New modem, slower upload speed?

Hello all. Have a bit of a weird issue… the other day I replaced my old SB6141 modem with an SB8200 modem. The old one was working fine with my speed tier (200/10 from WOW), but the modem was only 8x4 and EOL’d by WOW, so time to upgrade! The new modem provisioned just fine on the network and WOW said everything looks good; download speeds and ping/jitter are actually slightly improved, but the upload speeds are a bit slower. For example, with the old modem I would get anywhere from 10.0 to 10.5 upload, both hardwired and on close range 5ghz Wi-Fi. The same applies now with my windows laptop, but all of my Apple devices do this weird thing where the speed test starts around 12 mbps upload, then dips to about 5mbps and slowly works it way up to about 9-10 mbps by the end of the test. Why is this? The router is the same, Tp link C2300. Like I said, this only shows when speed testing on my Apple devices oddly. Modem software shows 4 locked upstream channels with good numbers (I don’t think WOW supports more than 4 upstream channels here).

probably on their end. That modem uses the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset and it has no known issues.

probably on their end. That modem uses the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset and it has no known issues.
I don’t know… if it was on their end, why are my non-Apple devices showing the same upload speeds as before? All of my Wi-Fi passes through a single router which is unchanged. Maybe the devices are pushing too much upload during the test so it gets momentarily throttled back? I’ve also heard that ISPs have a “learning” period when new service/a new modem is installed and the speeds will settle out 🤔

what are you using to test speeds and is it connecting to the same server?

I think you are reading too much into this. all that quack are not ducks.

what are you using to test speeds and is it connecting to the same server?

I think you are reading too much into this. all that quack are not ducks.
Ha. This is true. I’m using Speedtest.net and their app connecting to the same server every time, and WOW’s modified Speedtest link.

Back