Any way to fix failed clear coat?

It's starting to get ugly. Clear coat failure started off in tiny bubbles around the top of the hatch and on top of the door sills, and a portion of the roof. All were very minor and weren't an eyesore. Not unusual for a southern vehicle (came from NC) that probably had never been garaged before I bought it.

Like a cancer, the hood has it now but this one is really bothering me and is falling off in chunks after the hard rains we just had. The other side of the hood looks like like it in the same exact spot.

This car is in great condition otherwise (07 Pacifica in my signature) that I don't mind spending the money to have the clear redone. I don't want the base coat to fade so I suspect time is of the essence?

Anyone ever redone something like this DIY, or know what it cost to restore clearcoat on a hood? TIA.

IMG_6162.jpg

You can probably strip a lot of it with a pressure washer. The loose stuff anyway. If the paint is good then some more clear? My plastic parts ae doing this.

You can probably strip a lot of it with a pressure washer. The loose stuff anyway. If the paint is good then some more clear? My plastic parts ae doing this.
I worry that if I strip the bad spots and sand into good clear (like the DIY Youtube videos show), the good clear won't stay good for long. Paint is good on this car, it's just the clear that's crap.

Time to spend some $$. Find a decent small shop willing to work with you. Or learn yourself?
Good luck and post your results!
I have had clearcoat redone on classic cars and it has held well. I even resprayed clear over failure spots on work trucks that had no concern for looks. It has worked out… looks aside.

Goes to show you that nothing likes to stick to water colors. Maybe using some fine emery and a 2k clear.

Even stripping it all and painting with cheap oil base paint and a 2k over that would be a top quality paint job over what the factory water paint is like.

Back