Nut Holding Question for Engineers: Lock washers, lock tabs, castle nuts, nylock, and Loctite

Keep in mind: threaded fasteners rely on stress produced in the threads to maintain tightness. Proper torque is essential.

The addition of any other kind of locking device (with the exception of the typical split washer) is just gravy.

In my career I have used torque and wrenches. Locktite.. nylocks...split and star washers.. and drilled and used wired safety cables on race cars and motorcycles and aircraft. Also castle nuts.
In my opinion the drilled and safety wired is the best.. castle nuts second and locktite number 3

When I was younger I worked in a shop that built lots of stroked big block Chevrolets and put them in speed boats. All of the regular engine stuff, rods, heads, mains, etc got torqued and that was that but engine plate bolts that went through the bulkheads to mount the engines got flat washers on both sides, a lock washer on the nut side and then a Nylock nut with blue Loctite. The plate to block bolts, exhaust header bolts, bellhousing bolts all got safety wire. No wonder it used to take forever to set these things up.

A boss that I had decades ago had the best line: "Give an engineer a bottle of Loctite, and he forgets everything he ever learned."

As a matter of fact, I just completed a presentation this week on critical bolted joint analysis of an engine project I'm working on.
No Loctite being considered.

Back