Nut Holding Question for Engineers: Lock washers, lock tabs, castle nuts, nylock, and Loctite

Something I've been pondering for a while and wanted to see if I could get answers on this. On our cars and almost everything else, we want our bolts/nuts to stay in place

I can think of the following methods that are used to keep things in place:

1. Proper torque

2. Spring lock washers, or alternatively the "star" type washers

3. Castle nuts and cotter pins

4. Thread lock compound like the various flavors of Loctite

5. Lock tabs

6. Nylock nuts

Obviously some of these are situation dependent as to which holds best, but I'm wondering what is ideal:

A lot of critical engine bolts I'm familiar, rod caps in particular, but also head bolts/studs and others, seem to rely on only torque to hold them in place. This seems quite a reliable method, and I doubt that there's a fastener that's under more stress in a vehicle than the rod bolts.

Lock tabs seem sort of passé, but I do encounter them on older British stuff. I generally don't replace them, and instead go with something else depending on the application. I've been told that they really don't accomplish anything and will bend and deform to allow rotation if the fastener really wants to rotate.

Similarly, I've also been told that lock washers, which are still ubiquitous in a lot of applications, don't really accomplish anything either. Whether dealing with the traditional spring type or the star type, I can see that they won't accomplish a lot unless they can "dig in" to the mating surfaces, and I don't really see one doing that on the underside of a grade 8 bolt. Still, though, I keep them and always replace them with new when I remove an old one.

Loctite I know can be used in combination with the above, although I understand also that it can mess with proper torque(since as my little brain understands it, when a fastener is torqued you want it tight enough that fastener is under the correct amount of tension, but we can't easily measure that so torque is an easily measured stand-in value).

The places where I've used castle nuts it seems like ultimately you're really relying on the torque to hold it in place. Split pins are relatively weak, and if a nut in a high stress situation wanted to let go I'm wondering how the split pin would even be able to hold it. The split pin almost seems belt-and-suspenders.

When I've done suspension work, castle nuts are ubiquitous in many places. I've bought newer replacements where the part wasn't even drilled for a split pin, and Nylock nuts were supplied. The tie rod ends I have sitting in the garage now are that way. As I understand it, tapered joints such as you often find in suspension applications are designed to hold really without any fastener(as anyone who's ever worked on suspension knows, they don't come lose easily) and the bolt is just insurance. Nylock seems perfect for this since it just needs to avoid vibrating loose.

Do I have this summarized correctly? Are there situations where things like locktabs or lock washers would be considered appropriate?

Any good assessment of failure scenarios would give you your answer. All will be situational.
Also, at, "...and the bolt is just insurance", did you mean to say, "nut"?

Suspension parts with castle nuts are idiot proof so if the taper for whatever reason doesn't "take" and rattles around in there, the rotation of the steering knuckle won't also spin the nut off.

You neglected to mention lock wire and lock cable, big in aviation and marine.

you forgot:

(1) safety wire
(2) welding the nut to the bolt
(3) JB welding the nut to the bolt
(4) overtorquing the beejeeezus out of the nut so that no one else can every remove it.
(5) 1-4 combined, which is by far the safest possible method and the only method approved by the Interstellar Spacecraft Information Society, or "ISIS" for short.

you forgot:

(1) safety wire
(2) welding the nut to the bolt
(3) JB welding the nut to the bolt
(4) overtorquing the beejeeezus out of the nut so that no one else can every remove it.
(5) 1-4 combined, which is by far the safest possible method and the only method approved by the Interstellar Spacecraft Information Society, or "ISIS" for short.
You forgot (4)(b) -- crossthread everything and just keep turning until it's a friction fit. Can't fall off if it can't spin off! [taps side of head]

Some interesting reading. Nord-Lock will email you a link to a free pdf "book". Nord-Lock are expensive but very useful in some situations

Nordlocks are the only thing that worked on the muffler of my gas rc airplane engines and 30cc rc truck.

Last week I did a safety inspection on a 1946 Austin 8, not a restoration, it's been on the road a long time, but not a daily of course. We normally have ''discussions'' with the owner because he knows everything about Austin 8's, and we are just a couple of dumb mechanics who have been doing this for over 50 years. Anyway, I found no splitpins on both ends of the drop arm and both tierod ends....the nut on one of the tierods had actually backed halfway off. The boss was a bit shocked as he had done the last inspection...but with the amount of thick crud I had to dig out of the castle nuts, I think it has been like that for decades. So, at least 20 or 30 years without the safety of a locking device, and even where a nut had backed off, the taper was still in place.

Not saying they are not required....but are they really essential ?

I only think if its new anyone can do and if its used only experience must prevail

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
Suspension parts with castle nuts are idiot proof so if the taper for whatever reason doesn't "take" and rattles around in there, the rotation of the steering knuckle won't also spin the nut off.

You neglected to mention lock wire and lock cable, big in aviation and marine.
And racing, most sanctioning bodies have very strict rules on what must be safety wired if it isn't the you don't pass tech.

On some applications I have double nutted instead of using only one nut, and tightened the second outside nut hard against the nut that was first put on. While I have used double nuts on some other applications, in particular I almost always used it when doing engine mount bolts on gas ( castor oil and nitro ) engines for RC model airplanes. I found it worked very well, after decades of flying them and thousands of flights, I never had one come loose. Also I always drilled the mount holes of the engines for one size larger bolt and used one size larger bolt.

Something my dad taught me when I was young was always mount every engine you ever mount with as strong of bolts as you can.

Last edited:
Double nuts are not legal here. Every road vehicle has to have a safety check to be on the road, and on trucks, no double nuts were allowed. All other locking methods are approved, but not double nuts.

I like the double nut idea (stops on threaded rod, for instance) but find it very impractical to actually perform with any precision.
Do you torque the first and then the second without 'stopping' the first?
I generally only use it where the two nuts are only forced against each other - a 'jam' if you will.

Double nuts are not legal here. Every road vehicle has to have a safety check to be on the road, and on trucks, no double nuts were allowed. All other locking methods are approved, but not double nuts.
Interesting.

While I guess they wouldn’t see it, how would they allow cars like the older MB sedans, which used this approach for mounting shocks to the body?

You forgot (4)(b) -- crossthread everything and just keep turning until it's a friction fit. Can't fall off if it can't spin off! [taps side of head]
I took a 120 mile round trip in the Rat and noticed a shake in the front end and noise like I was about to lose a wheel Going home, I stayed in the right lane and made it home without incident. Turns out 3 wheel studs on the left front had been stretched to the point they were spinning in the hub. The wheel wobbled, but couldn't fall off. In fact it took me most of a day to the wheel off. Turns out I replaced 3 on the left and all 10 lug nuts.

Back