NYC and suburbs, potholes the size of Kansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw one on a street connecting lot of little shops in the center of town, it looked like it would have swallowed me whole. Some of these are so big you have to wonder if the vehicle would ever get out of the hole.

I was up in Decatur, IL yesterday and IL 36 coming into town looked like it had been bombed, the pot holes were so bad. Fortunately, not much traffic so I could weave and bob to miss the biggest craters.

My wife had a pothole related blow out (here in Nassau County.)
She has General tires on her Saab. From the Tire Rack tire reviews, apparently some of the reviewers felt these tires were more susceptible to pothole blowouts. Question: would some over inflation--i.e., 39 pounds vs 33, help prevent another blowout.

She has General tires on her Saab. From the Tire Rack tire reviews, apparently some of the reviewers felt these tires were more susceptible to pothole blowouts. Question: would some over inflation--i.e., 39 pounds vs 33, help prevent another blowout.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen

Yes, but it will ride rougher.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

So slight over inflation offers some protection against pothole damage, didn't know that.

Originally Posted By: R2d2

So slight over inflation offers some protection against pothole damage, didn't know that.

Thats partially correct.

While it will provide somewhat additional protection against tire and wheel damage.

The sharper impacts could be more damaging to your alignment and suspension.

A moderate inflation of perhaps 4-7psi over door on passenger vehicles is usually the sweet spot.(at least for my cars)

Last edited:

That sucks. Nassau potholes are the worst in recent memory. Over inflating your tires might help.

What it does is increase the stiffness, so the tire is less likely to bottom out.

On the other hand, that also increases the stress of the tire cords, making them more likely to break when impacting an object. As has been pointed out, you don't want to over inflate much.

What you are trying to do is prevent the tire from bottoming out - but just barely.

What it does is increase the stiffness, so the tire is less likely to bottom out.

On the other hand, that also increases the stress of the tire cords, making them more likely to break when impacting an object. As has been pointed out, you don't want to over inflate much.

What you are trying to do is prevent the tire from bottoming out - but just barely.

Does this also help prevent the sidewalls from bubbling as long as it is not too much over-inflation??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does this also help prevent the sidewalls from bubbling as long as it is not too much over-inflation??

Sidewall bubbling is usually caused by broken cords - which, in turn, is usually caused by the tire bottoming out when it encounters an object, such as a pothole.

So, yes, increasing the inflation pressure does HELP.

- BUT -

Increasing the inflation pressure increases the stress on the cords - which in turn, increases the risk of an object that is relatively pointed to overstressing the cords to the breaking point.

Think of a tire rolling over a pipe vs rolling over a ball. The ball tends to concentrate the force to a smaller area than rolling over the pipe does - ergo, the ball is more likely to break the tire.

On the Northern State with roving road repairs, that back traffic for 3 miles at 1 pm, it is 4 cars and it is back where it was. It takes 9 guys staring into space. Nothing ever changes.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Donald
In NYC they fill the pot holes with ice for the winter. Its smooth until the ice melts.

Exactly, then if they do fix them ten guys stand around and supervise while one guy packs some asphalt in and taps it down. That holds up for about 5 cars driving over it, basically just long enough for the repair truck to drive away. Great job security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back