No more love for TGMO?!

Rating? What rating?

And:

Pretty much tells us everything.
I also said OCI’s had alot to do with it. No need for the smart comment. And “rated” means it was highly talked about on here and it was all positive

how much people are now paying for TGMO 0w-20? Is it cheaper to buy it at the dealer? I see 6qt for $50 at amazon. Is this the best price?

how much people are now paying for TGMO 0w-20? Is it cheaper to buy it at the dealer? I see 6qt for $50 at amazon. Is this the best price?
Heck no; $6/qt at my local dealer. Amazon is convenient, but not always the best deal. ($48 plus tax for 6 qts. filter and gasket at my local dealer).

Hi everyone. First post here. I own a 16 tundra 5.7 (non flex fuel) I’m an auto tech so I do all my own work and maintenance. Bought the truck used in 2021. I’ve been using TGMO 0w-20 in it for oil changes. Truck doesn’t use any oil and as far as I can tell the oil is preforming okay. I only live 3 miles from work so trips are short because of that I’m doing 3500 to 4000 OCI’s.

My question is.. TGMO used to be highly rated on here.. it seemed like the High Rating has slowly faded away lately. Im not a huge AmsOil fan.. I’ve seen motors full of sludge that have ran it.. although OCI’s had a lot to do with that. But I’ve been pondering the Ams oil “boosted series.” What’s everyone’s opinion on these two oils? Keeping this truck for the long haul.. unless something wild and crazy would happen.
2015 Tacoma 4.0L 122K currently. Sludge what sludge. Amsoil SS 0W30 typically 10K intervals. A few runs of M1 EP 5W30 six months 6000-7000 miles. Using their XL next 6000-7000 miles.

Attachments

• 90FA550C-D47F-4EEB-9421-1FBE42DD8E60.jpeg
    90FA550C-D47F-4EEB-9421-1FBE42DD8E60.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 52
There’s much more to a “good” oil than a ludicrously high viscosity index; come to think of it, when I buy a quality oil I don’t even really care about VI because I know it’s not fluff because the oil isn’t loaded with viscosity index improvers.

TGMO is not even in my top 10 oils; you’d be much better served by using Mobil 1 EP if you’re looking for an oil you can grab off the shelf just about anywhere.

So TGMO went "cheap" on the base oil? The only reason I wouldn't use it is that I can get regular Mobil 1 on sale at Costco for less.

Why other oil you can buy with high mol
Dealer near me has it for $7 a quart. Don’t know why somebody would go out of their way for this stuff. You could grab any off-the-shelf name brand for as much or less.

Molly content ?

I can’t say that I have ever heard of Amsoil causing sludge. You mentioned that the OCI was a factor. Were these neglected engines?
I have never heard of Amsoil causing sludge either. I guess maybe if you run it 30K between oil changes it might. I use Amsoil Signature Series in my 2002 Ford F-150 that I bought used with 29.000 miles in 2005, 4.6 liter, 2 valve engine, and it has never ran so smooth. And, it gets cleaner every time I change the oil at 7500 miles. Use the Amsoil filter too.
And, Amsoil Severe Gear 75-140 in rear diff, Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 in front diff.
Amsoil transmission fluid in transfer case. Everything runs as smooth as silk.
145,000 miles and going strong. (Well, as strong as a 4.6 will go anyway haha)
PS. I ran Valvoline High Mileage 5w20 synthetic before making the switch.
It is great oil but, Amsoil made my engine smoother and quieter. NOT a placebo effect.

Last edited:
TGMO is good oil, manufactured by Xom iirc? The high doses of Moly (~700ppm in some grades) is for timing chain wear, a Japanese priority. M1 in a 5qt jug from Walmart makes a lot more financial sense.

Back