NOT SURE WHAT BEST FOR MY CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi not sure what's best for my 94 Buick park-ave standard 3.8 v6 (non-supercharged)with kinda low mileage. My park ave has 104,000 miles on it but the dealer messed up and had to put a new crate motor in at 70,000 so 104,000-70,000 equals 34,000mi. I know the owner before me was a service nut and she had everything done at the dealer like clock work. I have all receipts for everything.
I have put the last 10,000 miles on the Park Ave and have done the last three oil changes at a local jiffy lube (i have a friend that works there)and i have gotten lazy. So I did some research and discovered that they use Penzoil 0il and Fram oil filters that both seem to be getting bad press from the internet gods. OK so i am thinking about going to Mobil one extended performance 10w-30 full synthetic oil with a matching Mobil oil filter or k&n,amzoil or a high quality Filter. I'm not worried about a few dollars here and there i'm more worried about taking care about this motor properly. I plan on running this oil 3000 to 5000 miles between changes(not 15,000 like they recommend). I live in MN where the weather can be brutal like 110 above to 30 below zero. My question is looking at the climate and the miles currently on my car am i doing her any good just jumping to synthetic or should i stay with a good regular oil with regular change. I am also worried about 0il leaks which i have done before i put this oil in a alero with a 170,000 mi on it and it worked perfect on leaks no problems. Last but not least dose anybody know anyone that make a bigger oil filter i heard Mobil makes one i'm researching that as we speak. Thanks for reading my long winded post but i think it's important to know the history of the vehicle and how it's being used in order to recommend what's best for my baby.
Mack

Pennzoil is one of the best (if not the best) dino oil on the market and will serve you well doing 5K oil changes. There are better filters for less money than the orange Fram but it isn't going to hurt your engine. I'd use the Puro Classic available at WM for $3.27 or at least the silver Fram (with the silicone ADBV) for $5.94.
Using Mobil 1 EP for 5k is a waste of money and resources.

I would be running a 0W30 full synthetic in the winter, maybe year round. If its -30F I would be inside where its toasty, not driving.

Pennzoil is very good oil in PYB, PP and PU. Fram filters are poor for the money, you can do better. Good marketing but low quality filters. But they will not damage your vehicle.

Mobil 1 filters are excellent. I buy 2 or 3 at a clip from Amazon, free shipping.

Man Pennzoil makes some of the best oils in the world....the fram orange can, on the otherhand, not so great but good enough.
Keep running the pyb and switch to a purator, bosch premium, wix/napa gold, or a motorcraft (if you can find one that fits) oil filter. Change at 5000 miles without worries.
If you run into some leaks down the road give Quakerstate Defy a shot.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Pennzoil bad? You're about to open a can of worms.

I know, right?!?
lol.gif
funny thing is they guys who bash PYB are usually die hard GTX fans...how ironic
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That 20 year old car deserves nothing but best. I'm sure the body, suspension and various rubber components are all in immaculate shape, and the engine is the only wildcard here.
Sounds like a perfect candidate for the most expensive OTC oil out there...
grin.gif

HHAAHAHHAH
grin.gif

Mack,

If you want to use Mobil 1, but are concerned about leaks, their High Mileage 5w-30 product would be ideal -- $25/5 quarts @ Walmart. Notably, your car takes 4.5 quarts with the standard filter, so the 5 quart jug fits nicely.

The PF47 filter is original equipment, but as you mentioned, there is a larger one available that many run -- PF52 (AcDelco).

FYI K&N oil filters are now made in Korea and lost considerable efficiency in the process compared to the older made in the USA filters. If you check the stamp at the store for made in USA your good but if buying online I would avoid thepartic ular brand.

5,000 miles is a little short for that engine with synthetic, but if you go synthetic go down to a 5w30 or 0w30 to get better cold flow properties since you experience some craze temperatures. From analysis you see on other 3.8 engines you would want to push a synthetic to 7,500 miles for starters.

If you want good filter recommendations add Fram Tough Guard and Wix to your list. Amsoil filters are good but you won't be getting much on your investment if you run it a short interval.

This your stock filter is a PF47 then you want a PF52 cross reference for a larger filter.

Memphis,
How do you know K&N oil filters are made in South Korea? How would you know they've "lost considerable efficiency" and what about their design changed to cause that to happen?

Originally Posted By: Donald
The engine does not have high mileage. Use any dino or synthetic oil you desire. You will not get any leaks.

At this point it's not about mileage as much as it is about age. I have a '92 pickup, so similar age, and honestly even after switching from cheap no-name bulk oil over the years to PYB seems to have caused my current leak. I would definitely recommend he uses Mobil 1 HM if he goes the synthetic route. Heck, I'd probably just switch to a high mileage oil anyway at this point to condition the old seals. Which I had just done that in the first place.

Originally Posted By: 72te27
Memphis,
How do you know K&N oil filters are made in South Korea? How would you know they've "lost considerable efficiency" and what about their design changed to cause that to happen?

Motorking posted it in another thread. Here is the thread where i quoted him, you can probably find it with a search.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3101379/3

I'll just paste it here to save time.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM Filtration. Until recently, K+N oil filters were made in our Albion, IL factory. They have transferred production to a Korean company and are no longer made in USA or made by FRAM or Champion Labs. The filter efficiency has been reduced from the mid 90's% range down to mid 80 percent range in our testing. They now have lower efficiency, lower capacity and a lower cost that they are not passing along to end users. Not trying to sound like sour grapes that we lost this customer but they are not making the filter as good as it used to be.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
Keep running the pyb and switch to a purator, bosch premium, wix/napa gold, or a motorcraft (if you can find one that fits) oil filter. Change at 5000 miles without worries.

There's the answer in two sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back