Is a new cable modem helpful?

Well gang the new modem is in and installed. No measurable speed improvement. :(

Did get into the new router's internal config, all 16 channels are locked, so... it's them.
Did you buy a new router as well or is it a combo unit ?

Never mind - I see that the MB7420 is a modem only. You're still using that TP-Link you referred to at the start ?

Last edited:
House has ethernet to most of the important rooms/ computers.
This could be the source of your slow speeds too. Either the modem or the router should have came with a short CAT5/5E/6 cable. Use that directly from the modem into the desktop you mentioned (the one running Ubuntu). If your speeds aren't 100+ Mbps then, call Spectrum. In my experience, if (1) house has slow speeds, they aren't pro-active. On one hand, they can say that the customer isn't concerned, so why should they be ? When multiple homes are, their "fix" will resolve issues for all of those at once.

You need to have them determine where the issue is. Can you ask your neighbors, presuming they are very close, how their service is ?

I had just skimmed the thread earlier and kind of grazed over the router, yeah that old low end router running dd-wrt especially if you have any type of QoS or anything enabled is going to be slow as a snail. I have this feeling testing without it will show that you're capable of getting your full provisioned speed..

Yes the direct speedtest was the same as through the router.

This is my own modem, just a modem, no routing etc onboard.

39dB SNR on all channels, not sure about the error counts.

I'll remind the gang that I get gigabit speeds (well, 52MB/sec) between my good computer and my NAS which is inches from the modem and router in my basement "network closet". Despite the 18-year old Cat 5.

Last edited:
Have you talked to someone from Spectrum and verified that the modem is getting the correct bootfile and not misconfigured for some reason or another, perhaps something is messed up since you were previously using a modem not supported on the tier you're subscribed to.

Yeah I should probably call them up.

Uploads are 2-3 Mbps, on both modems, through router, and straight-shot.

It sounds like maybe they have you provisioned for the wrong tier, I've dealt with some funky stuff on Comcast, I upgraded to the 600mbps tier last month and had to have them manually fix something after they initially rebooted my modem, because for some reason I was only getting 6mpbs upstream on tests when it should've been testing around 24mbps, I have no idea what they did as my old plan was 400/20 and the new plan was 600/20, but for some reason I was only getting 600/5 which with the over provisioning Comcast does comes out around 720/6 on speedtests, which makes absolutely no sense as Comcast doesn't offer a tier like that .

Your SNR is fine. I agree with blufeb95, I'll bet they have your modem provisioned wrong. I'll bet it's provisioned for their 30/4 plan.

What are your power levels like? I had an issue where my SNR was fine but my downstream power levels were pushing +13 to +15 and my upstream was +55 to +60, making it unusable. Tech saw that and went “wow your signal is HOT!” Turns out squirrels chewed on the cable at the pole, which was the cause of most of it but he still had to reconfigure something else on their end to bring my power levels back in line with what they’re supposed to be.

Last edited:
Screenshot from 2021-01-23 16:46:22.png

These guys don't even know what my plan is. (Cries in 1st world country internet)

Screenshot from 2021-01-24 09:54:27.png

So after a nice call to India it runs out my account is set for 20mbps!

Local tv ads tout the 100 so, you know, that's what people might expect, but of course some neighborhoods are on a different upgrade path than others.

They did offer I could talk to sales, like I'm going to pay more for bad behavior.

So after a nice call to India it runs out my account is set for 20mbps!

Local tv ads tout the 100 so, you know, that's what people might expect, but of course some neighborhoods are on a different upgrade path than others.

They did offer I could talk to sales, like I'm going to pay more for bad behavior.
So you thought you were paying for 100 mbps but were paying for 20 mbps instead ? Or you cant get 100 mbps in your area ?

My bill literally reads "internet service" without speed quantifiers.

The ads on tv say up to 100mbps, but are regional ads. I did sorta think that would/ should be my speed. It wasn't an issue until I had extra time and started looking into it.

My online account reads "unable to display info."

I suppose I could get business class, but I've been through two price increases in the past 18 months and don't want to encourage these guys. Especially when someone five miles away could be getting 5x the speed for the same price.

If you like to toy around with things and dont mind laying out $50.
Order a TMobile Home Internet kit. Simple as anything and no cost for anything except $50 a month with autopay, actual payment.
Open the box, plug it in and your done, it either works or it doesnt. They wont ship if they dont think it will work.

You go to their site, enter your address, and you will know in seconds if it is available to you.
If it is, you can sign up right then and there, they will ship it two day air at NO cost. Dont even have to cancel Spectrum if you dont mind spending $50 and testing it out for the month, you can always return it.
Someday, I think landline internet will be the same as landline telephones.

I have a ton of posts on this in the electronics section of BITOG.

Full disclosure - I have it fully installed and running in my home, canceled Spectrum, it was a happy day! I have at any one time up to 18 devices showing connected out of a total of roughly 28.
We were shipped the new Nokia LTE/5G modem/router. We do get a 5g signal were we live.
This seems to be so popular, production of the units cant seem to keep up globally. I am starting to see some comments that it may take a while to ship, not verified. We got ours in like 3 days (and I ordered on the weekend) We have had it almost a month now.

Like I said its new unit, new techhnology and there are bugs, good lord I worked my way through quite a few of them but I now know the system inside out, love this stuff. Like anything new, firmware updates, cell tower updates will make this the future. My wife and I always at the forefront of new stuff and we LOVE not being held hostage ANY LONGER by the landline data providers, Spectrum and ATT in our community. We now have a cell tower based option and we ran with it!
My post in the electronics section has all the speeds, Im not real close to a tower but posted tests over 100 Mbps, however at times I also get 30 Mbps if the unit loses one of the two cell signals (remember I said bugs) Im always able to get it back. Things will improve and I am sure there are many who have no issue.

One thing for sure and MOST important to us is we NEVER ever lost internet even if the speed dropped down which at these speeds is almost unnoticeable. Wife works from home, international company, she would know in a second if the connection ever dropped during the day. So I can say it has been 100% reliable as far as connection.

This is why I am hanging in there, I will NEVER go back to Spectrum. They thought they had me by the b---- I DESPISE them for raising my rates roughly 70% over the last 4 years, its not rocket science people, its just a data connection. (full 5 pages of posts in the electronics section of BITOG. You will see my name as the thread starter.
One thing not in there yet is my latest update, my service was not affected by the thunderstorm that just passed through as I typed this long post!

Last edited:
Back