No Tundra love

As a current 150 owner and gen1 tundra owner I have lived with both the tundra and a domestic. in 3 years the f150 has required dashboard removal and will soon be going back for an antifreeze leak, and has a pesky power window switch. It has already needed a minor alignment. I’ve noted that many parts on the Ford are plastic.

i was the third owner of our tundra, and we all towed with it. After it hit 125k it had a few issues with wheel bearings, but we towed more with it than it should have really seen, so I don’t fault the truck for that. It was used hard. I think the only ”fix” it needed was torn door speaker cones and valve cover gaskets. I loved how the entire rear window would roll down. It was a really fun truck, except the TRD package would beat you up after a while on the interstate. Gas mileage was roughly 18 before I raised the front 1” and went to a 32” tire. Then the mpg was 16 regardless of use.

the 07+ was remarkably refined compared to mine. I’ve only driven one, but it was tighter on the interstate than my f150 today, it drove like it was on rails and felt extremely sports-car/precise like. I’m not sure many folks actually test drive these before they talk about them - my one experience behind the wheel suggested the platform had been very well dialed in, and maybe one reason Toyota hasn’t changed it. There was no slop in it at all.

also, the trade in price on my tundra was 2k less than I paid for it, over 50k miles. There’s that.

I’ve been a Toyota fan back when I had my 2002 Tacoma. Currently 15 Tacoma. Looking forward to the 2022 Tundra. In 4 years my son will be driving and hopefully he’ll get my 15 and I’ll get the new Tundra.

Toyota sells the best new 15 y.o. trucks. Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia, and Landy are all downright ancient

It looks like since the Tacoma redesign they sell roughly 20,000 units a month. Since 2009 Tundra sales are roughly 10,000 units a month. Pales in comparison to Ford/Chevy.

I have a 2016 v8 Tundra and one thing I like is the acceleration. iirc, 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds and can tow up to 10200 lbs. ...
Basically it is fast if you need it.

Merry Christmas everyone! I’ve ordered a new 2021 Tundra Limited - will take delivery mid January. My 06 Silverado is ~3000 short of 300000 miles and it’s just time to replace it. My question to this group is why all the poor mouthing from truck reviewers? They really don’t like this truck -doesn’t matter where you look. I understand it’s not so great on fuel mileage but the 5.7 is a normally aspirated engine and checks most boxes for what I need/want in a truck. What do you guys think?
It will probably be the only new truck that will be as reliable as your 06 Silverado after 300k. They've been using the same engine and transmission for years and haven't updated the truck in a while. Reviewers like new features to talk about. That and they complain about the price.

Thanks for the input guys. Reliable performance was a priority with me. Someone asked Double Cab or Crew Max? - my wife said Crew Max so that’s that 😊. I will say I shopped similar trim levels in the other 3 makes - didn’t find a lot of price differences.
Hope you all can get a break from the craziness this year and have a blessed Christmas season.

Vehicle threads can bring out the worst here …
… sometimes so bad that I worry it could break into a thick vs thin fight …
What oil, wait… never mind … 😷

OP/TS: congrats on the sharp new LT …

Toyota sells the best new 15 y.o. trucks. Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia, and Landy are all downright ancient.
Yep and if they still sold the old solid axle mid 80s 4x4 pickup that’s exactly what I’d be buying. Currently daily drive a 1990 single cab 4x4 and never any trouble out of it. I so love that truck. Actually prefer the 89-94 model but wish it had the solid front axle.

Thanks for the input guys. Reliable performance was a priority with me. Someone asked Double Cab or Crew Max? - my wife said Crew Max so that’s that 😊. I will say I shopped similar trim levels in the other 3 makes - didn’t find a lot of price differences.
Hope you all can get a break from the craziness this year and have a blessed Christmas season.
Reliable performance priority? Then you absolutely picked the right truck! period.

I love the Tundra. My company truck is badly beat up (not by me) but it still runs fine with HARD miles on it. The trim and interior electronics (P-windows, etc.) is pretty much garbage though. Otherwise its rock solid. I would buy one in a heartbeat except for the price. They don't want to deal at all, so I bought a RAM last year.
Our 2010 Tacoma in the work fleet is kind of like that. The volume control on the radio broke, have to use steering wheel controls, the passenger window switch fell down into the door and the drivers seat is completely destroyed in the one spot just from getting in and out a lot. Same driver that drove my 2005 Silverado for a few years before I got it and the drivers seat on it is still mint. The rest of the trick has held up well though. 125k miles and it's only needed a wheel bearing, brakes, a few batteries and tires.

I love Tundras/ Sequoias. Congrats on the buy.

The new Sequoia leaves something to be desired look wise, but a Sequoia with a Tundra TRD front clip is sharp. Can’t get much of a tougher body on frame SUV IMO.

Merry Christmas everyone! I’ve ordered a new 2021 Tundra Limited - will take delivery mid January. My 06 Silverado is ~3000 short of 300000 miles and it’s just time to replace it. My question to this group is why all the poor mouthing from truck reviewers? They really don’t like this truck -doesn’t matter where you look. I understand it’s not so great on fuel mileage but the 5.7 is a normally aspirated engine and checks most boxes for what I need/want in a truck. What do you guys think?

Great choice! If I ever get another pickup, it will be the Tundra.

Reliability is #1 in my book, and the Tundra has that in spades. The only downside for me is the mpg...but you don't buy a pickup for that.

It's not even just a gas guzzler with an extreme price tag, but it lacks power behind other competitor's V8 offerings. On that note, most competitors offer multiple engine options which include smaller but more efficient engines. It's cabin lags behind in terms of comfort, and Toyota is behind their competitors in introducing new technology. However, the Tundra is a good, reliable truck that should serve you well for many years to come.

Tundra 5.7 381 HP / 401 ft lbs.
it does not lack power at all.
Look at the rest of the mainstream V8’s

RAM Hemi 5.7 395HP / 410 ft lbs.
GM 5.3 355HP / 383 FT LBS
2021 F150 5.0 400HP / 410 ft lbs.
Titan 5.6 400HP / 413 ft lbs.

Keep in mind the Tundras Peak torque is at 3600 rpm
The rest are 4000 rpm or a bit more.

It’s just a hotly competitive segment. You don’t have to pay the Toyota tax for a great vehicle.

The thing about any decent truck that critics overlook is that you can get good service out of it literally for decades. The same vehicle goes from first to second to third car to hand-me down in a lot of households.

Last edited:
The biggest issues or complaints with the Tndra is that Toyota cheapened out on frame production. GM and I think Ford went with a heavier duty hydroformed frame making it much stronger than the "C" frame that Toyota still uses. I've seen both frames exposed and the Toyota frame flexes like a wet noodle compared to the others. Two The big three stepped up safety considerably over the Tundra. Unless it was redesigned recently The Tundra scored poor in ofset safety. It had over 13 inches of intrusion into the cab.

The biggest issues or complaints with the Tndra is that Toyota cheapened out on frame production. GM and I think Ford went with a heavier duty hydroformed frame making it much stronger than the "C" frame that Toyota still uses. I've seen both frames exposed and the Toyota frame flexes like a wet noodle compared to the others. Two The big three stepped up safety considerably over the Tundra. Unless it was redesigned recently The Tundra scored poor in ofset safety. It had over 13 inches of intrusion into the cab.
I'm a huge tundra fan, my brother got a 2016 recently and absolutely obsesses over it. Every one I've been in I enjoyed but I am subject to the Toyota bias. With that said this is extremely valid criticism when considering a new vehicle. You may not think about it much but when it pops into your mind you may be alive versus not had you bought a different truck it could sit sideways with you.

Back