Engine Noise And Oil Brand

This is the right recipe for whisper quiet motors

IMG_2564.jpg

I have no interest in finding or figuring. I solved my wife's engine noise five minutes after I changed oil brands and grades. That's how long it took me to install the oil cap - remove oil change materials from under the hood - close the hood - open the vehicle drivers door and start the engine.

Now 1200 miles later, still quiet since. No more sewing machines or typewriters under the hood.

Last edited:
I have no interest in finding or figuring. I solved my wife's engine noise five minutes after I changed oil brands and grades. That's how long it took me to install the oil cap - remove oil change materials from under the hood - close the hood - open the vehicle drivers door and start the engine.

Now 1200 miles later, still quiet since. No more sewing machines or typewriters under the hood.

You make a post which obviously makes no sense other than to be dumb… Or whatever was your motivation there…

That’s why I said … Figute out what I put in the other one….

The only noise differences I have really experienced was the startup noise in my old '93 Corolla when I was using regular Fram orange cans over Toyota for the cost and availability. Sideways mounted on top, front side of motor. I think the ADBV valve was not working great. One day I had a new Toyota filter and that start up noise was gone, stuck with the Toyota filters after that. That was with variety of sale oils (QS, M1 and other major brands) and also Jiffy Lube house oil (when I was working there).

I've mostly used M1 and PP for many years, never really noticed anything that was significant. Sometimes I would think maybe, but moved on and drove them everyday.

Most recent is my sons '10 Forte 2.0L. It was always very noisy at start up with what I would say is piston slap. Did it summer and worse winter until motor warmed up then decently quiet. I did a BG EPR flush and later 2 rounds of EC30 (now on 3rd round) and everyone in the house says it is quieter. Maybe we just freed up rings some letting them actually work correct? Maybe it was the swap to 5W-20 and now 5W-30 from 0W-20? I just recall one colder morning my wife calling me outside one winter (maybe 2 years ago) and asking what was wrong with his motor it was that loud. I said it does that when cold then gets better.

And I also suffer from CantRememberStuff as I get older as well as See or Hear.

We should have a forum section where we can post audio clips of our oil changes. We could go back to previous change and compare audio files.

In my race car with solid roller cam Amsoil 20w50 racing oil was the quietest
Followed by Pennzoil 25w50 and Brad Penn 20w50.
I'm due for a rebuild now and will try HPL 10w50 next.

Back