No more borrowing our my car and trailer....uggg

That's why I go slow--that and I'm lousy at it. Automatic transmission for the win here.

Once I got somewhat used to it, I kinda liked backing up my 4x8 with a small car. Quick response, works good in narrow spots. Haven't tried anything shorter than that though.

I am probably glutton for punishment. I loan my car trailer out and have even loaned the truck out with the trailer. I will continue to do so.
I think with the car trailer this is 44ish feet overall.

I loan cars out a bit as My sister in law and Brother in law full time RV, when they are up here for the summers the Sister in law will use the Malibu pretty often.

I have only had the one bad experience with the 05 Grand Prix GTP. My wife's friend had to use it when I was fixing her Tribeca. She hit a curb which messed up the control arm and steering rack.

20191212_161020.jpg

Last edited:
I've been there and done that. I loaned out my 5x10 trailer and got it back with a broken clearance light and what I thought was a bent jack. The pad that the jack was bolted to was what was actually bent and I couldn't get get it bent back straight so it's still this way years later. After that I don't lend it out anymore. The guy I loaned it to said he didn't do it.

I also have an 18' car hauler that I've had several people ask to borrow. I tell them I don't lend it out but I will go help you get whatever you need to haul. I also don't typically loan out my vehicles.

I do not like to lend out items either. Especially motorcycles. I tend to take very good care of my tools and vehicles and do not like to borrower them out.

Yeah we don’t loan out stuff lol. Also I’d never drive with a trailer ever or anything in the back of a pickup either scares me to death lol.

I lent out my perfect Honda 350 Scrambler back in the day.
Didn't work out well...
Yes, I lent out a brand new 1981 Honda Custom 400 and it didn't work out well either. I never was paid for the damage. Relative or immediate family you know how it goes. Sad, sad situation. I just ate the damage and life went on.............Nobody rides my brand new Honda Monkey except for myself. I learned the hard way.

Too small of a trailer and a short tongue isn’t good. I love my truck bed trailer, it’s perfect for me.

I’ve loaned it out a couple times, not worried about it. Heck, if someone on here wanted to borrow it (local, like dishdude etc.) I’d say sure come pick it up.
AA83799E-2D8B-480E-B865-9F6E90E503D0.jpeg

Pretty spindly construction on the tongue of that pickup bed trailer. I wouldn't load it very heavy.
It’s actually a homemade boat trailer that someone made and I bolted the bed to it.

The springs are really soft, definitely not a heavy duty trailer. I use it for runs to Home Depot, haul junk to the dump, and my ATV.

I did once haul 2,200 pounds of broken up concrete to the dump. The springs were bottomed out on the bump stops. I didn’t know it was going to be near that much since it really added up quick and the construction guys finished before I could see it.

I've loaned my 5x10 trailer out twice.
My brother when it was brand new, returned it with a busted tail light.
Later a buddy whom I owed a favor borrowed it to move. He neglected to secure his cargo and something hit the ramp and broke the weld holding the latch. His welder "was in storage" so his solution to repair was to drill it and bolt it on with a #12 machine screw and a nut. No lock washer, no Nyloc nut....just a screw and a nut that was loose by the time I got home.
His 3/16" hole he drilled weakened the ramp and it eventually broke from the weigh of my mower.
At least they both had vehicles to tow with.
Another lesson learned the hard way.

What's the rear visibility like on that Rav?

I had the 4x4 foot HF trailer behind my wife's HHR, that was murder to both see and operate. Some flags sticking up out of the rear corners would probably have helped. Car did not have much glass, high belt line, and the glass it had was tinted. Had to turn until the trailer became visible in a mirror to even see the thing.
My wife has a Rav4, when we back up any trailer we can't see, we ALWAYS flip up the hatchback.

I am loathe to loan out tools and vehicles. I've helped family with moving but, I drive my truck. You pay the fuel. You'll help me load and unload. We'll get it done but you are not getting the keys and driving off sight unseen. I cannot trust that they will even fuel it at all or correctly. (Premium only on factory high-stress, high compression mill)

But I have a good neighbor story, as I'm just a loathe to borrow equipment/ vehicles. A rental property neighbor on one side borrowed the other- side neighbor's trailer for moving. It was returned with damaged wiring and a busted tail/tag illumination lamp.

I had a major cleanup project that I could tackle if I just had a touch more hauling capability. I asked the neighbor about his trailer. He was willing to help but complained about how he got it back in a shambles. I said to him, "I'll bring her back better than you loaned it as a thanks." It had an oddball trailer hitch size, so he gave me his locking adaptor, keys and permission. I repaired it first, used it, then returned it.

He got a new, complete wire harness, adaptor for the trailer electrics and updated, bright new LED running and tail/tag lamps. When I dropped it off, the fresh paint was still sticky, but he appreciated it. From then on out, neither of us hesitated to loan tools or equipment to one another, turns out, he was just as willing to maintain any of my borrowed gear as I was when I borrowed his. I even slipped him ½ his registration fees one year because we both ran the heck out of his utility trailer.

Not all borrowers are bad. But I'd say responsible ones are rare. Yet rarer yet are those willing to pony up wear 'n' tear and operational costs, let alone deal with damages. I've learned to handle it on a case by case basis... and use your eyes. How does their vehicles, equipment and tools look? If they show at least a little pride in ownership, I'm more likely to say, "Yeah bro, go ahead."

Last edited:
That’s rare but it’s kindness, gratitude and /understanding/. I borrowed by boss’s trailer once - lights didn’t work, rattled awfully bad. Fixed the lights, bolted in the loose boards and cleaned it up. Just like you, it’s available for me now any time I ask, and he also gets free reign of my inverter generator, not a cheap piece of equipment but it comes back without a scratch and full of gas. Heck, even if he did scratch hit, he basically put my kids through school. I am fortunate to work for a very, very good man.

I completely understand your position.....I couldn't hit the "like" button as it seemed inappropriate.
1) Had a van years ago and STRANGERS would call and ask to borrow it. One person (a stranger who didn't identify herself) snipped and snorted at me when I declined to loan it to her. AMAZING. And, of course, she made no mention of payment of any kind.

2) Do you know what you call a person who loans his tools out? A SAW LOSER.....get it? get it?
Wait what? Strangers calling to borrow your van? This just doesn’t make any sense?

Back