No more borrowing our my car and trailer....uggg

So I have a 2008 RAV4 and a small 4 x 6 foot trailer. As you probably know, a short trailer is hard to back up, easy to jackknife. Last year younger brother asks to borrow it. Usually I just say I'll be over and help but this time, I let him borrow it. Guess what.....came back with the back bumper dinged on BOTH sides. I look and sure enough, matches exactly with the trailer in a jack knife position. He never said a word and I questioned if he even knew. Car is old.....let it go. I tell myself...."never again".
Last night I got a request from another friend. I thought he was more experienced with trailers. Made the mistake to let him borrow it....warned him repeatedly on difficulty of backing. Almost same resiult except I suspect as he was jack knifing it...he backed into his retaining wall. Never said a word....

Never again will I borrow out my car with this trailer attached. Thank god the car is old....

its like having a pick truck or moving truck. lots of folks want you to help them move or borrow it. i tell them to go rent one .

Loan just the trailer and let them bust up their own bumper?

It must have been pretty funny watching me try to back up a Honey Wagon with a Farmall H years ago. I didn't think it was funny at the time, though. Never could get that thing backed up straight.

What's the rear visibility like on that Rav?

I had the 4x4 foot HF trailer behind my wife's HHR, that was murder to both see and operate. Some flags sticking up out of the rear corners would probably have helped. Car did not have much glass, high belt line, and the glass it had was tinted. Had to turn until the trailer became visible in a mirror to even see the thing.

I completely understand your position.....I couldn't hit the "like" button as it seemed inappropriate.
1) Had a van years ago and STRANGERS would call and ask to borrow it. One person (a stranger who didn't identify herself) snipped and snorted at me when I declined to loan it to her. AMAZING. And, of course, she made no mention of payment of any kind.

2) Do you know what you call a person who loans his tools out? A SAW LOSER.....get it? get it?

I loaned out our toy hauler last year to a doctor who lived just a short ways away, as a way to keep their family safe at the start of the pandemic. That would have been fine, but I guess one of their kids and a friend of the kid, decided that the tires needed to be flattened...

6 new tires at 650.00 each + tax, installed...

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up, my Father borrowed my Uncles trailer.
When we were done using it, my Father painted it for him.

For me, it's - Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Last edited:
Every vehicle/trailer I have loaned to family or friends has come back damaged or not at all. One even had the car repaired after an accident and tried to not say anything; his brother ratted him out after I came asking about the runs in my paint.

Forgive me, but, is "toy hauler" a slang term for 5th wheel? seriously, 6 tires and all...

A toy hauler is a trailer that the back opens down making a ramp that you haul your motor toys in. It can be a 5th wheel or tow behind. The living area is at the front and they have innovative ways to make beds go up and furniture folds flat to the walls to make room.

Back