NetGear vs. TP-Link Cable Modem / WiFi Combo Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a clear channel on 2.4 which is kind of unusual. The WRT120 is only capable of 65 Mbps radio speed because it only has one antenna inside (1 x 1 MIMO). This is called a N150 class router. A 2.4 unit with two antennas (2x2 MIMO, N300 class) will give connections up to 130 Mbps radio speed (assuming the client device also has 2 antennas). The actual throughput is less than radio speed because the radio can't transmit 100% of the time. With only a 30 Mb subscription you don't need a high end router but something like a TL-WR841, at about $25, would likely outperform your WRT120 in both coverage and speed.

As for whether to buy or rent your modem that's usually an easy economic decision (to buy) unless you have a lot of lightning storms since the cable company will replace a rented modem if it gets burned out.

Last edited:
Loneranger I say go for it if your dead set on a combo unit. The Netgear you posted it $90 something on Amazon and $4 for the 3yr warrantee. Anything goes wrong your all set for at least one replacement. Also, I keep seeing mention of bad WiFi coverage whenever combo units are mentioned. I never had that problem with either of my basic combo units in my 3 story home or coverage in my basement. Your unit sounds allot smaller so there shouldn't be any coverage worries.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
In my search for an all-in-one combo unit that has DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem AND dual band (2.4ghz/5ghz) Wifi that is on the Compatibility List for Wide Open West, I have narrowed it down to two units:

NetGear C3700 (N600) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Dual Band WiFi Router (2.4Ghz/5Ghz)
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C3700.aspx

vs.

TP-Link CR700 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Dual Band WiFi Router (2.4Gz/5Ghz)
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5514_Archer-CR700.html

Any networking gurus know if one of these brands is more reliable than the other? For reference the premises is 2250 sq ft 1.5 story typical subdivision house, 5/8" drywall 2x4" wall studs etc. Open floor design so it's sort of WiFi friendly. Unit will be located upstairs because that's where the coax (cable) outlet for data is.

If you really want a combo unit, without question go with the TP Link/
TP Link produces great products and this unit is far superior to the Netgear you ref.

I too prefer separates and I use separate TP link modem and router but if I had to choose an all in one, TP link would be it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Got a Motorola Arris Surfboard SBG6580 that has worked fine for me . It got real good reviews when I was searching for it.

Same for me as well. I used a Motorola Surfboard for 5-years. Other than having to reboot it every so often, it was fine. Only reason I stopped using it is because I switched internet providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back