Nulon Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here had any experiance with these oils.

Doug what do you think of these?

Nulon 100% Synthetic Motor Oil contains Nulon's unique "Advanced Additive Technology" AAT dramatically reduces friction and provides exceptional wear protection under all extremes. It provides superior cold start circulation and high temperature stability.

The guy at Bursons told me that they are one of the best oils out there but he didnt seem that bright since he told me that 5w40 is too thin for my rb30 engine and that i should go for a 10w40. Could be just retail incentive from Nulon.

Any thoughts?

Well, they have a very nice website. I like the video tour and the ability to download images. If I lived in your lovely country I might give them a try.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, they have a very nice website. I like the video tour and the ability to download images.

Might be onto something here. A new banchmark of oil performance lol...

Yes, they are very fond of using Teflon, they did tell me via email that they dont use it in any of their oils. I am not sure if they blend it themselves or not. For the RB30, a 5W40 or 10W40 will suit, even a 10W50 is good for those things. They also have their own 5W40 anyway.

Last edited:
I was curious today as i have to get some oil to service my XR6 and i wasn't that busy at work so i gave them a call.

Don't know if i was put through to the Nulon Company Idiot, but i asked him whats the Base Stock Group that they use in there 100% Fully Synthetic Oils (eg.10w40).
Nulon Man: How can i help you?(i was transferred to him by the secretary cos he is there "oil technician")
Me: I was just curious whats the Base Stock group that you use in your Synthetic Oils.
Nulon Man: Its Synthetic Base Stock.
Me: Okay so is it Group 4 POA, or 5 Ester( fat chance thinking to my self).
Nulon Man: Yes its fully synthetic.
Me: But which group.
Nulon Man: Am...(thinking..looking)Group 3.
Me: So its not a true synthetic then!
Nulon Man: No its it Group 3 is fully synthetic.
Me: No its not, Group 3 is Dino oil that's refined. Group 4 POA and Group 5 Ester are True Synthetics.
Nulon Man: (you can hear the crickets in the background)
Me: Anyhow, thats fine i thought that you used Group 3 Base stock cos the oil is quite cheap. My other question is Regarding your Fully Synthetic ATF Oil. You state that its okay to use instead of TQ95, so has it been tested in the Ford BA Falcon Transmission, and have Ford approved this oil as a substitute?
Nulon Man: No, but it will be fine.
Me: Okay thanks.

Anyhow, its a bit disappointing that there "Oil Technicians" don't know about there base stock or its just company policy to say its fully synthetic.

His phone manner was very unprofessional, and i felt like i was speaking with someone playing the guessing game.

But i know there not the only ones that call Group III Fully Synthetic and its in there right to advertise like the competition.

All in all i still think that they make good products.

group 3 is called synthetic. Castrol had a judge rule on it, and according to the judge group 3 is synthetic. you cannot find group 3 in the ground, you have to take crude oil as a raw material, heat it up under pressure and add hydrogen atoms to it, and what happens is that you "synthesize" a new product called group 3. because you had to synthesize it, then by definition, it is synthetic. Castrol group 3 synthetics, in fact are SUPERIOR to group 4 and 5 synthetics in many ways, and are much cheaper to make, but Castrol charges for them as if they are group 4 or 5. That is because the CEO of Castrol is a greedy cheating crook, like many other CEO's, and he thinks he DESERVES his 25 million dollar bonus, as opposed to what he really deserves, which is a boot in the arse, and a trip to the unemployment office.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Most 'syns' these days are Group III it seems. Where are you in Oz?

Am in Melbourne.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
group 3 is called synthetic. Castrol had a judge rule on it, and according to the judge group 3 is synthetic. you cannot find group 3 in the ground, you have to take crude oil as a raw material, heat it up under pressure and add hydrogen atoms to it, and what happens is that you "synthesize" a new product called group 3. because you had to synthesize it, then by definition, it is synthetic. Castrol group 3 synthetics, in fact are SUPERIOR to group 4 and 5 synthetics in many ways, and are much cheaper to make, but Castrol charges for them as if they are group 4 or 5. That is because the CEO of Castrol is a greedy cheating crook, like many other CEO's, and he thinks he DESERVES his 25 million dollar bonus, as opposed to what he really deserves, which is a boot in the arse, and a trip to the unemployment office.

Yeah i know how there made scoob. And i have no problem in useing them. But it all depends on what your definition of "fully synthetic" is.

they full synthetic line seems to have a very low TBN for their "long-life" claim (does not mention specific km). i think it is 6.9 or so? correct me if i am wrong. i think if you want to go 15,000km i'd like to start with a TBN of above 9.

Originally Posted By: CIRHS
Anyhow, its a bit disappointing that there "Oil Technicians" don't know about there base stock or its just company policy to say its fully synthetic.

