Not getting the internet speed I pay for

if you buy a modem not supported by your provider you will be out of luck if you have issues.
Even if it's an officially approved modem (on their list), they do everything they can to not help. When you call, literally the first thing out of their mouths is "I see you're using your own modem. Would you like us to send a tech out ? If they determine the issue is your modem, it's a $150 service call." If you're using their modem, that conversation never happens.

BTW in addition to the above post ^^^

If anyone is not getting the speed they pay for, first call your provider and tell them to fix it, give them a couple chances. If they dont, file an informal complaint with the agency that you the taxpayer supports.
It takes seconds to do and I can guarantee within 10 days or less, your internet provider will be knocking down your door to correct the problem. Internet provider upper level mangers freak out over it.
Last thing that internet providers want is complaints filed with the FCC as records of the complaints are filed and Congress pays attention to the complaints and uses them to pass laws and restrictions on providers.

Here is the link, in the bottom sentence you will see another link titled "form"
The problem in the OP was his router/gateway, so no amount of badgering his ISP or throwing them under some regulatory bus would have solved the problem.

The problem in the OP was his router/gateway, so no amount of badgering his ISP or throwing them under some regulatory bus would have solved the problem.
My replies I think were directed to @Soft Cars but regardless, many people do not get the speeds they pay for. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling the ISP and telling them to fix it. You pay for a service and you should get it, you should not have to be the one to get an education to fix it. If they dont fix it, report them and they knock down your door to make you happy as it should be when you pay for a service.
Nothing wrong with that.

Many people here are paying for services they are not getting. My link is to help those who are not. Which BTW we pay their salaries and the reason they are there. Ive been in hundreds of homes, most connection/communication issues were always tied to the ISP.

OP here. Short recap: my router can't push gigabit speed over wifi. I confirmed I can get gig speed over CAT6 ethernet. To be clear, if I had determined that I was actually paying for speed I wasn't getting, I would be in touch with my ISP. They are a local utility and have always been very helpful when I've had issues.

Last edited:
My replies I think were directed to @Soft Cars but regardless, many people do not get the speeds they pay for. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling the ISP and telling them to fix it.
There is if the problem isn't caused by the ISP or their equipment though.

That preliminary determination absolutely needs to be made before deciding on which direction to pursue, whether it's replacing your own equipment or contacting the ISP regarding an identified issue with theirs.
You pay for a service and you should get it, you should not have to be the one to get an education to fix it.
If you decided to go with a purchased piece of equipment and that equipment isn't capable of the speeds your plan is capable of providing, how is that the ISP's fault? Putting LingLong tires on an M5 and then complaining to BMW that your traction and handling are ass, then contacting the NHTSA about the problem because BMW can't fix it, does that follow? Of course not.
If they dont fix it, report them and they knock down your door to make you happy as it should be when you pay for a service.
Nothing wrong with that.
That's only relevant if it's their problem though, again, going back to my point about identifying the source of the issue first. Time is money, spending hours on the phone with an ISP to needlessly try and pin-down a problem that isn't theirs is a waste of both.
Many people here are paying for services they are not getting. My link is to help those who are not. Which BTW we pay their salaries and the reason they are there. Ive been in hundreds of homes, most connection/communication issues were always tied to the ISP.
Yet the OP's issue was caused by his own equipment, and, if I'm reading the posts by Soft Cars correctly, the DOCSIS 3.0 unit he was using was one he purchased, because he didn't want to have a rental fee, so that's once again an issue with his own equipment. Using an ISP-provided DOCSIS 3.1 unit solved his problem.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for immediately wanting to go the regulatory route, doing so when there is no case to be made against the ISP does nothing but increase the frustration of the person pursing the action, waste their time, and that of the regulator, and ultimately that time wasted could have been spent actually solving the issue.

So, as I said, the first step needs to be the determination of where the problem resides. Leapfrogging that and heading right to contacting the ISP, which is often a tedious and frustrating experience in itself, is unwise.

There is if the problem isn't caused by the ISP or their equipment though.

That preliminary determination absolutely needs to be made before deciding on which direction to pursue, whether it's replacing your own equipment or contacting the ISP regarding an identified issue with theirs.

If you decided to go with a purchased piece of equipment and that equipment isn't capable of the speeds your plan is capable of providing, how is that the ISP's fault? Putting LingLong tires on an M5 and then complaining to BMW that your traction and handling are ass, then contacting the NHTSA about the problem because BMW can't fix it, does that follow? Of course not.

That's only relevant if it's their problem though, again, going back to my point about identifying the source of the issue first. Time is money, spending hours on the phone with an ISP to needlessly try and pin-down a problem that isn't theirs is a waste of both.

Yet the OP's issue was caused by his own equipment, and, if I'm reading the posts by Soft Cars correctly, the DOCSIS 3.0 unit he was using was one he purchased, because he didn't want to have a rental fee, so that's once again an issue with his own equipment. Using an ISP-provided DOCSIS 3.1 unit solved his problem.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for immediately wanting to go the regulatory route, doing so when there is no case to be made against the ISP does nothing but increase the frustration of the person pursing the action, waste their time, and that of the regulator, and ultimately that time wasted could have been spent actually solving the issue.

