Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have gotten the Arctics, but they were not available in the size I needed. The Arctics are great winter tires at a bargain price.

hakka 8's are factory studded so not sure how the R2's could be better than unstudded hakka 8's since they aren't made?

Originally Posted By: carman594
What about the General Altimax Arctic? Those are supposed to be phenomenal tires, I wonder how they stack up to the R2 and Xi3.

I would like to see them in a comprehensive comparative winter test, but that is not likely to happen. The tread design dates back to around 2004, and is 3 generations behind the WS80, R2, Xi3 etc. Unstudded, they will be significantly behind the R2, etc on ice performance. In snow traction, they will probably be less behind the latest generation. If I had a strict limited budget, and cared only about snow traction, I think they would be my first choice for a quality tire.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
What about the General Altimax Arctic? Those are supposed to be phenomenal tires, I wonder how they stack up to the R2 and Xi3.

I would like to see them in a comprehensive comparative winter test, but that is not likely to happen. The tread design dates back to around 2004, and is 3 generations behind the WS80, R2, Xi3 etc. Unstudded, they will be significantly behind the R2, etc on ice performance. In snow traction, they will probably be less behind the latest generation. If I had a strict limited budget, and cared only about snow traction, I think they would be my first choice for a quality tire.
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Altimax Arctic, Xi3, ExtremeWinterContact, and the WS70. It seems like you can't go wrong with any of them but I'm the type that tries the get the absoute best I can. I wish the R2s weren't so pricey, as I'd likely pick those!

Solid winter tire, usually at a great price... yes, it's an older design, and the newest compounds are probably slightly better on ice, but a local dealer sells them for 25 % off a couple of times each fall. That puts them at about 3/5 the price of a similar NOKIAN... very popular where I live...

I ran a set for two winters amd had no complaints whatsoever, ok on ice, but awesome on packed snow and even better in deep snow. Squirmy on bare roads though... deep tread, full depth sipes and soft sidewalls, NOT a performance tire by any stretch.

Originally Posted By: Rand
hakka 8's are factory studded so not sure how the R2's could be better than unstudded hakka 8's since they aren't made?

Both Hakka 7 and 8 is available UNSTUDDED at the local Nokian tire dealer in limited sizes... so it seems they forget to stud some tires at the factory...!

I'm not sure why you would choose a non-studded Hakka 7 or 8 over the R2 though... seems counter-intuitive, either get mechanical grip with studs, or buy the premium studless tire...

https://shop.kaltire.com/tiresresults/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: geeman789
Is a tread design patentable...

Yes, a tread design is patentable (design patent) and it last 14 years.

But be aware that many tread patterns look alike and it has been argued successfully that small differences can be enough to render a particular tread design as non-infringing.

I've had several Nokian people tell me highly entertaining stories of being at SEMA and watching other tire company reps try to surreptitiously take pictures of upcoming tread designs. Nokian mostly laughs off the fact that their "patented Hakka sipe" appeared on numerous other snow tires within a year or two.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: Rand

Both Hakka 7 and 8 is available UNSTUDDED at the local Nokian tire dealer in limited sizes... so it seems they forget to stud some tires at the factory...!

I'm not sure why you would choose a non-studded Hakka 7 or 8 over the R2 though... seems counter-intuitive, either get mechanical grip with studs, or buy the premium studless tire...

https://shop.kaltire.com/tiresresults/

I think Kal Tire is about the worst place to buy tires...overpriced by a mile.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Only choice for Nokians around here. On the plus side, we get free winter/summer wheel swaps for the lifetime of the tires, which seems to cost about $40 a time at other tire places.

I guess I could swap them myself, but it's too much hassle compared to dropping the car off in the morning and collecting it in the evening.

With the $75 rebate that Kal is offering on Nokians, the Nokian prices don't seem too bad. In the US, the R2 in size 235/60/18 goes for about $200 a piece on-line.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

With the $75 rebate that Kal is offering on Nokians, the Nokian prices don't seem too bad. In the US, the R2 in size 235/60/18 goes for about $200 a piece on-line.

Which is about $ 225 CDN...+\-

Costco has BLIZZAK DMV1 at $ 199 after rebate, and Latitude X-ICE at $ 206 on sale... R2's are $ 228 after rebate... my current tires, Toyo GSI-5's , are $ 215 after rebate in that size...

Not really too big a $ premium for the Nokian's ...

Discount Tire Direct is offering some outstanding deals on Hakka's in limited sizes. Only the Hakka R2 & R2 SUV. I just ordered a set of 195/65x15 R2's for $364 shipped. They have the 235/60/18 Hakka R2 SUV for $151 ea. shipped
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/nokian/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=17307&tmn=Hakkapeliitta+R2+SUV&typ=Truck%2FSUV

Last edited:
Dang, that's a good price. I didn't even know DTD sold Nokian tires. They don't show up on discounttire.com

Discount Tire and Nokian must have finalized a business arrangement over the last year. When I did a dealer search in Oct 2013, none of the Discount Tire stores near me were listed on Nokian's online dealer locater, but this year they are.

Interestingly, the name "Discount Tire" is not shown, only the addresses. But all other dealers are listed by name (e.g. ABC Tire) and address. Is Nokian worried about offending their independent dealers?

Last edited:
Dang, that's a good price. I didn't even know DTD sold Nokian tires. They don't show up on discounttire.com

Discount Tire and Nokian must have finalized a business arrangement over the last year. When I did a dealer search in Oct 2013, none of the Discount Tire stores near me were listed on Nokian's online dealer locater, but this year they are.

I purchased Nokian Hakka R's from DT in October 2011. They may have had a more informal arrangement before now.

Originally Posted By: stuffinder
I didn't either! Mine are coming from the Arizona warehouse. I don't think Nokian has made major inroads that far West.

I ordered exact same ones as you this morning at 8am EST time, exact same size as you, 364$ shipped!! Mine are coming from the Ohio warehouse..but I believe a few people ordered..last night they were showing up for 97$ each..stock increased today and prices dropped to 91$..i jumped on the opportunity!

Originally Posted By: emg

Only choice for Nokians around here. On the plus side, we get free winter/summer wheel swaps for the lifetime of the tires, which seems to cost about $40 a time at other tire places.

I guess I could swap them myself, but it's too much hassle compared to dropping the car off in the morning and collecting it in the evening.

Free swaps for the lifetime seems decent..but quoting online..everywhere else I have checked have been cheaper..I notice its all the extras they tack on to boost the price up.. regardless if you get free swaps its likely worthwhile..best prices ive seen were 150$ here for 195 65 15 in canada (from what ive checked).

I did a search 2 months ago, and they were not listed. Now they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back