which modem /router combo to use

I forgot to mention that I have had exceptional reliability using my own equipment and I've had one issue probably 20+ yrs ago where the ac adapter for the modem went out which was a surfboard 5100 modem so that shows how long it's been but the rest of the issues I've had has always been with Comcast where the internet is down on their end.

You'll really have to watch your bandwidth speeds, when I upgraded my service from 300mb to 1gb I had to upgrade my modem and also my router ended up being the bottleneck again as most routers can't really passthrough gigabit speeds

This is why you always need to do a speed test with and without router in the middle. I was chasing down the same issue after I started working from home, and my webex keep dropping my voice connection. IT at work helped me narrow down to the router not able to keep up with the upload speed above 5mbps, so I have to either upgrade my router or add some throttle mechanism in between.

Since my wifi range wasn't too good in my 10 year old router, I decided to upgrade to a cheap $30 "last year model" router instead.

The ISP should have a list of modem/router to choose from, try the good one so you don't need to reset it everyday. Spectrum gave me a set for $5 a month but it keep disconnecting itself. Then I bought a mid-upper tier linksys combo and it works perfect.

PS: Avoid any router with Intel logo on it. Intel Puma 6/7 has hardware defect that cause serious jitter (unstable response time). Class action suit ongoing.

Let’s not confuse the word modem and router. Modems are free as they have to give you a device to access the internet since you are buying the service.
Routers are $5 a month because it’s not needed to Access the internet.
This a gov regulation making providers give a modem with their service but they do not have to give you a router and in spectrums case charges for routers on a monthly basis or you buy your own and not have to pay an extra $5 a month or more for the rest of your life.
I see the OP has already made a decision with charter. It’s not going to be as good as the TP Link but we all got to do what works for us!
Where did you ever get the idea that your ISP must provide you with a modem for free? They don't. Many ISP's do charge a rental fee (depending on the market and company). I know for a fact that AT&T and COX both charge modem rental fees (at least with COX you can purchase your own modem and forgo the monthly fee). The new FCC regulation that went into effect last summer only prohibited the practice of ISP's charging equipment rental fees for modems that the customers/users actually purchased themselves (yes, some ISP's actually did this).
As for the OP's concern, I personally believe-in using a separate modem and router. You can pick and choose better performing hardware this way, plus, you can upgrade one or both of them as newer/better hardware comes on the market.

This guy thinks that a lot of laws exist which don't. A phone company (landline or cellular) doesn't have to give you a phone. The cable company doesn't have to give you a TV, or a modem. Their responsibility ends at providing a usable signal to the demarcation box on the outside of the house.

Where did you ever get the idea that your ISP must provide you with a modem for free? They don't. Many ISP's do charge a rental fee (depending on the market and company). I know for a fact that AT&T and COX both charge modem rental fees (at least with COX you can purchase your own modem and forgo the monthly fee). The new FCC regulation that went into effect last summer only prohibited the practice of ISP's charging equipment rental fees for modems that the customers/users actually purchased themselves (yes, some ISP's actually did this).
As for the OP's concern, I personally believe-in using a separate modem and router. You can pick and choose better performing hardware this way, plus, you can upgrade one or both of them as newer/better hardware comes on the market.
Good post. Living where I live and spectrum not charging for modems but charging for routers I read the story wrong.

I can see mk378 has his usual constructive input and twisted to his liking.

This is why you always need to do a speed test with and without router in the middle. I was chasing down the same issue after I started working from home, and my webex keep dropping my voice connection. IT at work helped me narrow down to the router not able to keep up with the upload speed above 5mbps, so I have to either upgrade my router or add some throttle mechanism in between.

Since my wifi range wasn't too good in my 10 year old router, I decided to upgrade to a cheap $30 "last year model" router instead.
For now I'm currently using a server in the basement that's running pfsense as my dhcp server and I have another wireless ac router upstairs that I'm only using as an access point so even if the wireless does get choked down you'd never really notice it. I don't plan on keeping it like this as all the traffic goes through the server so if that goes down then there's no internet and I have to fix it but it kept me from having to buy more new equipment at this time.

Back