noisier engine with 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnoh
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Many new users of Mobil 1 claim their engines sound noisier (all weights). Google it, quite common.

Good advice. Learned that the way to search the forum is to google "searchstring site:bobistheoilguy.com". The search on the forum here is almost useless.

There is no doubt that the engine is louder with M1. I'll switch to a different 0w20 next time. I want to stick with 0w20 to see if there was any mpg difference between 0w20 and 5w30. Toyota claims that there is.

Toyota 0W20 claim

How has your oil consumption been since changing over?

Many new users of Mobil 1 claim their engines sound noisier (all weights). Google it, quite common.

Good advice. Learned that the way to search the forum is to google "searchstring site:bobistheoilguy.com". The search on the forum here is almost useless.

There is no doubt that the engine is louder with M1. I'll switch to a different 0w20 next time. I want to stick with 0w20 to see if there was any mpg difference between 0w20 and 5w30. Toyota claims that there is.

Toyota 0W20 claim

How has your oil consumption been since changing over?

Its never consumed oil - dipstick stays right on the full mark.

I choose oils than Mobil because of this reason, discussed in topic.

Too many people have said that too many engines "sound noisier" on too many kinds of M1. And also say that it got quieter on other oils. Not every single person every single time.. but thats why i like other oils.

Oil brand and engine noise is hard to prove or disprove, you don't know which brand is best for your particular engine(s) until you try it.

My E430 currently has M1 (mixed 5:2 of 0W20 and 0W40) and so quiet that standing about 5-6 ft from the front bumper could barely hear engine running.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Toyota says 0w20 is fine for my 2006 1.8l corolla, so I put in M1 0w20 notice now that the engine is a little noisier.

What Toyota really recommends for your car is the Toyota brand 0W-20 so that's the oil you should try.
The oil is unique comparied to most other 20wt oils due to it's ultra high 216 VI and high AW additive levels.

That's a good point. Tired of the noise, I swapped out the M1 early (after 2.5k) and put in the Toyota 0W20 yesterday. ITs easy to tell the difference - now it sounds as smooth as it used to.

Before I used Mobil 5W20 EP in our CRV and the valve train was a little loud. After switching to Amsoil the noise almost disappearied.

I use M1 0-20 in both Duratechs and and my engines are very quite, clean, smooth, easy starting in all temps, no oil consumption in 10K OCIs, has a 10K warranty, Has a superior base stock, and much easier to find than other 0-20 oils. As for Texas, M1 0-20 will stand up to any temps you will experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I use M1 0-20 in both Duratechs and and my engines are very quite, clean, smooth, easy starting in all temps, no oil consumption in 10K OCIs, has a 10K warranty, Has a superior base stock, and much easier to find than other 0-20 oils. As for Texas, M1 0-20 will stand up to any temps you will experience.

Wouldnt expect you to have anything bad to say about M1. Im thinking you own stock in M1. Even if no stock ownership, you always have good things to say about the M1. Its just that a good number of us find it noisier, is all.

Again, not every single person, as evidenced by a few including yourself (thats a glowing review of M1! Nice! Consistently...,) but a lot of us.

Actually, there seem to be a lot that say that synthetics make their vehicles noiser and not just Mobil. Most here, also, will tell you that that noise is irrelevant.

I was firmly against Mobil 1 after I used it in my 2007 Chrysler minivan. And this was the first time I tried Mobil 1, ever. It sounded like a diesel idling. I drained it out in a few hundred miles and swore I'd never waste the money on it again.

But then I tried the M1 0W-20 in our Acura and it runs very quiet in the Acura. I also tried it in our Honda and it runs pretty quiet in the Honda.

As tig1 said, it's about the most readily-available 0W-20 out there. That said, Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 is starting to show up at Walmart stores, and in the 5-quart jug even. And at the standard PP price of $24.97/jug even. It appears on paper to be at least as good as the M1 product, with a higher viscosity index and slightly lower viscosity as temperatures cool to freezing or below.

So I tried it in the Acura this weekend and it seems to be even quieter than the M1. I can't hardly hear that V-6 running. I will use it in the Honda next, though I've got to wait 4,000 more miles on that car.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Wouldnt expect you to have anything bad to say about M1. Im thinking you own stock in M1. Even if no stock ownership, you always have good things to say about the M1. Its just that a good number of us find it noisier, is all.

Again, not every single person, as evidenced by a few including yourself (thats a glowing review of M1! Nice! Consistently...,) but a lot of us.

