Rotating out the winter generator gasoline

After Huricane Katrina, every spring I fill every empty fuel container I own with non-ethanol fuel and mark the container with the date of purchase. Normally by July I'll have 60-80 gallons on hand stored in three different sheds on my property.
I'll use the oldest fuel first, in lawn equipment or atvs. Late September I'll start pouring the cans into or gas powered vehicles to use it faster and empty most of the cans for the winter.
That reminds me...I needed to go give my generators a yank to me sure they'll start.

I'd also add my
49.gif
and suggest looking at propane carb conversions. The price has dropped a lot... to ~$30!

Then you can grab propane bottles at the dump, trade them in on "Blue Rhino", run those dry, and refill with a proper 20 lbs. Stuff lasts, of course, forever.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I'd also add my
49.gif
and suggest looking at propane carb conversions. The price has dropped a lot... to ~$30!

Then you can grab propane bottles at the dump, trade them in on "Blue Rhino", run those dry, and refill with a proper 20 lbs. Stuff lasts, of course, forever.

Storage wise that would work great. Never go bad. But from a fuel density standpoint no.
Any generator bigger than 1500 watts , will eat up propane fast. Would take a lot of propane tanks to equal 20 gallons of gasoline.

Last edited:
yup.

Because of its low density in any kind of extended outage propane only works well if you have a lawn sausage otherwise you are swapping 20's day and night especially under a load like a window shakers, or refrigerators so you can sleep at night.
To run a couple lights or laptops camping a few hours a night - sure.

I cycle a complete tank twice a year under a moderate genset load to keep it excersized and rotate metal 5 er's throughout the year.
Ill use a dry erase marker on sth side to notate the fill date and flip them into vehicles with a jiggle siphon about every 6 months or so.

Store gas in metal containers.
Plastic containers even the good ones still leak vapor when hot where metal just won't unless there is a cap problem.
lift up that tarp on a 100 a degree day and thats gas you will be smelling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I had 20 gallons of high-test gasoline...
Why premium fuel for a generator? It's not as if it has the compression ratio to need or benefit from premium. You would be better off finding some ethanol free fuel. Personally I like to keep 5-10 gallons on hand, plus whatever is in the generator tank itself. My inverter generator will go for 24 hours on it's own tank plus five gallons, and that easily translates to 3 days under survival conditions. I should probably mention that I have an alternate natural gas fired heat source that requires no electricity, no well or sump pump, and gas fired hot water that does require electricity. The gas fired range can be lit with a match, but the oven requires electricity. Even over the coldest days of winter I could survive comfortably with electricity only 8 hours per day.

Say one has ethanol's free fuel with Stabil in it. What's the shelf life of that?

Perhaps one would only have to swap gas out once a year.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Say one has ethanol's free fuel with Stabil in it. What's the shelf life of that?

Perhaps one would only have to swap gas out once a year.

Ethanol free stored full in sealed steel cans, like jerry cans, is good for years. No need for stabil either. Jerry cans have been working for 80 years but people just want to bang themselves in the head figuring out alternative inferior solutions.

Probably right … average gas can has some funky spouts these days
… but thinking the VP seals good with that heavy duty screw on cap .
I don't fool with the hose kit … funnel works just fine for me.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Probably right … average gas can has some funky spouts these days
… but thinking the VP seals good with that heavy duty screw on cap .
I don't fool with the hose kit … funnel works just fine for me.

Vp will state plastic is for transportation steel is for storage.

5 gallons to ten is enough. Rotate your fuel three times a year w stabil and just keep the amount of fuel to reasonable levels

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Why couldn't you just go get gas if you need it? Let the gas station store it for you.

When the power goes out, no gas is pumped at gas stations. The pumps are powered by electricity. Haven't seen a gas station with back up gens.
No power, and no heat is not fun at - 25 F.
The local major RT95 Truck Stop has a nice generator set and 3 gasoline pumps. I don’t store gasoline except filling my 5 gallons pre storm I have for snow blowing and moving. Key is buying off hours.

Back