Prepainted bumper covers?

Why not not pick it up from a local Honda dealer? List price is $384. Some will match online prices or at least give 10% off. If they charge more than $350 to paint a brand new bumper off the car, they are ripping you off.
They all tried to rip me off, it seems. I put all of these on spreadsheet and compare. I took my car to local dealer, Tom Kadlec, for quote. example for just the bumper: $384.65 for bumper, 2.7hrs for labor, 4.8hrs for paint. When I called just to buy on the bumper, they quoted me over $430.xx. Insurance cut me the check because I wanted to do the work myself and save some $, sweat equity and all. I can take the bumper off and put it back on less than 20 minutes, not 2.7 hours.
The same goes for the left fender. $259.40 goes to $369.52, another rip off. So I drove an hour to get a used one for $318.99, I feel like another rip-off because it has deep but narrow scratches. Going to try to touch-up and buff.
Bought a headlight assembly from ebay, got bait and switch. Requested for the right listed one but were told; gone, but offered 50% refund.
One more thing. Last year, I ordered timing chain from MTQ, via Amazon. USPS took the chain for the joyride. Went from St. Paul to Rochester and back for 7 days according to the tracking on their site. I didn't get it at least 22 days from order to arrival. So, while waiting, I called Tom Kadlec for quote on the chain. I swear it was like over $200. I paid $110.92 from MTQ.

Last edited:
I ordered one on Amazon for one of my Scion’s. I believe the seller was MBI out of Michigan. It was a release series special color and matches really good.
I think I called and talked to them. They don't have the base hybrid.

Bought a headlight assembly from ebay, got bait and switch. Requested for the right listed one but were told; gone, but offered 50% refund.
One more thing. Last year, I ordered timing chain from MTQ, via Amazon. USPS took the chain for the joyride. Went from St. Paul to Rochester and back for 7 days according to the tracking on their site. I didn't get it at least 22 days from order to arrival. So, while waiting, I called Tom Kadlec for quote on the chain. I swear it was like over $200. I paid $110.92 from MTQ.
Don't mail order time critical auto parts from Amazon or Ebay. Use Rock Auto.

I have "Parkinson"?, haven't learn my lesson; trusting Amazon delivery date. Wanted oem parts and have money in Amazon ballance. I'd been better off buying from online dealer and would've gotten it by today. Another shipment going in circle and delaying...........amazon usps 9400136106059923943602.
Wanted to get this Accord put together for my son to take it back after Christmas; doesn't look like it.
1703253762130.jpg

I have "Parkinson"?, haven't learn my lesson; trusting Amazon delivery date. Wanted oem parts and have money in Amazon ballance. I'd been better off buying from online dealer and would've gotten it by today. Another shipment going in circle and delaying...........amazon usps 9400136106059923943602.
Wanted to get this Accord put together for my son to take it back after Christmas; doesn't look like it.

I was working someplace where I had use it or lose it leave. Also needed a timing belt for a car where the timing belt just broke. Ordered the timing belt from Amazon, which then took them 2 weeks to get. By the time I got the belt, my use it or lose it leave at work was over. Due to things like that and all the counterfeit parts and other Amazon issues, I am no longer ordering auto parts off Amazon unless it is not time sensitive.

They all tried to rip me off, it seems. I put all of these on spreadsheet and compare. I took my car to local dealer, Tom Kadlec, for quote. example for just the bumper: $384.65 for bumper, 2.7hrs for labor, 4.8hrs for paint. When I called just to buy on the bumper, they quoted me over $430.xx. Insurance cut me the check because I wanted to do the work myself and save some $, sweat equity and all. I can take the bumper off and put it back on less than 20 minutes, not 2.7 hours.
The same goes for the left fender. $259.40 goes to $369.52, another rip off. So I drove an hour to get a used one for $318.99, I feel like another rip-off because it has deep but narrow scratches. Going to try to touch-up and buff.
I know you said you can remove and replace the bumper in 20 mins but the extra labor time comes in the form of transferring parts from the old to the new - it can be a hassle as the bumper plastic retainers are tight. I just did a new prepainted Camaro rear bumper this week - came shipped nice and straight (not in a 2' box) and perfect color match. The bumper off in 10 min, then 45 min transferring the tail lights, back up lights, side marker lenses, lower valance panel and the wire harness retainers etc and then 15 -20 min installing for best fit. That is why they quoted the time they did for the replacement. You will probably end up taking 2 hrs to replace your bumper. The pre drilled holes are are gonna have plastic flashing and paint so gotta work them a little etc. It is not a simple plug and play job.....Just my experience having done so many.

You're right. I forgot about the lower, upper trim, and fogs. I understand how they come up with 2.7hrs. I do cost estimate/time study for a living. I forgot, insurance check subtracted 0.9hr and reduced labor rate to $75/hr from $79.

YMMV. Depends on the area. I have the advantage of local warehouses in LA, LV, AZ, and local San Diego. Just 3 days ago, I received a shipment from Amazon 5 HOURS after I ordered it. (y)

An OEM part at 50% off retail.

2 days Prime is the norm.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their advice and discussion. I ended up ordering a “Painted OEM Part” replacement bumper cover. It was substantially more than the folded bumpers but hopefully worth it. We’ll see…

YMMV. Depends on the area. I have the advantage of local warehouses in LA, LV, AZ, and local San Diego. Just 3 days ago, I received a shipment from Amazon 5 HOURS after I ordered it. (y)

An OEM part at 50% off retail.

2 days Prime is the norm.
There is a huge Amazon warehouse a few miles from my house. Still took 2 weeks.

This package 9400136106059923943602 is circulating between Rochester and St Paul for 6 days before it is scheduling for delivery today. USPS efficiency and our tax $ well spent!:(

I considered the painted bumper cover for my trashed up Dodge Grand Caravan (which just got back from the dealer programming yesterday… 8 weeks! A whole other story there…)

But, I’m going to stick a black plastic unpainted bumper cover on it. I plan to use it for cargo hauling for a while since it has a good engine, average transmission, but an all-new suspension and braking system. It doesn’t need to be beautiful. But I can’t drive it looking like a Mad Max support vehicle either.

Got a prepaint once for a 10 year old car. The paint didn't match exactly because the car is slightly faded. It was very cheap and good enough so I don't really care, but for a really nice car I probably would do it.

Even certified aftermarket bumpers are sometimes a poor fit. And that ad is probably for the cheapest non-certified brand. What does it mean, This bumper is folded for the most economical shipping possible; this folding can cause minor imperfections? That would be a no thanks, right off. How do you fold a bumper?

My cost on that oem Toyota cover would be $189, and I could get it painted for another $200. Even if you had to pay $250 and $250 respectively, if it's something nice, I'd get oem. Or find a matching color used one.
I need to meet your auto body person!

Even certified aftermarket bumpers are sometimes a poor fit. And that ad is probably for the cheapest non-certified brand. What does it mean, This bumper is folded for the most economical shipping possible; this folding can cause minor imperfections? That would be a no thanks, right off. How do you fold a bumper?

My cost on that oem Toyota cover would be $189, and I could get it painted for another $200. Even if you had to pay $250 and $250 respectively, if it's something nice, I'd get oem. Or find a matching color used one.
It is not a bumper, it is a bumper cover. For our Civic, it came folded in thirds. It looked fine when it unfolded in the warm sun.

Back