NuFinish

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve_RI:
The problem I find with Nufinish is that it stains vinyl and plastic something fierce.

Use Wesson oil, or peanut butter, any vegetable will work.

True, but why bother when you can use something like Klasse, as Amkeer mentioned, that does not stain in the first place
smile.gif

quote:

True, but why bother when you can use something like Klasse, as Amkeer mentioned, that does not stain in the first place

Too expensive.

Most if not all OTC polishes/waxes stain plastic. It's not a big deal, just clean it off.

These "whiz bang" mail order/hard to find/super expensive German/Import waxes/polishes are probably (most likely) very good but I'm not bothering with a super expensive polish. I just need something that will last a whole year but not destroy the clearcoat. NuFinish works for me, but I want to know if anyone has experienced any problems w/ NuFinish destroying the paint surface.

Actually the Klasse I bought from the Toyota dealer. I paid around $14 and the bottle will last many years since you put on very, VERY little. As Steve mentioned it will not stain rubber and you can use it on your exterior plastic and glass. Good stuff!
cheers.gif

Actually it was repainted in 1992 so it wasn't the original finish. The clear didn't peel it oxidized rapidly for some unknown reason. It only oxidized on the hood and roof the rest was in good shape. This leads me to believe the finish wasn't properly protected from UV.
dunno.gif

Ah... it might have been a poor repaint - the hood, roof, and trunk require a different painting process than the rest of the car (expensive).

I agree that some of the waxes and polishes are expensive, but Klasse is truly a good value. It lasts longer than a wax and you definitely do need very little product per application. The other disadvantage to something like Nufinish is the dust or excess product that collects between the door frames, panels, and windows that you have to go dig out.
rolleyes.gif

cheers.gif

I've used NuFinish on my Cherokee for 7 years. Usually put it on in the Spring, then again in the Autumn, and water beads up like it was just applied. My paint looks as new as can be expected, the only exception being the knicks and dings that come with driving. I'll use NuFinish as long as I can find it.

I've been using NuFinish for years and my paint looks pretty d*mn good for a 12 year old car. It's does have a bad rap but I don't beleive it causes the damage I've heard blamed on it. It does eat plastic trim as I found out because my bottle didn't have the warning on it that showed up on later bottles.

You are the first that I have ever heard that used the Amosil. I have seen it on the shelf but like their vitamin supplements, just doesn't seem compatable with lubrication products.

Can't believe it still beads up and looks great after 2 years though

[ August 21, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

fyi

Amsoil does not produce supplements. The are products developed by "Minnesota Vitality" and sold by a division of Amsoil called Altrum. Most of the supplements are also marketed under other brands in differnt formulations but there are a few exclusive to Altrum only.

The auto polish has been around for a very long time. Easy on and easy off, thats what I want.

Mike, how well does it bead after 2 years??

What about the hood, roof, and trunk/bed of your truck? The top surfaces oxidize QUICKLY under the summer sun.

The best polish I have used is sold by Amsoil. I did my truck in early 2001 and have not touched it since. Thats Lake Superior....
 -

pic

[ August 21, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

In like new condition. i got some more photo's I took last week.

btw-I have only hand washed this truck 1 or 2x in the last 2 yrs. I alwys use the touchless Laser 6000 car wash. Hard on my back to wash vehicles.

fyi
If you are wondering if that sand is gray, it is. Those are tailing (crusher mine rock) from Copper Mining operations that took place in the late 1800's. You can see the old smokestack (see below) stil standing today, most all of the other building fell apart or were demolished in the 30's.

