No warm up, straight to highway speeds in the AM, any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Palut, the oil intercooler I refer to is not an add-on, Honda put it on some of their 2.2 engines, perhaps only those that see higher workloads like the first generation Odyssey with F22B6 and the fourth generation wagon with F22A6. If you see no coolant hoses just above your oil filter mount then there is no intercooler there.

I don't have any hoses around the oil filter mount, so it looks like I don't have an oil intercooler.

quote:

Thank you for your clarifications. What year and trim is your Accord?

'95 4 door 4 cylinder EX w/leather.

Hah, I've done long interstate commutes everyday for the last 4 years now (between 50 and 75 miles one way!)and I'd have to say it's the absolute best driving for an oil. Am I still completely paranoid and do short intervals? Of course! But as mentioned repeatedly, as long as you gently accelerate up to speed, you should be fine. You're going to have nice warm oil that is going to evaporate off all the blow-by gases and chemicals that get into your oil.

As for 5W20, I did about 40k miles on my Honda CR-V with mostly 5W20 M1 which I then gave to my wife. Three years later, it's still perfect.

Cold oil is bad for cylinder walls and pistons since much less of it will be thrown off the rotating connecting rod journals. Low relative velocity (piston up-n-down) requires far less lubrication than higher relative velocity. You're well advised to keep your rpm's relatively LOW until the oil's heated a bit and spewing around inside the engine. Hi rpm's with cold oil equals EXTREME wear on the cylinder walls, pistons, and rings.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

How far do you drive? If you only drive a short distance in my car it's actually worse compared to allowing your car to warm up through town first. All cars are different though. If I get on the highway right away it takes twice as long to warm up, and worse gas mileage in turn. But if I drive in stop-n-go for 5-10 before I hit the highway i'll get my normal mileage.Leaving the heater off seemed to help some.

Just accelerate gently if possible, eg low rpms at each shift and all will be fine. I lived 1/4 mile from exit and work was 500 ft from on ramp. If the motor was truely cold I would accelerate gently on highway. It warms very quickly. I never warmed the motor unless there was snow/frost to scrape for the 1 min or so. My last car was a Honda Civic and never a motor related issue in the 9yrs/225k miles I owned it and sold for the sole reason that I was plain sick of looking at it. Nothing special with the motor oil just bulk dino fill (mostly Valvoline) and no name brand oil filters every 5k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back