no GC at autozone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to gloat, but I feel badly for you guys in the 'States that are having problems getting GC. I've got about 20 quarts (litres actually) and I just changed the oil in my wife's Explorer so I decided to increase my stash. I bought 8 quarts at Wal-Mart (all M06) and I noticed 2 remaining quarts so I figured I'd take them too....exept they were M02 (?).

Anyway, I was also at PartSource looking for a fluid pump and I checked their oil section (it's where I usually buy my GC) and they had a full rack with about 12 quarts.

I couldn't get the pump I wanted at PartSource, so I went to Canadian Tire...and of course I had to check the oil section. They had at least 14 quarts on the shelf (M06 on the ones I checked).

All these stores are within 5 minutes of each other.

My guess is that Canadian customers are more receptive to "0W" oils and there is greater demand up here.

I know GC is as addictive as crack to some of you guys, so I'm going to wait until the US supply dries up and then I'll start doing a re-sale export business with ridiculous profit margins. Remember...it's a true group IV! LOL.

No, I repeat NO AZ here in Maryland has re-upped there GC stock since I have started purchasing it. What does this mean? I don't know. But if stock is not replenished after >3 months, that tells me something (I don't want to wait an extra 3000 miles over my interval to do an oil change).

Of course, If I get a bad UOA, then I have approximately 100 quarts of GC to sell to anyone interested.

New to GC and have started stashing. I purchased 73 quarts at 6 stores last week. All stores indicated that they keep it in stock but they don't know anything about the elves. Nine of the stash is green and several of the gold were bottled in the square Katrina bottles.

Couple of the AZ stores around my local area have almost completely sold out all the Gold GC. All they have left is the US made ones. Sadly, im moving on to a different oil now.

At the Autozone I work at in Universal City, TX, the GC is marked as sell thru, which means we sell it for 1/2 off.

Last edited:
Quote:

At the Autozone I work at in Universal City, TX, the GC is marked as sell thru, which means we sell it for 1/2 off.

Is that AZ's corporate policy or is it your store's policy as determined by the whims of the manager?

I stopped by my most local AZ on Sunday and checked the oil shelves for GC. Previously they had maybe 3-4 quarts left after what I bought.

This time there was none and the shelf space was occupied by something else. I asked the manager about it and he blankly told me he had no clue (which went along with his facial expressions). I then asked if they could order some and his reply was "that's a good question!" He made no movement to check or find out. What a dweeb.

Quote:

I stopped by my most local AZ on Sunday and checked the oil shelves for GC. Previously they had maybe 3-4 quarts left after what I bought.

This time there was none and the shelf space was occupied by something else. I asked the manager about it and he blankly told me he had no clue (which went along with his facial expressions). I then asked if they could order some and his reply was "that's a good question!" He made no movement to check or find out. What a dweeb.

I think my next question would be:

Do you think they may carry it at ?

There is plenty of GC available around here (Toronto). Nobody wants it anyway... At 8.50 per litre, I admit it's a tad bit high. However, if it is as good as every one proclaims, I would like to try it.

To put GC's price in perspective, Cheapest PP I found on sale was going for 27 bucks for 5 litres. Otherwise its at 7.12 per litre. I dont know how people stateside buy it for a buck
confused.gif

Since I found out AZ is not carrying GC anymore, I made a run to all of the AutoZones withing 30 miles (5 of them) and came up with 19 quarts of GC. One store had GC all the way back to 02 (which is the green i think), and when I checked out he said "I didnt even know we carried this stuff". At least this will get me through 4 more oil changes.

Quote:

Quote:

Is that AZ's corporate policy or is it your store's policy as determined by the whims of the manager?

I'll find out tonight.

What did you find out about the 1/2-off deal, and can you confirm what I was told by a "Zoner" that GC has been discontinued nationwide?

Well, I mis-spoke concerning the 1/2 off deal. Normally when something is marked sell through, we can mark it down, however, I have learned we cannot mark down motor oil. Sorry guys.

As for GC being discontinued, that looks to be the truth. Usually when something is marked as sell thru, once it's gone, AZ will not be replenishing our stock.

#@$%!? Why would theye do that? I was just reading up on this stuff and going to start trying it out... and then THIS. That blows.

Talked with a Castrol rep today at their 800 number. He gave me the numbers for multiple distributors and indicated that the GC is stil being made.

Quote:

...I was told by a "Zoner" that GC has been discontinued nationwide?

Just to clarify, "discontinued nationwide" refers to AutoZone no longer carrying it and has nothing to do with Castrol's importation or production of GC.

I just picked up 15 quarts off Castrol Syntec at two AZ's in Connecticut, 3 being 5w-40 and 12 being the sought out 0w-30. Also picked up 3 free Bosch filters with their buy 5 get the filter free deal. Their still is some left in CT.
Yes, it is the 0w-30 made in Germany.
popcorn.gif
getdown.gif
stirthepot.gif
driving.gif

I also have a question about mixing the 0w-30 with a conventional 5w-30, " is it ok to do so?" It is going into 2004 and 2005 Toyota 4 cylinders, a 2.4 and a 1.8.

Thanks in advance.
popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back