Valvoline or TGMO 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CarQuest filter was my first clue.
wink.gif

Great answers and info; I take no offense on any of the responses; I do go grocery shopping in my Corolla, also to and from work, trips between Illinois (where I live) and Ohio (HOME), and everything in between.

I put about 15000 - 16000 miles a year on my car, I have never done UOA's - I'm just not that deep into it. I do use good oil. I used PP Platinum or Ultra 5W30 and 5K OCI's in my 2008 Corolla and had 107,000 miles on it when it was totaled last winter. I have pretty much decided to stay with 5K OCI's at least for a while (while it's under warranty) and will pay for the in-between ones. I had thought about doing 7,500 but that would screw up scheduling for the every 10K free ones for the first 60K,

Originally Posted By: Clevy

You crack me up arco. I regularly beat the living daylights out of all my rides,after warm up and I've only destroyed 1 engine in my entire life. You manage to kill them with a few miles around the parking lot.

I hope it's under warranty
If I can make a good ( or adequate, even) audio recording of the knock I will post it on youtube though they compress the audio to garbage. Just shows you the "quality" of new cars these days designed on short design cycle turnarounds and built with "net build" bearing and piston fit. Surprising it lunched on 5w30 and not 0w20
smile.gif
Im still running it as the Nissan dealer said, "well, its not broken in yet and it IS quiet at idle ... drive it and see if it gets worse ...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would NOT go 10k blind unless you put over 25k a year with lots of highway. Our subi oil is toast by 7K in the forester - in fact Subaru just shrunk the OCI interval to 6K miles using "synthetic" on the 2015's.

I agree with this. To the OP, do you have a good view of the valve train through the oil fill cap? If so, keep an eye on it, just to make you aren't developing varnish or deposits with the longer oil drain intervals.

I know the SN/GF-5 oils are better in this regard, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious, in my mind. Just a few years ago, Valvoline was recommending 3 month/3,000 miles for the Synpower, and that was suppose to be their top of the line oil! It was the SM version, and in the UOAs the TBN retention wasn't good in longer drains. Probably why Valvoline didn't recommend it longer than they did. Good news is that the new Synpower SN/GF-5 formulas are doing much better in that regard.
On shorter intervals, say 5,000, I know Synpower does a really good job of keeping the valve train varnish free, just not sure how it does at 10,000 mile changes. Hence, my advise to be cautious.

Toyota is saying owners can go 10,000 miles on synthetic. They have tested TGMO and know what it does and what it can do in their engines. Makes me curious how other synthetic oils hold up because 10,000 miles are a lot of miles for ANY oil.

Last edited:
If TGMO is no or little more use it before Valvoline. Probably Valvoline is just as good. Forget about 5k oil change, there's no point when you are using synthetic, it's waste of money and time. Better to take wife, girlfriend, friend or a dog for a dinner out.
Your Toyota will last long with 10k OCI on synthetics.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would NOT go 10k blind unless you put over 25k a year with lots of highway. Our subi oil is toast by 7K in the forester - in fact Subaru just shrunk the OCI interval to 6K miles using "synthetic" on the 2015's.

OT, and I don't wanna start a debate, but i do want to ask you why don't you try A3 oil in your Subaru since ILSAC gf 5 disintegrate after 7k?. I'm sure it will handle your engine better and you could do 10k OCI easy without sacrificing your economy. Of course if car is out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back