Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: stuffinder
I didn't either! Mine are coming from the Arizona warehouse. I don't think Nokian has made major inroads that far West.

I ordered exact same ones as you this morning at 8am EST time, exact same size as you, 364$ shipped!! Mine are coming from the Ohio warehouse..but I believe a few people ordered..last night they were showing up for 97$ each..stock increased today and prices dropped to 91$..i jumped on the opportunity!

Looks like I waited too long, they're back up to $125/tire for 195/65/15.
frown.gif

So since it seems like the R2s are usually too expensive, what's the consensus on the #2 option? Michelin Xi3, Continental Extreme Winter Contact, or General Altimax Arctic?

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
They seem to have re-badged the older R, have you seen these in any tyre shop?

http://fostertire.blogspot.fi/2014/10/hercules-new-hakkapeliittaerr-avalanche.html

The APA in Canada has this to say about the Hercules Avalanche R G2:

"…...Hercules is an independent tire brand that constracts out its research and development. Tires are sourced from manufacturers located in China, the United States and Europe, and compete mainly at the lower end of the market. The RG2 is a new tire manufactured in Russia under license from a top tier European tire manufacturer……….."

http://www.apa.ca/WinterTires2013-PassengerCars.asp

Nokian has 2 factories in Russia.

They might have used some cheaper compounds to make it though, so I'd wait for more test results before buying it.

Originally Posted By: carman594
So since it seems like the R2s are usually too expensive, what's the consensus on the #2 option? Michelin Xi3, Continental Extreme Winter Contact, or General Altimax Arctic?

FWIW, I live in a rural area where roads can have deep snow for a long time. I have a set of Altimax Arctics on my son's car, a 99 Acura TL, and they are great for these conditions. They are just ok on wet or slushy roads, and on ice, not good.

My daughter and I have X-ice3s on our Audi A4s. In deep snow, they are not as good as the Generals, but the Audis are AWD, so they can still push through a lot. They are great in wet and slush. I drove to work today in freezing rain and couldn't believe how good they were. And mine are starting their 3rd season at between 7-8/32 of tread depth.

The Continentals can't be bad. I have their DWS tires on my car for summer, and have been in a couple of early season snowstorms with them. They were really good for an all-season tire. I did manage to get stuck, but only because a car coming toward me lost it and I had to stop. When I went to get out of the car, I couldn't open the doors. The snow was halfway up to the windows. Gotta love Quattro
grin.gif

Would you buy a budget Chinese winter tire, from a Chinese company, manufactured in China? I was reading a review about the Sailun Ice Blazer WS L2 studless winter, and the article had some interesting comments. In this years testing from Test World/NAF, the Sailun came in 7th overall, 0.1 points behind the Blizzak WS70, and ahead of Vredestein and Dunlop, and tied with Pirelli. The Nokian R2 was tied for 1st place, with the Goodyear UGI2.

https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/dekktester/vinterdekktest-2014/test-av-piggfrie-dekk-2014/

Some excerpts from the article:

…………... it’s true that Sailun is not a household name like ‘Tier 1’ national brands Michelin, Bridgestone or Goodyear. Nor, admits Sailun Canada, are they what is regarded as a ‘Tier 2’ company, comprised of brands like BF Goodrich, Hankook, Toyo or Yokohama.

…………..Sailun resides in what is called the ‘Value’ category – Tier 3 – along with brands like Hercules and GT Radial. But Sailun wants you to know that it punches above its weight.

By that it means Sailun tires may well cost much less than Tier 1 and Tier 2 level tires, but they deliver the quality and performance of at least brands from Tier 2.

“Actually, we’d like to say we match the National brands,” says Sailun Canada Vice President Marketing Brian Mielko, “But nobody would believe us. So let’s just start with Tier 2.”……………………….

…………….Sailun Canada executives are well aware that “Made in China” is not yet a recommendation for quality and that this is a reason for concern by some consumers, especially when it comes to a safety-related purchase like new tires for the family vehicle.

But according to Mr. Mielko, “China can build what you want. If you want a high quality, precision device like an iPad, China can build it; if you want a spacecraft that can orbit the planet, China can build that, too. And if you want something of lower quality, well, it depends on what you want.”

What he’d like consumers to understand about Sailun tires is that, “Quality is not related to the country of origin, but is directly related to the factory of origin.”

Mr. Mielko makes the point, therefore, that Chinese factories are more than capable of building excellent tires, and indeed the Tier 1 brands have large manufacturing facilities in China (although these are not Chinese companies, it should be said). Sailun’s heading for an annual global output of 30 million tires, which are sold in 120 countries and from Sailun’s point of view, the quality of its tires should be judged on their merit…………….

http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/winter-tire-review-sailun-ice-blazer-wsl2/

Last edited:
Had my hakka r2's installed today and am so far very happy. No vibrations/balancing issues. Cant wait til i see snow and ice!!