His phone manner was very unprofessional, and i felt like i was speaking with someone playing the guessing game.

I don't know why people think the "tech support" people who answer the phone at motor oil companies (or any type of company) are engineers or PhD's. The just hire some hourly workers and give them a FAQ book and hope they answer basic questions that the customers have.

I've been using the Nulon 10W-30 in my Ford Festiva (Aspire for you yanks!) 1.5L

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/10W-30_Hi-Tech_Fast_Flowing_Engine_Oil/

I'm nearly up to my 2nd oil change after purchasing the car. 10,000km OCI and I've only needed to top it off once. It basically uses next to no oil.

I orginally chose this oil as it was the cheapest (but not nastiest) 30 weight oil I could find.

I guess I'll keep on using this oil until it starts consuming oil. Then I'll step up to a 40 weight, probably Delo 400 15W-40 (as I use that in my motorbike).

I believe this oil is a group II. The only thing I've noticed is that the engine makes a bit of a racket now when started from cold as though there is no lubrication being applied to the top end of the engine. It quitens down after about 3 seconds. This has recently started and I guess (not having done a UOA) that this signals the end of the oil's life.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it. It's a cheapish oil for my cheap car. However my cheap car does not consume any oil which is good especially as I'm using a 30 weight.

Anyone else in Aus use this?

You could wait for Castrol Edge 5w30 sales by Supercheap, pretty cheap for a group III stuffs, $38+ for 5L.

But since i change my oil yearly, i might as well spend abit more for better quality stuff like Amsoil, you know you could get it at $16 per quart from ebay au.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Yes, they are very fond of using Teflon, they did tell me via email that they dont use it in any of their oils. I am not sure if they blend it themselves or not. For the RB30, a 5W40 or 10W40 will suit, even a 10W50 is good for those things. They also have their own 5W40 anyway.

I THOUGHT TEFLON DIDNT BELONG IN THE OIL!!!!

.. Didnt DuPont say go from saying it was "Harmless" to "It has no Business in an Engine" to "Stop calling it Teflon?"

I guess it either:

1) Floats Harmlessly, HOPING to Stick to Metal like the Teflon Sprays for Cooking Pans; OR

2) Acts like Blue Devil and Plugs it.. again, maybe lucky and maybe NOT!

54.gif

Originally Posted By: dirtydannyd
I've been using the Nulon 10W-30 in my Ford Festiva (Aspire for you yanks!) 1.5L

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/10W-30_Hi-Tech_Fast_Flowing_Engine_Oil/

I'm nearly up to my 2nd oil change after purchasing the car. 10,000km OCI and I've only needed to top it off once. It basically uses next to no oil.

I orginally chose this oil as it was the cheapest (but not nastiest) 30 weight oil I could find.

I guess I'll keep on using this oil until it starts consuming oil. Then I'll step up to a 40 weight, probably Delo 400 15W-40 (as I use that in my motorbike).

I believe this oil is a group II. The only thing I've noticed is that the engine makes a bit of a racket now when started from cold as though there is no lubrication being applied to the top end of the engine. It quitens down after about 3 seconds. This has recently started and I guess (not having done a UOA) that this signals the end of the oil's life.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it. It's a cheapish oil for my cheap car. However my cheap car does not consume any oil which is good especially as I'm using a 30 weight.

Anyone else in Aus use this?

OK Then.. How is "Duckhams" over there?

Only other company i know of there is Esso, what we call Exxon..

Originally Posted By: CIRHS
Has anyone here had any experiance with these oils.

Doug what do you think of these?

Nulon 100% Synthetic Motor Oil contains Nulon's unique "Advanced Additive Technology" AAT dramatically reduces friction and provides exceptional wear protection under all extremes. It provides superior cold start circulation and high temperature stability.

The guy at Bursons told me that they are one of the best oils out there but he didnt seem that bright since he told me that 5w40 is too thin for my rb30 engine and that i should go for a 10w40. Could be just retail incentive from Nulon.

Any thoughts?

There are dusty old bottles of this stuff in a local clearance store for like $.30/qt and that nulon/anulon teflon treatment inn a bunch of varieties for $.30-$.50 per can. They have cases and cases of it. I looked at it for about 2 seconds until I saw "PTFE" on the can.

FYI

I dropped the oil out after 10,000km it was a little sludgy. Not too bad, but there was a bit of sludge at the bottom of the drain pan as I was pouring it into an empty container.
Car's just been used as a daily runabout. Mainly city. No dirt. Moderate temperatures.
So seeing as though I'd bought another 6l container, I'm using it again (probably twice as it only takes about 3.5l), but only for 8,000km this time.
After that I'll use Delo 400 and run that the full 10,000km.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back