Towing on Pmetric

I have towed all over the country on P-Metric tires aired up near maximum inflation without any problems or sidewall issues. As with another poster above-it's a 5,000 pound travel trailer. If you want to degrade your ride-get heavier mass tires.

These are just tires that were quoted me by local stores when I told them I wasn't spending for Michelin or BStone. I'm sure people would say the same thing about the Delta's that have been on there but honestly they gave me 0 problems and performed everything I needed of them. If I could buy another set just like them I would in a heartbeat and not think twice.
Listen, don't get me wrong, your money, you can do whatever you want.
But the difference between Michelin/Bridgestone/Continental/Pirelli and Delta is that one time you REALLY need them.
Tomorrow, you will try to find the best rotors or pads that can support towing, yet they will be good only as tires are. It is THE MOST important safety item on a vehicle.

I'd trust milestar and Arturo before the other 2 brands. They're atleast Taiwanese instead of Chinese
These are just tires that were quoted me by local stores when I told them I wasn't spending for Michelin or BStone. I'm sure people would say the same thing about the Delta's that have been on there but honestly they gave me 0 problems and performed everything I needed of them. If I could buy another set just like them I would in a heartbeat and not think twice.

Real facts, capacities and operational conditions are what's needed here.
Road noise considerations for a truck always left me scratching my head.
Anyway, I "always thought" P tires on a pick-up or van was almost a ghetto thing to do.
Ghetto to use the same type of tires that came on the truck?
your definition is different than mine....

Also Modern trucks spec a higher load rating(numerically) tire than in 1990 when upgrading to a LT C range tire was a good idea.
A modern 1/2 ton truck such as a ram 1500 would have tires 275/55r20
in 1990 a f150 had 215/75SR15 or 235/75SR15

any recent 1/2 ton trucks will do fine with P-metric tires.

I understand newer trucks have tires spec'd with higher load ratings but I don't know how that currently translates to sidewall stability and that ultimately was my question. I have towed on what felt like marshmellows in the past and would like to avoid that feeling but its been 30 years ago now and tires and suspension have come along way as well. I'm not trying to exceed common sense and pull 10k pounds on the interstate at 85 with a half ton but if heavier duty tires are more stable or help stave off sway at 70 then that is something I am interested in. As I have read many times before on here the factory is going to put on what meets the minimum requirements but doesn't mean that is the best option for all users. On the few vehicles I have bought new some of the factory tires were some of the worst tires I have had overall in my opinion.

I have had Michelin, Bridgestone Continental etc that were on various vehicles when I bought them and have never felt like I could tell a noticeable difference that justified the extra money the next time around but thats just me. Growing up where I did in rural Iowa you hardly if ever saw those premium tires and majority of tires were private label or at least second tier and I don't remember anyone having excessive problems with them so I guess that has carried with me. I was never trying to convince anyone they shouldn't buy those I was just looking for advice on the towing side between the different types of tires with the understanding that I had not been running premium tires and was going to stick with more inexpensive tires.

p-metric tow fine. If its swaying bad you need to adjust your load or slow down depending on the cause.
You are also not towing more than the weight of the truck.. which makes a difference.

P-metric is fine. The empty truck doesn’t have much weight there, and even a good sized travel trailer or boat is only putting tongue weight over the rear tires. I might air my p-metrics up to 40-42 if towing heavy. Tires were never an issue… shocks and weight distributing hitch were much more central.

My boss has those milestar ATs on his truck and admittedly they have been a workhorse tire. Remind me a bit of cooper ATs. Of the list, those would be my first choice. Surprisingly quiet for what they are. Good, heavy tires. I would also consider the Firestone A/T as well for good value.

Walmart sells the old cooper at3 as "discoverer all terrain" for like $160 a piece in my size (265/75/16 E)

I buy E tires because they usually have a little bit more rubber in the sidewall and more tread depth and I've still killed one on some sharp rocks.

The p sizes are $10 cheaper

Last edited:
Back