No-Spill Gasoline Container Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many of the posters in this topic are confused. Gas can vents were to be opened while filling or draining the can to allow the air to escape or enter as needed. The vent was supposed to be sealed tightly during storage and non-use. The vents were never there to prevent flexing of the can during temperature changes. If you did leave the vent open during rising temperatures, the vapors in the gas would escape, making the gas less explosive. Then in cooler temperatures, it would suck outside air and moisture into the can, contaminating the gas. To keep gas fresh and contamination free, you need a tightly sealing gas can. The whole environmental benefit of not releasing vapors into the air is just a positive side effect.

With that being said, My no spill cans are over a year old now and they have been flexing all along just like yours. I keep them in a low ceiling shed with no shade nearby. The cans have no stress fading, much less stress cracks or anything concerning going on with the plastic. Between my own use as well as helping family members and friends, I have tried all of the commonly available gas cans out there. No-Spill are still the best fuel cans I have ever used. Blitz cans are the worst I have tried. Metal fuel cans are expensive, plus they dent, scratch and rust easily; over rated IMO.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I have one, not "No spill" brand, that has split at the seam in handle.

Well I like turtles....

33.gif

Unless I am very mistaken; we are discussing the actual No-Spill Brand of gas cans. Not the "no spill" style of gas cans.

Here is No-Spill's take on the expanding and contracting:

http://www.nospill.com/Expanding-Contracting-Gas-Cans.html

Thanks for the link AMC. I read it and what seems to be the solution is this:

"Keep the gas can out of direct sunlight and away from temperature swings."

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: AVB
I have one, not "No spill" brand, that has split at the seam in handle.

Well I like turtles....

33.gif

Unless I am very mistaken; we are discussing the actual No-Spill Brand of gas cans. Not the "no spill" style of gas cans.

Here is No-Spill's take on the expanding and contracting:

http://www.nospill.com/Expanding-Contracting-Gas-Cans.html
I checked it today, that was a Scepter gas can that split.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I think many of the posters in this topic are confused. Gas can vents were to be opened while filling or draining the can to allow the air to escape or enter as needed. The vent was supposed to be sealed tightly during storage and non-use. The vents were never there to prevent flexing of the can during temperature changes. If you did leave the vent open during rising temperatures, the vapors in the gas would escape, making the gas less explosive. Then in cooler temperatures, it would suck outside air and moisture into the can, contaminating the gas. To keep gas fresh and contamination free, you need a tightly sealing gas can. The whole environmental benefit of not releasing vapors into the air is just a positive side effect.

With that being said, My no spill cans are over a year old now and they have been flexing all along just like yours. I keep them in a low ceiling shed with no shade nearby. The cans have no stress fading, much less stress cracks or anything concerning going on with the plastic. Between my own use as well as helping family members and friends, I have tried all of the commonly available gas cans out there. No-Spill are still the best fuel cans I have ever used. Blitz cans are the worst I have tried. Metal fuel cans are expensive, plus they dent, scratch and rust easily; over rated IMO.

+1

Of all the "safety cans" I've tried I like No-Spill brand the best. Are they perfect, no.

I haven't experienced any issues with them expanding/contracting so far and gas seems to stay fresh longer. The older non-EPA cans definitely pour faster, but they also off-gas (open nozzle and most have missing vent covers). I really only prefer the older cans for filling diesel equipment (skid and excavator) due to quantity. Small gas equipment like lawn tractor, saw, weedwacker, etc... the no-spill works well.

As far as metal cans... always rusty, "oil-can" from expansion/contraction and have terrible nozzles (i.e. spill).

I use the Eagle metal cans. I've not had any issues with bad fuel since I made the switch. I also keep the cans outside in a large black truck box I found somewhere but I have seen lots of people who have built outdoor boxes to keep their fuel in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back