So, as I said, the first step needs to be the determination of where the problem resides. Leapfrogging that and heading right to contacting the ISP, which is often a tedious and frustrating experience in itself, is unwise.
Sorry dont have the time to read through this right now but I see the words "fault" "equipment" ect.
When you sign up for a service, it's expected you will get the service you signed up for at an agreed price. Is that wrong?
If you dont get the service at the agreed price, then call the company and ask for an explanation. Does that sound unreasonable to you?

In my experience many times ISP can not provide an explanation or I see posts in here with questions.
So why not call the ISP and get that explanation or investigation as too why you are not getting the speed. Wasnt that the question posted by @Soft Cars or did I miss some posts someplace and he knew why he wasnt getting the speed?

Does any of this sound unreasonable to you?
The other part is MANY times people do not get an explanation or uniformed ISP contractors showing up at your house unable to correct an issue, sometimes they say its your fault and you know its not. (It happened to me with these subcontractors) People then accept what it is, well, people do not have to accept anything, get the ISP to your house and explain it if you are unhappy. Sadly sometimes a customer of an ISP ends up in an endless loop of tech support.

I give them two chances and then file a complaint, once you file, its AMAZING how quickly high end management get in touch with you, I mean AMAZING, even if you dont pick up, they leave messages and if you dont call back, they will call you.
My issue was wiring and obsolete filters in the community, notably to my house that wasnt removed. Took two visits from the company, still didnt figure it out, blamed me, I knew it wasnt. Filed a compliant, oh my, what do you know? They didnt even have to come into my house, it was a street level problem, took them two days to figure out.
Service people are on a schedule, get in and out of a house, they will tell you whatever they make up if they cant figure out something.

File a complaint takes care of it. If you sign up for a service and do not get what you signed up for, sorry, but dont settle until someone can prove why, since they sold you on that service make them deliver it or tell you how to get it, since they took your money and hooked you up.
Maybe Im missing something here but I dont agree with anyone signing up for a service and not getting what they paid for or they should not have taken your money and explained why first. It's not up to the user to determine why he is not getting the service he pays for. That is the ISP job, they are the experts and they are taking the customers money. If you are unhappy, file a complaint, there is no frustration in doing so.

I feel your responses are coming from a knowledge of technology. The average person is clueless and there is no need for them to trouble shoot when paying a company for a service.

Last edited:
Sorry dont have the time to read through this right now but I see the words "fault" "equipment" ect.
When you sign up for a service, it's expected you will get the service you signed up for at an agreed price. Is that wrong?
If you dont get the service at the agreed price, then call the company and ask for an explanation. Does that sound unreasonable to you?

In my experience many times ISP can not provide an explanation or I see posts in here with questions.
So why not call the ISP and get that explanation or investigation as too why you are not getting the speed. Wasnt that the question posted by @Soft Cars or did I miss some posts someplace and he knew why he wasnt getting the speed?

The other part is MANY times people do not get an explanation or uniformed ISP contractors showing up at your house unable to correct an issue, sometimes they say its your fault and you know its not. (It happened to me with these subcontractors) People then accept what it is, well, people do not have to accept anything, get the ISP to your house and explain it if you are unhappy. Sadly sometimes a customer of an ISP ends up in an endless loop of tech support.

I give them two chances and then file a complaint, once you file, its AMAZING how quickly high end management get in touch with you, I mean AMAZING, even if you dont pick up, they leave messages and if you dont call back, they will call you.
My issue was wiring and obsolete filters in the community, notably to my house that wasnt removed. Took two visits from the company, still didnt figure it out, blamed me, I knew it wasnt. Filed a compliant, oh my, what do you know? They didnt even have to come into my house, it was a street level problem, took them two days to figure out.
Service people are on a schedule, get in and out of a house, they will tell you whatever they make up if they cant figure out something.

File a complaint takes care of it. If you sign up for a service and do not get what you signed up for, sorry, but dont settle until someone can prove why, since they sold you on that service make them deliver it or tell you how to get it, since they took your money and hooked you up.
Maybe Im missing something here but I dont agree with anyone signing up for a service and not getting what they paid for or they should not have taken your money and explained why first. It's not up to the user to determine why he is not getting the service he pays for. That is the ISP job, they are the experts and they are taking the customers money. If you are unhappy, file a complaint, there is no frustration in doing so.

I feel your responses are coming from a knowledge of technology. The average person is clueless and there is no need for them to trouble shoot when paying a company for a service.
You completely missed the points I was making.

Since you said you don't have the time to read through my reply, but seem to still have had the time to write me a novel that doesn't address the points made, I suggest going back and reading my post before this discussion goes any further.

It is incumbent on all parties to understand the points being made in order for the dialogue to be productive. Since you've admitted to having not actually read my statements and since I feel you are talking at me, rather than talking to me, I'll stop here until there is reason to engage further.

I got a new router today, and am now getting 600-700mbps download speed over wifi, and 1gbps over ethernet. I am satisfied.
Awesome!! I have to ask, how much bandwidth (MHz) is allocated to your radio? At those speeds it's either 80MHz or 160MHz.

Awesome!! I have to ask, how much bandwidth (MHz) is allocated to your radio? At those speeds it's either 80MHz or 160MHz.
Not sure. Here's a screenshot from the router settings. I haven't yet found a way to manually set it. I'm sure I could if I really needed to, but all is well for now.
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 8.31.41 PM.jpg

If you’re using rented equipment then yes you have a point. But neither wavinwayne nor Soft Cars is doing that, so it’s on them to figure it out. And 99% of the time anybody using their own equipment knows enough about tech to do basic troubleshooting or ask the right questions.

Back