And your point is??? To put your mind to rest, no stock owership. Actually you are not the first to mention that. Since I have used M1 oils since 1978 and have never had a lubricated part failure with M1 products, including engines(some very high mileage) trannys, wheel bearings, difs, PS pumps, lawn mowers, etc. Can you give me a reason to switch oils??? Also notice I never critize other products as I have no experience with them, since the 70s. Now if you are looking for that, then QS of the 60s was a sludge maker for me and others I knew, but I'm sure that has changed.

Since I have used M1 oils since 1978 and have never had a lubricated part failure with M1 products, including engines(some very high mileage) trannys, wheel bearings, difs, PS pumps, lawn mowers, etc.

Same here. Actually longer than 1978.

Never had any lubricated part fail and I've used OIL. All brands. All types. It does not MATTER if you use brand x or y just CHANGE THE OIL when needed and you are good to go.

No need for the brand pushing or type as all it does do is label the member when they do post. (IMO)

I love not having to HAVE to buy x brand when I go shopping since it does not matter. Not a slave to their marketing and price whims.
20.gif

Bill

Bill,
That's your opinion and I agree with most of what you said. I also agree that there is no need to push against another brand as so many here do. I for one will not do that as most all oils today are very good products. Also I agree that being a "slave" to an oil that is hard to find doesn't make since to me. That's another resson I prefer M1 oils. Very easy to find. In my case I have found an oil that works well for me, and I only have to change it every 10K and still have the benefits of long lasting components. What more could I want??

Last edited:
All,

I do like the way M1 is at Walmart. Thats my primary motivator. I dont do well with mail-ordering oil, even if that oil is AMSOIL or Redline (and both of those are great oils too. Been tempted to get Redline more than once. Still may. There is no way to know.) I ALWAYS end up choosing whats at a store.. because then I control WHEN i get WHAT i want, and HOW. (Mail/keep it around introduces other factors.) There used to be soo much M1 15W-50 in 2010 at Walmart that i considered using it then, 15W-50 grade (heard it had 1. a lot of antiwear additives, 2. SuperSyn, 3. Their nest oil along with M1 0W-40.) When it disappeared from the shelves and all the holes came back, i decided to make my selection based on the oil aisle as a whole.

I like the way Mobil basically "manufactures" certain grades of Supertech. No denying or knocking M1 is a good oil, I just appreciate the acknowledgement that there are other choices.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Never had any lubricated part fail and I've used OIL.

funny, and true

All,

I do like the way M1 is at Walmart. Thats my primary motivator. I dont do well with mail-ordering oil, even if that oil is AMSOIL or Redline (and both of those are great oils too. Been tempted to get Redline more than once. Still may. There is no way to know.) I ALWAYS end up choosing whats at a store.. because then I control WHEN i get WHAT i want, and HOW. (Mail/keep it around introduces other factors.) There used to be soo much M1 15W-50 in 2010 at Walmart that i considered using it then, 15W-50 grade (heard it had 1. a lot of antiwear additives, 2. SuperSyn, 3. Their nest oil along with M1 0W-40.) When it disappeared from the shelves and all the holes came back, i decided to make my selection based on the oil aisle as a whole.

I like the way Mobil basically "manufactures" certain grades of Supertech. No denying or knocking M1 is a good oil, I just appreciate the acknowledgement that there are other choices.

I was no aware the M1 makes Supertech. I do now understand the M1 makes Toyota 0-20. Is that correct?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
"M1" doesn't make anything.
wink.gif
Mobil 1 is a label. ExxonMobil produces Toyota's 0W-20; that is correct.

Well, you know what I mean. M1, XM all comes under the same banner. Is Toyota 0-20 formulated at the same labs as M1 0-20?

All,

I was no aware the M1 makes Supertech. I do now understand the M1 makes Toyota 0-20. Is that correct?

Thought "XOM" "made" the Supertech in the angular bottles. Not pure M1 but a basestock?

They may very well be making Toyota 0W-20, ive never had a Toyota or bought oil from dealership.

I want to stick with 0w20 to see if there was any mpg difference between 0w20 and 5w30. Toyota claims that there is.

Toyota 0W20 claim

Quote:
More Miles Per Gallon

Toyota 0W-20 synthetic oil can deliver a surprising boost in fuel efficiency, it’s estimated anywhere from 0.4 to 0.6 miles per gallon when compared to conventional or non-synthetic oils.

LOL, they didn't specify what car and compared to what oil.

0.4-0.6 MPG compared to 5W20 would be a lot in Tundra, but nothing if you tested in Prius compared to 5W30.

IMHO, the 1ZZ-FE engine is very noisy and likes heavier oils.
0W20 is OK for city driving, but I would not use it at high speed hwy driving in summer in this car.

Does you car have the revised dipstick with increased oil capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back