Not getting the internet speed I pay for

I've never found it to be.

If all you're doing is looking at Yahoo, sure. Anything else more intensive on the internet and yeah, it's sloooooooooow. There's a reason the gov't considers 25mb to be the minimum standard for broadband speeds.

200x slower. It’s…. Manageable if you’re not a heavy user or have multiple users in a house. If I tried making my wife and kids use a 5mbps connection there would be a mutiny in my house.

As WWilson said, without that 80mhz channel option you’re going to be limited.
Web forums, emails, youtube. Thermostat, couple cameras, rumba vacuum, bout it

What other speeds have you had before ?

Those use literally no "speed" when it comes to usage.
Was 700 something k until not long ago.
That was too slow for the cameras and youtube would constantly seize up to load.

Just got 5G internet air, supposed to be fast, dunno. Was $55/month vs the $110 DSL, so I got it.
Haven't been home since beginning of November to try it out though.

I've never found it to be.
Was 700 something k until not long ago.
There's your answer..... If you haven't used faster, you won't notice that 5 Mb/s is "slow". That said, as I mentioned, 5 Mb/s can be fine depending on usage. As I'm typing this at a discussion forum, my internet data usage is ZERO Mb/s. My Ring doorbell, in theory, isn't using anything, my email is sitting idle, and so on.

I just got off the phone with Xfinity and they said that my connection speed would be faster using their modem. A rental fee of $15 per month would be applied to my bill. So after hearing that, I assume all of you guys are using your provider's modem; correct?

Hey wavinwayne, I'm sorry for highjacking your thread man! 😁

I just got off the phone with Xfinity and they said that my connection speed would be faster using their modem. A rental fee of $15 per month would be applied to my bill. So after hearing that, I assume all of you guys are using your provider's modem; correct?

No, I use my own modem and router. I refuse to give Xfinity a penny more than I have too. $15x12=$180, I paid $155 for the modem December 2022 so it’s effectively paid for itself now. My old SB6141 was in use since 2015, saving me about $1,100 over its lifespan.

I did have to upgrade from the Arris SB6141 (DOCSIS 3.0, max speed 343mbps) to an Arris SB8200 (DOCSIS 3.1, gigabit) when I upgraded from 200mbps to 400mbps service. No particular reason for the Arris other than it was hyper reliable for me. I also have a vendetta against anything NETGEAR but I digress.

and they said that my connection speed would be faster using their modem
That is 150% false information from them. You do need to make sure your own modem is correct/compatible and supports the speed of your package though. If it works, it's compatible. Modems evolve over time with different technology so people can certainly end up with an "outdated" modem that tops out at a given speed while you're paying for more.

My AT&T 1/2 gig which in reality is 666 mbps. The nominal output from the WiFi box provided by AT&T is about 275-310 mbps. Which makes me wonder if I should hook my new TV to the ethernet connections that both have.

No, I use my own modem and router. I refuse to give Xfinity a penny more than I have too. $15x12=$180, I paid $155 for the modem December 2022 so it’s effectively paid for itself now. My old SB6141 was in use since 2015, saving me about $1,100 over its lifespan.

I did have to upgrade from the Arris SB6141 (DOCSIS 3.0, max speed 343mbps) to an Arris SB8200 (DOCSIS 3.1, gigabit) when I upgraded from 200mbps to 400mbps service. No particular reason for the Arris other than it was hyper reliable for me. I also have a vendetta against anything NETGEAR but I digress.

So I found out the issue. Long story short, I needed to upgrade from DOCSIS 3.0 to DOCSIS 3.1 in order to be fully optimized for my 1Gbps connection. So tonight I went to the Xfinity store and picked up an Xfinity modem. This is what I got:

1. Motorola MG7750 cable modem with DOCSIS 3.0 = 93.0Mbps download + 21.3Mbps upload.
2. Xfinity Gateway XB8 cable modem with DOCSIS 3.1 = 749.3Mbps download + 22.4Mbps upload.

I'm probably going to purchase my own DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and take the Xfinity modem back to the store.

More than likely I will get another Motorola modem/router combo. It needs to be able to handle a 1Gbps connection.

On a side note, I was perfectly happy with my 93Mbps connection speed until wavinwayne started this thread! 😁

My AT&T 1/2 gig which in reality is 666 mbps.
I can't remember when or why it happened, but ISPs got in trouble (slapped by the FCC, maybe ???) because customers physically wouldn't get the speed they were paying for in any circumstance. TCP/IP has overhead so if, for example, your advertised speed is 100 Mb/s, when you factor in that overhead, you will lose ~10% off the top, so you're already down to 90 Mb/s even if everything else is perfect.

To appease the FCC and keep customer's happier, while they advertise 100 Mb/s, ISPs actually configure (provision) the customer's speed at 120-125 Mb/s (20-25% over - and no skin off their back).

That is 150% false information from them. You do need to make sure your own modem is correct/compatible and supports the speed of your package though. If it works, it's compatible. Modems evolve over time with different technology so people can certainly end up with an "outdated" modem that tops out at a given speed while you're paying for more.

Right now I need to find a cable modem with DOCSIS 3.1. Don't ask me what that means; I have no clue. 😁

Hijack as you wish; I've nailed down the source of my issue. :)

Right now I need to find a cable modem with DOCSIS 3.1. Don't ask me what that means; I have no clue. 😁
I’m using the SB8200 modem and an Asus RT-AX56U router. The uptime for both is usually measured in “months”, I’ve never had to reboot either of them for a problem, updates or power outages is the only time they get rebooted… and I’m bad about updating the router because I’m running non-OEM firmware.

The router is about in the WORST possible spot, it’s at the lowest point of my house (technically below ground) under a stairwell that is totally enclosed… kind of a little Harry Potter under the stairwell type thing… though it is centered in the house. Even 1.5 stories up I can get ~430mbps on my phone on 5ghz. I pay for 400.

Arris has “all in one” modem/router combo units as well if that’s something you’re interested in.

I’m using the SB8200 modem and an Asus RT-AX56U router. The uptime for both is usually measured in “months”, I’ve never had to reboot either of them for a problem, updates or power outages is the only time they get rebooted… and I’m bad about updating the router because I’m running non-OEM firmware.

The router is about in the WORST possible spot, it’s at the lowest point of my house (technically below ground) under a stairwell that is totally enclosed… kind of a little Harry Potter under the stairwell type thing… though it is centered in the house. Even 1.5 stories up I can get ~430mbps on my phone on 5ghz. I pay for 400.

Arris has “all in one” modem/router combo units as well if that’s something you’re interested in.

What do you think about the Motorola MG8702 ?

Back