How does TGMO currently rank?

If you’re doing 5,000 mile intervals in a Toyota, almost anything will do. Could you do better than TGMO? I think you could do a lot worse. But better? Depends on what you’re looking for, if you’re looking for a PAO oil maybe try Mobil1 Extended performance 0w20. If not, then I’d think any of the major brands you see on the shelves should be as good as TGMO. Or a boutique oil like Amsoil, Redline, or Schaeffer’s might be considered “top shelf”.

Me, personally, I own a Toyota and quite honestly I’ve never owned a car/engine, that doesn’t seem to consume any amount of oil no matter how I drive it (or for however long an interval). And that’s made me care less about what type of oil I’ll put into it (or how long that interval will be). Right now I’m trying 10,000 miles using Mobil1 EP...next I may run Quaker State or Super Tech for 5,000. Their engines just don’t seem to care.

From WM : M1 0W20 EP , Valvoline 0W20 EP , Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 , Quaker State Full Synthetic 0W20 , Castrol Edge 0W20 .

There is a reason TGMO has a viscosity index of 227. VII needed to compensate for poor base oil VI. (not a GTL base) High Noack. There is a temporary shear (viscosity reduction) of VII at MOFT. That increases the MPG. Along with the very high moly. Buy quarts on line and is expensive but buy bulk, it is cheap.

Toyotas Oil on paper looks fantastic....The Japanese like there Moly and so do I....
Fantastic how? Other than having a larger slug of dimer moly, what makes it look "fantastic"?

I shared some infineum slides on moly the other day here:

There are more later on. I'd recommend giving them a read.

Years ago an XOM sales rep was on this site. I asked him about TGMO at the time and what makes it so special. He said Toyota wanted "Godiva" and not Hershey's. As to what that applies to i have not a clue.....
Shear salesman?

Years ago an XOM sales rep was on this site. I asked him about TGMO at the time and what makes it so special. He said Toyota wanted "Godiva" and not Hershey's. As to what that applies to i have not a clue.....
Well, it sure wasn't the base oils, lol. They did want an extremely high VI however (with the requisite dose of VII) which is why I've never been a fan of it.

TGMO$
I recall reading that old formulations had a good chunk of moly but that may have changed ... Not sure.

Every time I go to the dealer, I see lots of dust on them. You can see it on black. Marketing should change to white or grey jugs.

With regards to ranks..

TGMO lost in a huge upset to a non major label oil in a game last night… So TGMO which was ranked # 22 will likely fall out of the top #25 oil rankings and no longer be ranked at all…

Sad what upsets can do to oils that fall on hard times… :LOL:

The Toyota 0w20/16 here come in 4L metal cans imported from Japan.
The oil itself has a darker tinge when poured and smells different to the mainstream oils.

Not a silly question. I'm just too lazy to try searching:
IF a vehicle calls for a 0W-16, that's what it should get, yes?
Posts here and there seem to imply that some 0W-20's are OK for a 0W-16 engine. Did I see that right?
If I ever get a "0W-16 engine", it's going to get 0W-16.

I wonder how many engines requiring 0W-16 get the wrong stuff.

Back