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
……….Discount Tire and Nokian must have finalized a business arrangement over the last year. When I did a dealer search in Oct 2013, none of the Discount Tire stores near me were listed on Nokian's online dealer locater, but this year they are.

Interestingly, the name "Discount Tire" is not shown, only the addresses. But all other dealers are listed by name (e.g. ABC Tire) and address. Is Nokian worried about offending their independent dealers?

Judging from what I have read here and at nasioc.com, Discount Tire is selling Nokians for around the same price as Michelin Xi3, Blizzak WS80, etc. Looks like DT aims to get rid of the "Nokian Tax" that has been in effect for years in the USA.

It will be interesting to see how the Discount Tire Direct/Nokian
relationship continues. I've been running Nokians for over 20 years. The best prices I've been able to find have been from a local shop that just opened. The young man that started it has been in the business for years and went out on his own. He said he'd match any price on Nokians and did. This was before the "Season" and we had to wait until early Nov for 225/55x16 R2's to arrive "off the boat"! They're installed & phenomenal in snow!
I'm just in the process of getting a 945 Volvo wagon as an interim vehicle & 1st car for my soon to be driving age daughter.
Someone on the AUDI forum mentioned DTD having great R2 & R2 SUV prices. I checked and bought 195/65x15 for $91 ea. shipped! The tires came from their AZ warehouse. DTD had all their Nokians at extremely low prices. I think they're new to the Nokian world & were getting nervous about large inventories after snow tire season had started. Most of their sizes are gone now. It will be interesting to see what happens next year. If they maintain the pricing they had the past month they will do a land office business!

I've been running Nokians for over 20 years. The best prices I've been able to find have been from a local shop that just opened. The young man that started it has been in the business for years and went out on his own. He said he'd match any price on Nokians and did. This was before the "Season" and we had to wait until early Nov for 225/55x16 R2's to arrive "off the boat"! They're installed & phenomenal in snow!

Do you mind mentioning the price (NOT the actual shop) you paid for these, as that is the EXACT size I would need if buying R2s (so I have a 'base line' price for next year's winter)??

"………..In January 2015, the world's northernmost winter tyre manufacturer is introducing a winter product that achieves the A class in the EU tyre label. The new Nordic non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tyre is especially designed for BMW's i3 electric cars. The new tyre model’s size is 155/70R19 84Q ………………"

http://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-...er-tyre-with-a/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I've been running Nokians for over 20 years. The best prices I've been able to find have been from a local shop that just opened. The young man that started it has been in the business for years and went out on his own. He said he'd match any price on Nokians and did. This was before the "Season" and we had to wait until early Nov for 225/55x16 R2's to arrive "off the boat"! They're installed & phenomenal in snow!

Do you mind mentioning the price (NOT the actual shop) you paid for these, as that is the EXACT size I would need if buying R2s (so I have a 'base line' price for next year's winter)??

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearch...=NOKIAN%20TIRES

$176 each (plus shipping of course).

though, my local mechanic beats tiresbyweb.com prices .... for 235/45r17 WR G3, they charge $218, and my mechanic got me them for $175 each (plus tax and install)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

though, my local mechanic beats tiresbyweb.com prices .... for 235/45r17 WR G3, they charge $218, and my mechanic got me them for $175 each (plus tax and install)

THANKS
thumbsup2.gif

But I was asking for the price at his local shop, mainly to see IF they could beat the web/mail order houses' prices, like his (and yours) actually did.
wink.gif

Sorry for the delay! I just looked up the receipt for the 225/65x16 Hakka R2's. I paid $151 ea plus Tax & Install. Since then my tire guy has gotten direct distribution from Nokian warehouse so they may be even cheaper! Discount tire Direct was blowing out Nokian's at amazing prices for awhile but have few remaining sizes.

THANKS
thumbsup2.gif

But I was asking for the price at his local shop, mainly to see IF they could beat the web/mail order houses' prices, like his (and yours) actually did.
wink.gif

but, when you ask your local shop to try to match it.... the shop would probably just tell you drive to upstate NY instead....

and... upstate NY is usually defined as places starting about an hour north of Albany, it's quite a hike from Buck's Co, PA (unless you're from NYC, then upstate NY is anything above Manhattan)

and... upstate NY is usually defined as places starting about an hour north of Albany

Yes, agreed, and what I always thought as well (although I consider Albany far north enough to be labelled "upstate").

But when I lived in Union Co. (N.J. suburbs of Manhattan), most referred to even Westchester Co. as "upstate NY" (as you have stated). LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back