Direct injection engine struggles to warm up(Mazda 2.5NA) am I overreacting?

So interesting coincidence with this working a Mazda parts counter. Someone came to the counter before close yesterday with a Murray thermostat box stating that O'Reilly sent him here to get the thermostat gasket because they didn't show one in their system. I got the VIN because I am one of those annoying dealer parts people that always wants a VIN. Sure enough this 2020 CS-5 uses the water control valve and doesn't have a thermostat. So then I got to explain to the person that O'Reilly's was wrong and his vehicle does not use a thermostat. He said he had a CEL on and the code "was for a thermostat so that is what he needs." I suggested he go to our service department and make an appointment to have it properly diagnosed as just pulling a code is step 1 of a process. He walked away shaking his head mumbling that I didn't know what I was talking about.

You can lead a horse to water...

So interesting coincidence with this working a Mazda parts counter. Someone came to the counter before close yesterday with a Murray thermostat box stating that O'Reilly sent him here to get the thermostat gasket because they didn't show one in their system. I got the VIN because I am one of those annoying dealer parts people that always wants a VIN. Sure enough this 2020 CS-5 uses the water control valve and doesn't have a thermostat. So then I got to explain to the person that O'Reilly's was wrong and his vehicle does not use a thermostat. He said he had a CEL on and the code "was for a thermostat so that is what he needs." I suggested he go to our service department and make an appointment to have it properly diagnosed as just pulling a code is step 1 of a process. He walked away shaking his head mumbling that I didn't know what I was talking about.

It's obvious that as a representative of the manufacturer, you just want him to pay more money! /s /s.

Some people know just enough to shoot themselves in the foot unfortunately

Update, while it hasn’t set the Check engine light off I managed to get a code to set.
IMG_6710.jpeg

Hello,

I have a 2020 Mazda 3 has an issue getting up to operating temp. Both of the coolant sensors agree, the car is running cold. Unless I drive aggressively, in 10-40F temps, it struggles to get above 140-160F when I have the heat on.

This is a fairly well known issue, and there’s a TSB for it. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10248393-0001.pdf

The issue is that to fix it under Powertrain warranty. they want the check engine light to be set. Apparently either mine is mild enough not to trigger the light, or I’m not driving in the correct way for it to go off.

To replace the parts myself would be about $500, and that’s with DIY labor, as this car uses a fancy electronic coolant valve with an integrated thermostat. There’s also the issue that some people are apparently having to have this repair done multiple times.

Would you do this on your own dime? I’m just picturing carbon building up on my intake valves and it’s bothering me I admit.

I’ve written corporate and done all of the advocacy I can for a warranty fix and I’m going nowhere.
Thank you! My gf's 19 Mazda has been having this exact issue.

Another update, got it to set a hard fault, check engine light on. I believe the secret to getting it to trigger is higher RPM/engine loads. Sport mode on warmup seemed to get it to trigger.

I normally don’t drive like that, which is why I think I didn’t get it for so long.

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6713.jpeg

Another update, got it to set a hard fault, check engine light on. I believe the secret to getting it to trigger is higher RPM/engine loads. Sport mode on warmup seemed to get it to trigger.

I normally don’t drive like that, which is why I think I didn’t get it for so long.

View attachment 211566

View attachment 211567
That’s good news. The revised part has allowed my 2.5L NA to function as intended since replacement, and I’m sure it will be the same for you.

Why is this an update / TSB for 18 and up only? I assume the thermostat / coolant flow valve is different…can anyone confirm? I’d love for my (2017.5) to be fixed but never had faith that just replacing a part would fix it since it’s done it since new.

Why is this an update / TSB for 18 and up only? I assume the thermostat / coolant flow valve is different…can anyone confirm? I’d love for my (2017.5) to be fixed but never had faith that just replacing a part would fix it since it’s done it since new.
Mazda switched to an electronic coolant valve with an integrated mechanical thermostat in 2018-19. I believe all the vehicles before that have a mechanical thermostat only.

The main part in question PYFD-15-16Z(A) is what you can check, I believe it’s not listed as applicable for any vehicle older than 2018.

Mazda switched to an electronic coolant valve with an integrated mechanical thermostat in 2018-19. I believe all the vehicles before that have a mechanical thermostat only.

The main part in question PYFD-15-16Z(A) is what you can check, I believe it’s not listed as applicable for any vehicle older than 2018.
Their parts books online leave alot to be desired so I haven’t ever figured it out definitively. Like @bdcardinal said, a customer had purchased a traditional thermostat for an engine that didn’t use one…maybe mine still does though.

Their parts books online leave alot to be desired so I haven’t ever figured it out definitively. Like @bdcardinal said, a customer had purchased a traditional thermostat for an engine that didn’t use one…maybe mine still does though.
The turbo engines use a traditional thermostat. The aftermarket parts catalogs for these aren't great, I've looked, so we get a fair amount of people coming to us with wrong parts they have bought from other parts houses. Even on the dealer end, without the VIN the catalog can be cumbersome as with Mazda we can't filter by options.

There’s a YouTube video of a guy changing a Mazda coolant valve on a CX5(same engine) on YouTube. I’d bet you’d probably be able to tell if you had the coolant valve or not with a visual inspection after watching.

Alternatively I guess walk into the nearest Mazda dealer with your vin to the parts desk and ask if the vehicle has a coolant valve or a thermostat.

As far as if the part is actually defective, I’ve heard a thermal camera is great for seeing if a thermostat is opening too early but a rental was $50 from Home Depot I decided against it.

And honestly even with a brand new coolant valve the engine doesn’t warm up as quick as my last car, but it’s a lot better now.

The turbo engines use a traditional thermostat. The aftermarket parts catalogs for these aren't great, I've looked, so we get a fair amount of people coming to us with wrong parts they have bought from other parts houses. Even on the dealer end, without the VIN the catalog can be cumbersome as with Mazda we can't filter by options.
I went vin specific in an online catalog out of curiosity and it looks like mine does have a traditional thermostat. Like someone else said too, I’ll watch a video to see the difference in the coolant control valve vs what I have.

I probably will debate on changing the thermostat when I hit 100k (soon) with a coolant drain and fill, or if and when the water pump decides to leak.

I went vin specific in an online catalog out of curiosity and it looks like mine does have a traditional thermostat. Like someone else said too, I’ll watch a video to see the difference in the coolant control valve vs what I have.

I probably will debate on changing the thermostat when I hit 100k (soon) with a coolant drain and fill, or if and when the water pump decides to leak.
Another reason we use VINs: there is no 2017.5 in the Mazda GEPC. Only 2017 and 2018 with different listing for transmission type.

Another reason we use VINs: there is no 2017.5 in the Mazda GEPC. Only 2017 and 2018 with different listing for transmission type.
I think it was some hype because Mazda was slow to get the 2018s out (I got mine brand new in 2018 even though it was a 2017…there were no 18s to be seen in March or 2018 when I bought this). I read the only difference in the 1/2 model year was a safety option or 2 were included standard at my trim level (touring, I think they made blind spot and or automatic braking standard for it).

Try to start and go depending on weather condition . Little idling as possible . Also drive at a slower speed for a bit on the town road ( 30 > 40 ) until reaching state road ( 55 M.P.H ) .

Last edited:
Back