WiFi Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had DSL from the same provider (Windstream) since 2007. Since 2010, I've used whatever modem/router combo unit they provided (several Sagems and now an Actiontec T3200). All have had intermittent problems with WiFi interference. I'm in a semi-rural area with maybe 25 homes total within one-quarter mile of me and all but 6 of them are more than 500 feet away. At any given moment I can see at least 8 and as many as 15 wireless networks around me...all of them in the 2.4ghz band and almost all using channels 1, 6 or 11. I currently have 8 networks overlapping ch. 3 that I am now using. When the interference is bad, my wireless desktop located in the same room as the modem can't even see my own wireless network, let alone connect to it. I'm convinced that interference from other networks is the only problem.

Though my knowledge is limited, I'm going to make a guess that the modems/routers in use by these other networks probably are not more powerful than they are supposed to be and by themselves are not causing the interference. But...could a WiFi repeater be powerful enough to cause it? If not a repeater, what else might cause such interference and why might it be intermittent and not continuous?

Any info appreciated.

You have 8 networks or 8 devices?

Too much interference, so join them. Use whichever channel, 1,6, or 11 that has the least networks. Start with 11 and if it's still bad, try 6, and then 1. Right now you're using channel 3, and so you're getting signals from both channel 1 and 6 networks. To everyone else, you're part of the cause of problems. Each 2.4GHz channel uses +/- 2 channels above and below it.

With wireless it's all about the noise floor and the 2.4GHz ISM band is quite congested. To be sure , or more certain, you'll need a WiFi survey tool map out other APs and their power level. Here are some:
https://www.networkworld.com/article/2925081/wi-fi/8-free-wi-fi-stumbling-and-surveying-tools.html

The other possibility is your AP is starting to go out. Do you have 5GHz support on your router? The effective range of 5GHz is shorter than 2.4GHz due to the inability to penetrate anything other than air but there are way more channels and you can practically eliminate outside interference from nearby APs. Trying 5GHz in a controlled environment may let you know if it's an interference issue on 2.4.

Good luck!

+2 on using a utility like netstumbler to discover your signal strengths vs the neighbors'.

Is there a chance a hacker is trying to get in? They can send a signal that forces you to disconnect (quickly) then reconnect, with the password being the first thing your device sends in the authentication process.

8 to 15 wireless networks can also be some virtual interfaces, eg a guest network running on the same router and RF channel.

The wifi part of ISP-provided modems is often not the best. You could get a reasonable one of your own and set it as an access point (with its DHCP server turned off)

Cochannel interference is much better than side-channel interference. You're better off finding and using the least congested channel out of 1, 6, & 11. Or, better yet, using a 5Ghz channel, much less congestion and many more non-overlapping channels to pick from.

When the interference happens, take a portable AM radio and put the dial between channels. Then start walking to where the noise is the loudest. Mine is coming from my smart meter..

I live in the city, about 11 houses within 200', and an entire low-rise apartment complex about 150' away (it's not too bad though, I see 14 2.4ghz and 7 5ghz networks at the moment). I agree that you should swap your channel to 1, 6 or 11 (or get a 5ghz access point), but my guess is that it isn't interference, but more likely the wireless router starting to go out. I'd consider getting a separate access point to wire into the modem/router combo and test again.

Switch to a 802.11ac router running in the 5Ghz band. If you have a large house or walls that block signal, such as cinder block or plaster, you should set up multiple access within your house. I'd recommend using the Ubiquiti series, which are enterprise class but reasonably priced (<$150 per AP)

Originally Posted by wwillson
Or, better yet, using a 5Ghz channel, much less congestion and many more non-overlapping channels to pick from.

I never use the 5GHz channel on my router, it's barely good to maybe 20-25 feet

I'm researching "extension" WAPs'... I have 7 acres, and wish I could use my Wi-Fi for more area than just within 50 feet of the router

"Seeing" an AP and being able to associate (connect) and reliability exchange data are quite different. What matters is the SNR and link budget between the client and station.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
I've had DSL from the same provider (Windstream) since 2007. Since 2010, I've used whatever modem/router combo unit they provided (several Sagems and now an Actiontec T3200). All have had intermittent problems with WiFi interference. I'm in a semi-rural area with maybe 25 homes total within one-quarter mile of me and all but 6 of them are more than 500 feet away. At any given moment I can see at least 8 and as many as 15 wireless networks around me...all of them in the 2.4ghz band and almost all using channels 1, 6 or 11. I currently have 8 networks overlapping ch. 3 that I am now using. When the interference is bad, my wireless desktop located in the same room as the modem can't even see my own wireless network, let alone connect to it. I'm convinced that interference from other networks is the only problem.

