NYC and suburbs, potholes the size of Kansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove into NYC and back to Long Island and the pothole are just insane.The long island exprw that leads into NYC had to have at least 50 cars on the side of the road with flats.It was a white knuckle drive dodgeing the potholes.

In Kansas they have potholes the size of NYC.

Nothing beats Rhode Island. They haven't had money to fix roads since 1982.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Odd title since KS is bigger than NYC.
, the State of NY and the State of Rhode Island and maybe CT combined.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In NYC they fill the pot holes with ice for the winter. Its smooth until the ice melts.

Exactly, then if they do fix them ten guys stand around and supervise while one guy packs some asphalt in and taps it down. That holds up for about 5 cars driving over it, basically just long enough for the repair truck to drive away. Great job security.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Donald
In NYC they fill the pot holes with ice for the winter. Its smooth until the ice melts.

Exactly, then if they do fix them ten guys stand around and supervise while one guy packs some asphalt in and taps it down. That holds up for about 5 cars driving over it, basically just long enough for the repair truck to drive away. Great job security.

Don't forget the 2 guys in trucks with caution lights blocking/protecting the workers.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Odd title since KS is bigger than NYC.

So how do you get a flat? Tailgate so you can't see the pothole until you're on top of it? Underinflated low-profile tires?

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Westchester is no better my friend. They are DEEP!

There were these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the bathroom. One fellar said, "The water's cold" and the other fellar said, "The water's deep". I believe one fella come from Arkansas. Get it?

Lots of good-size potholes around Rochester, NY also. The plows scraping every little frost heave clean off the pavement and opening it up for snow to thaw/freeze in didn't help any.

I've hit a HUGE hothole at the gym a few times now. I'm sure it messes up the alignment on the focus. I'm bringing a bag of gravel and filling the stupid thing in.

The roads are bad this year, even for my truck.

The sports cars with little sidewalls must be destroying wheels left and right.

Route 202 between Lahaska and Doylestown is worse than the Burma Road!!
Most autocrosses I've driven have lesser slalom sections in them than what I am forced to do to avoid cracking; front a-arms, sway bar mounts, wheels, cross member, etc.

It is sooo bad that there are parts where you CANNOT avoid them (right across BOTH lanes/directions), so one must slow down to a stop and creep through them, risking a collision with those who just do not care (or are so wealthy they can afford ANY repairs, no matter how extensive).
frown.gif
mad.gif

Yep just had that at my street..

12 man crew. 2 follow vehicles

probably costing over 400$/hour

I ran over one on my way back from store and it sounded like hitting a sand mound..

they also pick the 0F days when they are full of salty sludge to do it.

I dont even think they tamp it down here..

just a few pats with a shovel.

if a big truck hits it first.. the whole thing fly out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Lots of good-size potholes around Rochester, NY also. The plows scraping every little frost heave clean off the pavement and opening it up for snow to thaw/freeze in didn't help any.

Yes, we often get holes the size of tourist attractions
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back