no GC at autozone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, this is the end of the mighty GC in the USA. The group 3 war is winning.
frown.gif

OK, this is serious. After I went on my 30-quart binge buy last month, I stopped back in the AZ that had about 20 quarts left on the shelf, and guess what? ALL GONE! There must be some other BITOG GC-hoarder here in the Milwaukee area. The store closest to my house still has four quarts on the shelf (one is USA) but another store near work is out and it's been that way for a month now.

I asked the clerk if it was discontinued and she looked it up in the computer. It came up as "store stock" or something like that, which she told me meant they were supposed to have it but they're just out right now. I asked about sell through and she said no, just out.

A truck is supposed to come next Tuesday so she said to call and see if any was on that shipment. I'll let you know the result...

I just went to an AZ I had cleared out 3-4 months ago, still no new stock. In fact, every AZ I pass that I have cleared out, has never restocked it.

Went to 2 AZ's this morning in NYC. It is official. No more will be reordered. They were told to sell what they have in stock and use the shelf space for something else.

Yes, it's sad. The volume of GC sales compared to the overall volume of Castrol Syntec just didn't justify the shelf space. The truth is that the overwhelming majority of Castrol Syntec buyers go for the "standard" weights like 5W-30, 10W-30, etc. It would not surprise me to find them dropping Syntec 5W-40 and 5W-50 (both great oils) in the near future.

It's time for us all to admit that we have a problem and should seek some help. Maybe this forum should be re-labeled "GC Anonymous"? GC is almost extinct in the US and we have to get over it ASAP! Now, grow up!

Quote:

It's time for us all to admit that we have a problem and should seek some help. Maybe this forum should be re-labeled "GC Anonymous"? GC is almost extinct in the US and we have to get over it ASAP! Now, grow up!

I'll join you in a little while. I still have 27 quarts left!

Quote:

GC Anonymous? #@$%! no!

Either we do a group buy or start finding the next great oil.

I think I have enough left for another 49K of driving.

By then we will have found a new great oil.

I think we already have a few options with Redline 5W-30 and 5W-40, Elf 0W-30, Amsoil 5W-40 Euro, Mobil 1 0W-40, maybe Delvac 1 5W-40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

.....and maybe even with the April promo for Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 at Checkers /Schucks/Kragen/Murrays for $0.99 / qt [after rebate]

I bet the psychologists at Castrol are LTAO with this little social engineering experiment. We need George Bailey to step in and prevent a run on Autozones....

Ha Ha today I found two qts of GC green M0507 and M0512, but the discount is over and would've been $14 I turned it down
pat2.gif
, I guess I'm OK.

Quote:

Those lot numbers aren't green. Green is M0501xxx and earlier, not M051.

I know I read that here too and when its close I crack them open and shine a light, I did it to both and they were green looked like antifreeze.
I did use an auto-zone led light maybe that made it look green but I use a similar light at home and it works the Gold comes up gold every time.

Quote:

.....and maybe even with the April promo for Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 at Checkers /Schucks/Kragen/Murrays for $0.99 / qt [after rebate]

CSK has dropped the Synpower 5-40 grade. It's no longer on the PA site, and none of my branches that used to stock it have space on the shelves for it now. 20-50 is still available.

I don't frequent NAPA, but their Xmas flyer had all Valvoline oils on sale, so they probably do a promo every so often.

Now that AZ has dropped GC and Red Line SI-1, I find there's little reason to even go there anymore.

I hit the AZ in CC TX (Leopard St) and they had the GC rack full. The first bottle was gold, right behind it was one M02 American Made yellow label, and behind that was a bunch of dusty M02 green. Never have seen all 3 different kinds on the same shelf in one outing.

Went to my 2 local AZ's the other day and they don't even have a place for it on the shelf anymore. In fact, it looks like they cut back on most Syntec oils.

"Some of you guys are going to be hoarding GC so tightly that you won't even dare use it for fear of not being able to get any more! Sounds like 1920 just before Prohibition went into effect."

Don't be silly.

We'll just have to extend our OCIs to 30,000 miles to make sure our stashes will outlast our vehicles.

Went to my usual AZ the other day (Watertown, MA), and the GC slot on the shelf was empty. