Is a new cable modem helpful?

Found the cable to my office and good computer was wired up as a crossover, 36145278. LOL.

Still did gigabit before, and gigabit now. 52-ish MB/sec to the NAS and its 7200 RPM HDs.

This could explain why the direct connection to the modem was no good, though. My router must have been auto-compensating.

But, now, the kids are online with school, so further experiments must wait.

Yes, basically all switch chipsets in the last decade+ have had auto crossover detection. It won't have any impact on speed.

Check the CPU loading on the router while it is being used. The 'sirq' percentage reported by 'top' shows how hard it is working to NAT packets and send them out the wifi driver. I don't know if ddwrt has the top command though.

basically all switch chipsets in the last decade+ have had auto crossover detection. It won't have any impact on speed.
They can handle crossed pairs, reversed polarity of one or more pairs-- basically anything except a split pair, which will completely disrupt the data connection even on a cable only a few feet long.

Not saying anyone should leave faulty wiring in place because of this though. Also note that split pairs can test OK on a basic cable tester that tests DC continuity.

They can handle crossed pairs, reversed polarity of one or more pairs-- basically anything except a split pair, which will completely disrupt the data connection even on a cable only a few feet long.

Not saying anyone should leave faulty wiring in place because of this though. Also note that split pairs can test OK on a basic cable tester that tests DC continuity.

Agreed.

Worth noting, while auto crossover and cabling detection is broadly prevalent on inexpensive unmanaged network gear, tolerance for configurations beyond just Auto-MDIX may vary wildly.

Older Cisco gear didn't support Auto-MDIX for quite a stint after it had appeared in the consumer realm, not sure about other manufacturers in the Enterprise space. At that time a lot of the old Cisco boys were hard coding speed and duplex on interfaces still, so resistance to automatic functions has long been an issue.

Check the CPU loading on the router while it is being used. The 'sirq' percentage reported by 'top' shows how hard it is working to NAT packets and send them out the wifi driver. I don't know if ddwrt has the top command though.
I don't SSH/Telnet into my router... not that nerdy. Grabbed this grab while doing a speed test, don't see anything too dramatic.

Did both wired and wireless speed tests.

Screenshot from 2021-01-22 10:44:26.png

That's wild, mine came with CAT5e. My wholesalers don't even stock CAT5.
When I first hooked up the Modem I used my old CAT 5e cable and was getting 240 MBPS. Then decided to use the new CAT 5 cable and my speed dropped to 100 MBPS and a red light appeared on the Modem so I went back to using the CAT5e cable.

When I first hooked up the Modem I used my old CAT 5e cable and was getting 240 MBPS. Then decided to use the new CAT 5 cable and my speed dropped to 100 MBPS and a red light appeared on the Modem so I went back to using the CAT5e cable.

That's awesome :ROFLMAO:

My ISP, when they used to send out those little Comtrend ADSL modems would send CAT5 cables with only 4 conductors in them, so you sure as heck weren't doing Gig-E.

I carved off a separate VLAN for that building and immediately discovered it wouldn't do 100Mbit out there and packet loss was pretty high. Best I could manage was high 40's

That cable sounds like it's trashed. Would be interesting to see what a megger (high voltage insulation breakdown) test would show. Though that would probably completely finish it off. Is there at least a pull string in the conduit?

That cable sounds like it's trashed. Would be interesting to see what a megger (high voltage insulation breakdown) test would show. Though that would probably completely finish it off. Is there at least a pull string in the conduit?

Think so. If we redevelop the outbuilding I'll be running fibre to it. I've been having new home runs made in the main building with CAT6 as spaces are being worked on. It's a slow process as the building is active, so it limits how much can be done at a given time. Security system overhaul is also in the works.

That's awesome :ROFLMAO:

My ISP, when they used to send out those little Comtrend ADSL modems would send CAT5 cables with only 4 conductors in them, so you sure as heck weren't doing Gig-E.
I forgot to mention these cables are only 5 ft long and go directly from computer to modem.

Are they 4 wires or 8? You can see by looking through the clear plastic plugs.

Think so. If we redevelop the outbuilding I'll be running fibre to it.

Would recommend using fibre designed for outdoor burial/duct use. Running the orange jacketed duplex fibre through that seems like it'd be asking for problems, not the least of which is that it's not designed to handle the stress of being pulled through a few hundred feet of conduit.

Would recommend using fibre designed for outdoor burial/duct use. Running the orange jacketed duplex fibre through that seems like it'd be asking for problems, not the least of which is that it's not designed to handle the stress of being pulled through a few hundred feet of conduit.
Yes, it'll be the same style of outdoor fibre I have running into the building from Rogers, no worries there.

If there's 3.1 on your line it might benefit to have a 3.1 modem, because the more gigabit subscribers they have they need to move toward 3.1 and cut down the spectrum allocated to "legacy" 3.0 signals. This is pure speculation though.
From what I've seen, at least on Comcast they've kept 32 legacy SC-QAM channels and run a 96mhz OFDM block.

Well gang the new modem is in and installed. No measurable speed improvement. :(

We'll see if, as time goes on, immesurable improvements (aka butt dyno) are noted.

Did get into the new router's internal config, all 16 channels are locked, so... it's them.

At least I'm a little future-proof. (y)

Have you tried the CLI version of speedtest, I find that speedtest.net can give all over the place results because they have so many ads on the page that it slows down the actual speedtest.

Well gang the new modem is in and installed. No measurable speed improvement. :(
Is it a company supplied DOCSIS 3.0 home gateway (combo modem / router / wifi) or something else?

Can you see your connection statistics, especially SNRs and uncorrectable errors?

Back