-
 -

The NGS Data SheetSee file dsdata.txt for more information about the datasheet.DATABASE = Sybase ,PROGRAM = datasheet, VERSION = 6.81
1 National Geodetic Survey, Retrieval Date = AUGUST 22, 2003
SG0163 ***********************************************************************
SG0163 DESIGNATION - GAY ABANDONED MINE STACK
SG0163 PID - SG0163
SG0163 STATE/COUNTY- MI/KEWEENAW
SG0163 USGS QUAD - GAY (1975)
SG0163
SG0163 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL
SG0163 ___________________________________________________________________
SG0163* NAD 83(1994)- 47 13 36.09517(N) 088 09 43.29836(W) ADJUSTED
SG0163* NAVD 88 -
SG0163 ___________________________________________________________________
SG0163 LAPLACE CORR- -9.58 (seconds) DEFLEC99
SG0163 GEOID HEIGHT- -35.63 (meters) GEOID99
SG0163
SG0163 HORZ ORDER - THIRD
SG0163
SG0163.The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods
SG0163.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in February 1997.
SG0163
SG0163
SG0163.The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
SG0163
SG0163.The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
SG0163
SG0163; North East Units Scale Converg.
SG0163;SPC MI N - 272,225.187 7,911,995.150 MT 1.00003817 -0 50 23.6
SG0163;UTM 16 - 5,231,011.049 412,031.019 MT 0.99969510 -0 51 10.9
SG0163
SG0163 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL
SG0163
SG0163 NAD 83(1986)- 47 13 36.08737(N) 088 09 43.26990(W) AD( ) 4
SG0163 NAD 27 - 47 13 36.36000(N) 088 09 42.89000(W) AD( ) 3
SG0163
SG0163.Superseded values are not recommended for survey control.
SG0163.NGS no longer adjusts projects to the NAD 27 or NGVD 29 datums.
SG0163.See file dsdata.txt to determine how the superseded data were derived.
SG0163
SG0163_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 16TDT1203131011(NAD 83)
SG0163_MARKER: 63 = STACK
SG0163
SG0163 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By
SG0163 HISTORY - 1939 FIRST OBSERVED CGS
SG0163
SG0163 STATION DESCRIPTION
SG0163
SG0163'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1939 (FBQ)
SG0163'IT IS A BRICK STACK, ESTIMATED FROM MEMORY, AS ABOUT 100 FEET
SG0163'HIGH. IT HAS BEGUN TO DISINTEGRATE.

*** retrieval complete.
Elapsed Time = 00:00:00

[ August 22, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I have not used it but my Mom has been using it for the last 12 years on her 88 honda Accord...paint is still in showroom condition

I SERIOUSLY doubt Nu Finish is "harmful" in any way. It's been around for a long time, and few waxes are that different from the others that something in it will act so differently from everything else.

That said, you can do better for your money. As said, it stains trim horribly, and slickness and durability aren't fantastic for your troubles. Also, it reeks of kerosene, a cheap solvent to use in place of better ones that don't stink.

I wouldn't compare Zaino to Nu Finish or any other OTC wax since they're really targeted to a different user base. Zaino should be preceded by proper preparation when you use it. OTC waxes are 95% of the time cleaner waxes that don't "clean", but have mild abrasives in them so that they are "self prepping". The level of abrasiveness can vary sometimes, but none of them are really that strong. Most people don't know any better than to simply wash the car and start waxing away, so that's what these products are designed to accomodate. Pure waxes and other cleanerless boutique products usually don't take too well to being applied to a unprepped or neglected surface.

I have used NuFinish for over 2 years. I'm a detail freak compaired to most(I sure as heak don't have 500 coats on my car...CRAZY!) I tried several waxes over the last 10 years or so (Mothers, Turtle wax, Zymol, Miguaires, and a few other you find at Wal Mart, nothing like exotic mail order stuff. I have found that NuFinish OUT LASTS ALL OTHERS BY FAR!!!!! I used NuFinish on our Impala and followed the directions: Apply 1st coat and 2nd coat in a month for max protection. After 9 months the NuFinish was still very slick after you washed the car and the diry was off. Water beaded like it was just applyed. The Impala was keeped out side for the most part. I sold it after the 9 months so I don't know haw long it lasted after that. Durring this test I tested Miguairs and Zymol on my other 2 cars in the same conditions as the NuFinish and both were gone in 3 months. I'm sold on NuFinish and I believe it is a good product. It worried me at 1st when I heard some folks say it ruined their paint and my 1st thought was to find a new wax but after thinking about this for a day or 2 I realized NuFinish was not at fault and these folks just had bad paint(so many cars have bad paint especially in the 80's).

I highly reccomend NuFinish! Maybe Some day I'll try Zianos but I doubt it will out peform NuFinish. Some products are just highly overrated and don't perform at all to what their reputation says about them, like K&N air filters! But befor I say that I'll give it a fair shot.

I'm of the opinion that Nu Finish is "pretty good". I've used it, I like it, but it's not the best out there. I just picked up my first bottle of Liquid Glass, however, and it IS the best out there. My first experiment was my mom's car that hasn't been waxed since she bought it a few years ago (it's 98 Volvo V70). It had all these stains on it from water and such, and the liquid glass took them off, and it looks like new!! But I digress.

Nu finish does last a while, but as someone else said, leaves a bit to be desired as far as a deep shine goes.

I started using NuFinish a couple of years ago and it's OK. The shine isn't all that deep and it's not all that slick, but it lasts better than anything I've found...

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

Cheese it! It's the cops!

PS- Klasse really isn't as expensive as it seems; I can do my Miata ~5 times with an ounce of it. Works great on rims as well...

[ August 29, 2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: porterdog ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back