefer to buy the oats and cook it from scratch myself vs. the instant packs though.

I am not a fan of Cream Of Wheat, Farina, etc...

Last edited:
I like many kinds of cold cereal, but for hot cereal, I like oatmeal, preferably the old fashioned kind rather than the quick. With raisins or cheese added. Also I like corn meal mush. It is like liquid cornbread in my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old1
I like many kinds of cold cereal, but for hot cereal, I like oatmeal, preferably the old fashioned kind rather than the quick. With raisins or cheese added. Also I like corn meal mush. It is like liquid cornbread in my opinion.

Cheese in oatmeal? Seriously? Please explain more on that as far as what you use and how to do it and such. I am serious here. Not sure if I am more curious or revolted by the idea. Need more info.

I eat anything that is on sale; if it is less than $1.50 / 12-14 oz I'll eat it. To make it not too sweet I'd blend them, usually cheerios or chex with the sugary one.

Originally Posted By: old1

I ate that nasty stuff once. I have not touched it again. I like farina, grits, oatmeal, steel cut oatmeal, just about every commercial cold cereal. Mush was created by the dude with a pointy tail. If you like it more power to you and you can have mine.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
the original C-Puffs were light and airy ).

^^This EXACTLY!!
cheers3.gif
The original formula Cocoa Puffs (the ones I remember in the 70's) were very light and airy like you said,and had a VERY light dusting of white frost (some kind've sugar). They were really hollowed out and my favorite thing about them is how they'd fill up with milk and the milk would splash out all in your mouth when you'd eat them
laugh.gif
And then there's the ultimate bonus that you'd mentioned,the delicious bowl of chocolate milk you'd have leftover at the end!! When I was a kid I'd eat almost the whole box in one sitting haha!!

The current Cocoa Puffs are small,brown,and hard. Not light and airy anymore,no more white sugar frost,and they're not all hollowed out to fill up with milk.
frown.gif

Anyone old enough to remember when cereal would have Hot Wheels cars inside the box at the very bottom? You'd either have to dig all the way to the bottom to get them out,or pour the entire box out into a huge bowl!!

Anyone old enough to remember when cereal would have Hot Wheels cars inside the box at the very bottom? You'd either have to dig all the way to the bottom to get them out,or pour the entire box out into a huge bowl!!

I remember the days of prizes in cereal yes. I consider that to be something from the good old days. I don't know why cereal companies stopped doing it frankly as it was a great marketing tool. My cereal choice always varied by which one had the best prize inside.

Used to drive my Mom nuts because as you said the second you opened it you were reaching down into it or pouring it out to get to the prize. Also, have to admit I would beg for a certain cereal because of the prize but not like the taste of it. After getting the prize out I wouldn't eat the actual cereal which would get me a lecture on wasting food and the value of money.

She wouldn't buy any more cereal until I ate up what we had. Good old Dad always saved the day though and ate it for me if it was a brand I disliked.

I am sure it all stopped because of law suits and "what if" associated with small toys. I mean god forbid a parent pay attention to and monitor their kid. How people ever survived before all these safety laws is a mystery I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I remember the days of prizes in cereal yes. I consider that to be something from the good old days. I don't know why cereal companies stopped doing it frankly as it was a great marketing tool. My cereal choice always varied by which one had the best prize inside.

Used to drive my Mom nuts because as you said the second you opened it you were reaching down into it or pouring it out to get to the prize. Also, have to admit I would beg for a certain cereal because of the prize but not like the taste of it. After getting the prize out I wouldn't eat the actual cereal which would get me a lecture on wasting food and the value of money.

She wouldn't buy any more cereal until I ate up what we had. Good old Dad always saved the day though and ate it for me if it was a brand I disliked.

I am sure it all stopped because of law suits and "what if" associated with small toys. I mean god forbid a parent pay attention to and monitor their kid. How people ever survived before all these safety laws is a mystery I guess.

Haha awesome!! Sounds like we grew up a lot alike
laugh.gif
I did that same exact thing. I'd choose my cereal based on the toy it came with. My parents quickly caught on and put a stop to that! Haha! I remember also some boxes of cereal would come with a record embossed into the cardboard that you'd have to cut out. I found a couple at a record convention a few years back. One was some studio band doing Dovovan songs and the other was a cartoon sounding band doing songs about the hottest toys of the day to the backing music of Paul Revere and the Raiders songs. They're actually really good!! Do you remember when toothpaste came with a Hot Wheels car attached to the bottom of the box? This must've been in the mid 70s. Yep,definitely the good old days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back