No Tundra love

Merry Christmas everyone! I’ve ordered a new 2021 Tundra Limited - will take delivery mid January. My 06 Silverado is ~3000 short of 300000 miles and it’s just time to replace it. My question to this group is why all the poor mouthing from truck reviewers? They really don’t like this truck -doesn’t matter where you look. I understand it’s not so great on fuel mileage but the 5.7 is a normally aspirated engine and checks most boxes for what I need/want in a truck. What do you guys think?

11 Crew Max LTD 4x4 5.7 here. 90k.
It's been a great truck with only routine maintenance and brake pads.
A tried and true truck.

Merry Christmas everyone! I’ve ordered a new 2021 Tundra Limited - will take delivery mid January. My 06 Silverado is ~3000 short of 300000 miles and it’s just time to replace it. My question to this group is why all the poor mouthing from truck reviewers? They really don’t like this truck -doesn’t matter where you look. I understand it’s not so great on fuel mileage but the 5.7 is a normally aspirated engine and checks most boxes for what I need/want in a truck. What do you guys think?
I don’t know your purchase price but at MSRP these are just ridiculous. It’s an old platform (2007?) some good and some bad to that but auto-reviews fixate on that because for their purposes prices have to be static and if you go apples to apples at sticker (which no one pays for these new) you’re going to come up against nicer/newer trucks that have better features and capabilities for the same $$. Not a 1/2ton guy but these seem like capable and reliable trucks they do get awful fuel economy and have an atrocious safety rating. I would not pay what Toyota asks for them but if you get a good deal from the dealer they’re not bad at all.

Last edited:
I own a SIlverado and plan on looking at the 2022 Tundra with the (allegedly) twin turbos with a 6 cylinder. I did not buy a Tundra because they literally suck the gas. I get 17 around town and I have got up to 33mpg on the hwy with my 2018 Silverado Crew Cab.

It is very difficult to get 20 mpg on the hwy in a Tundra. Resale value always gets brought up-and last time I looked there was a $1,500.00 difference (in the Tundras favor) on resale verses a SIlverado. Yet-my transaction price was a good $8,000 less than the Tundra.

So you can't make a case on resale value.

I am not big truck fan bcs. IMO it is ridiculous to own one if there is no real need for one. But, it is proven truck, besides the fact that uses as much gas as MIG21. Why no love for it? I cannot see why there is love for any truck. But, do you like it? If you do, well, that is what matters.

You know what you are buying - a truck that was designed over 12 years ago that is perfectly reliable and serviceable. They do guzzle gas. Going from a Chevy, it might be eye opening to see what you burn in one of these.

For some, that's what they want. For others, not so much. When I shopped for a truck in 2016, I didn't want to buy my truck from 2004 - and that's how the Tundra felt to me. I went a different direction, with a lot of technology that does not appeal to some on this board. 4.5 years in, and 70,000 miles later, I'd make my decision again in a heartbeat. Different strokes for different folks, and that's OK.

Everyone has a different measuring stick, so if this one crosses all your Ts, you've done well!

It's not even just a gas guzzler with an extreme price tag, but it lacks power behind other competitor's V8 offerings. On that note, most competitors offer multiple engine options which include smaller but more efficient engines. It's cabin lags behind in terms of comfort, and Toyota is behind their competitors in introducing new technology. However, the Tundra is a good, reliable truck that should serve you well for many years to come.

Nice truck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. CrewMax or Double Cab?

The fuel mileage is well documented, so you know going in that 15mpg is typical. 18 can be attained if you want to drive 60 on the interstate for long periods!

I don't pay much attention to reviews. The person forking over the $$ is the only review that matters.

As a titan owner I can tell you import half tons dont get the respect they deserve in general.

That Tundra will be a great if a bit thirsty truck.

Congrats.

If they had come out with the Diesel Dually that was in the planning stages at one time, I'd likely own one.

Honestly, just about the only redeeming quality about the Tundra is it’s expected reliability. It’s still a good truck, but the big 3 have better performance and user ability in literally category.

I’m sure that you will enjoy your new truck. The Tundra has been a very reliable truck. I never considered one when I bought myF-150. I wasn’t planning on doing any towing. I needed something to haul various items that wouldn’t fit in my Escape or Tiguan. I hope you get many dependable miles out of it.

When I worked at the Toyota dealership we couldn’t ever hardly sell Tundra I guess maybe too expensive not sure. We maybe sold a couple a month at most. And had a lot of NOS previous model years always left too. I knew some of the salesman and they told me those trucks didn’t hold a really good resale value among other Toyota vehicles and trucks. We were constantly asked if we had any old used T100 in stock though which was another under appreciated truck for sure. We couldn’t keep Tacoma’s on the lot. I get a lot of messages on here and my other forums always asking about the Tundra mostly the 2017 ones and before. They are very reliable trucks I had a customer who traveled for work and had 400,000+ on his truck running great it was a 2010 model he told me their probably has been 2-3 days it’s gotten a break in 10 years. The only major issue I seen with it was I had to do all 4 bearings because he wanted them done because one of them was worn out so he just had all of them done while he was there and down. They are pretty comfortable too for the most part in my opinion anyway. I think you’ll be happy with it. I like the V8 ones they are great. 👍.

Congrats! Enjoy it! MHO is that it is expected to be reliable but it has no flare. I have no issue with Toyota but when it comes to pick ups they simply lose to the F150, Chevy, GMC, and the RAM. Cabin size is smaller and gas mileage not the best. Tacoma suffers the same issues. They don't seem to be updated as well as they maybe should be. I'd say they just aren't competing with the big boys and that's a ok but it won't get you love.

Back