Though my knowledge is limited, I'm going to make a guess that the modems/routers in use by these other networks probably are not more powerful than they are supposed to be and by themselves are not causing the interference. But...could a WiFi repeater be powerful enough to cause it? If not a repeater, what else might cause such interference and why might it be intermittent and not continuous?

Any info appreciated.

Something isnt right with this post or the way you are describing it, well, its just not possible to have channel interference from others in your area.
I would suggest there is an issue in your home preventing your wifi from working correctly as it the case 99% of the time, even more so since your describe issues with other routers in the past.

1. The AM radio test mentioned by someone here is a good first start, you could simply have a loose wire lightly arcing in one of your electrical outlets of light switches in your home creating interference, this would make something intermittent. Click on the light switch, interference starts, turn it off, interference stops. Plus any other malfunctioning electronic device.

2. Make sure your router is up off the floor and away from mirrors, LED TV monitors ect.

3. Put noise filtering surge supressor on your modem/router

4. Best advice put TWO these on EVERY CONNECTION to your router, modem, every single wire including cable wire. EVERYTHING and anything leading to the modem and router, ALL cables.
Ferrite Core Filters - Click

Cheap/effective and cost nothing to try, not only that, for others with no issues, they will still clean up the power and connections which can and most likely result in a bump up in speed.

5. For me personally on all of the above, I buy my own great/cost effective equipment. TP Link Dos Cable Modem and TP Link AC 1700 Router.

Rock solid, NEVER needs to be restarted/rebooted, Always get at and above the 100 MBPS speed we pay for.

Last edited:
1. The most recent WiFi event happened in the middle of the night when I walked into a dark living room and discovered that my Echo Dot had no internet connection. No lights or other devices were in use.

2. & 3. The modem sits on my desk in another room and is connected to an APC UPS.

4. Will address later if need be.

5. Windstream pushes folks to use a WS modem/router combo for a variety of reasons. They are very helpful if you use their device and very unhelpful if you don't. Except for this WiFi annoyance, I have few complaints about the service or the help I've received.

Without knowing why it's "just not possible" to have channel interference from other networks, I can only say that Windstream Tier II support said that was the reason and they could see it in my modem logs. They moved my Echo Dot from 2.4 ghz to 5ghz and so far that is working fine. Will wait a bit and see what develops.

Hope you know I was trying to help, dont mis read my post, (in case you did)
I was commenting on your first post, a history of issues, not just one device which you just mentioned. Yes, moving it to the 5 might help but its a bandaid because of an issue, though, still may work to your satisfaction.

At the same time, you do have an interference issue in the house or the internet providers equipment is just garbage.
I work with both commercial and residential routers almost on a daily basis, also has always been a hobby of mine too but I do not claim to know everything but one thing I do know is the internet providers tech support is wrong saying you have an interference problem from neighbors in a rural area with only a few homes nearby.
Just because someone calls themselves "tech support" doesnt mean they know what they are doing or can properly trouble shoot, maybe more so if they are just giving out cheap garbage routers.
In addition their job is not to make things perfect but jsut good enough so you dont have to call back, they are under pressure to move onto the next caller.

The ferrite filters will help even if a borderline quality router, installed on all connections to the router and all devices connected to the router such as echo dot, Roku players ect.

Its possible your laptop maybe hacked too, there are so many possible things, but one of them is not your neighbors (unless they are on your wifi network :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
but one thing I do know is the internet providers tech support is wrong saying you have an interference problem from neighbors in a rural area with only a few homes nearby.

This. The only real possibility for interference from one of these folk is if they are leveraging a directional antenna that is bathing your house in their signal, which is highly unlikely and even then, you could change the channel to eliminate that.

If you want to retain the Windstream-provided device and potentially resolve the WiFi issue, you could pick up a simple access point and disable the integrated WiFi on the ISP unit. Something like an HP OfficeConnect OC20, which I've had good experience with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back