NuFinish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else here use NuFinish?

If so, how long have you used it? Does it eat away your clearcoat?

Yes it's quite possible - what year GM was it? I remember them having problems with clearcoated paint in the beginning.

Anyone else?

Yeah I think that's the stuff I've used. It's in the bright orange bottle Anyway , I've used it for probably about 5 years on 2 Nissan's and 1 Toyota. The older Nissan has a few like errosion spots (1/4 inch size, like from a water drop) in the clear coat, but hey it sits in the sun and is 13.5 years old. I use it because I'm lazy and it wipes off without much "elbow grease". Never heard of this. Let me know what you hear. I don't even risk using it again if there is problem.

I think all of the JoeSixpack products that you buy at WallyWorld/Kmart are kind of on the abrasive side and really don't hold up too well. I have heard that the NuFinish lasts longer than most. I used it years ago and it seemed as good as any other product that I used at the time.

I think as long as you are spending your time on the job you should use a glaze like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and a decent wax like Meguiars #26 . This is just an example -lots better stuff out there.

[ August 10, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Used it. Actually Consumer Reports recommended this at one time, a polymor not a wax. I now use Collenite, Maquires (# 26 can be tough to get off though) and Zaino of course. Zaino the easiest and longerst lasting as well.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I didn't want to use Zaino because of the price and how it's mail order only.

There are lots of places you can buy Zaino up here without mail order. A guy in my car club sells it, and there is also a chain of barber shops up here that sell it. I bet if you looked around you could find it without mail order.

After using Zaino, I'll never switch. I love being able to apply it in the sun and it still comes off super easy.

Nufinish has been around a long time! In 1988 my Auto Shop teacher used to make us wash and wax his vechile for extracredit. This was what he had us use. I used it for years and so did my parrents. Most aircraft are waxed with this or a nock-off of this product. It is a polymer and is not harmful to your paint at all! If you have a problem with corrison of delamintation of your paint do not blame Nufinish! Paint delamination is due to adhesion problems between rust proofing coating and paint system or is due to mechanical wear.

quote:

After using Zaino, I'll never switch. I love being able to apply it in the sun and it still comes off super easy.

I found that NuFinish is easy to remove under the sun as well, but I don't really have a need to polish the car under the sun.

I don't wash my car very often - I just want long lasting protection and not appearance. I wash my car at most 3 times a year (Northeast NJ).

I have used NuFinish many times.
Have never had side effects.
It was rated # 1 by "Consumer Guide"
some years ago.
To this day I don't think GM or Ford
have got it down yet how to paint a car,but here again I'm no expert,
that's for sure.
Stay Kool.....

When I get done waxing a car, I want the finish to feel really slippery and I never was that impressed with the after-effects of NuFinish so I haven't used it in 10+ years.

I usually use Eagle with Teflon (pretty good) or one of the Meguiars or Mothers carnauba based paste waxes. 3-4 times each year at least.

Maybe I'll have to try Zaino sometime ..?
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Cosumer Reports is far from the authority on anything. NuFinish is an average over the counter product. It is aimed at those that do not have the ambition to care for thier car. Does that make it bad? No, but there are better products out there. If you want something longer lasting that you can buy at your local store, then buy Liquid Glass.

I'm actually more into detailing than I am into oil. I like my car to look good and enjoy when people notice. However, I realize than many people are easily intimidated by washing and waxing.

I wash my car at least once per week and wax it monthly or so. I like to experiment with a multitude of products, so I'm usually waxing long before it actually needs to be done.

Some of you may think it's a bit too much, but that same thing can be said for people who change oil every 3,000 miles and do UOA's everytime.
grin.gif
Personally, I think the well waxed car with 6,000 mile intervals on a good synthetic will be worth more and last longer than the car waxed once per year, but with 3,000 mile UOA report history.

Used nufinish and my clearcoat wore out in 5 years on my old truck that Ben has now. Will not use it anymore. I use Klasse Sealents on the clearcoats. Easy on, easy off.

The interior gets a wash of Distilled water in a spray bottle. No Armor All or protectants used on interior surfaces!

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 80500 Miles.

How often did you use NuFinish? What vehicle had the clearcoat wear off in 5 years? How was the vehicle stored?

Used nufinish twice a year. The vehicle was my 1985 Toyota 4x4 that I sold this past January because of a low compression issue in cylinder #3. It might have been a bad batch or something. the vehicle is stored outside but was kept clean.
dunno.gif
Actually the clearcoat rapidly oxidized.

[ August 13, 2003, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

My best guess is that it was the clearcoat itself and not from the NuFinish - I COULD be wrong but prior to the early 90s clearcoat formulas were changing and prior to that, it was a crap shot - you either got a good clearcoat or a bad one that starts to peel off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back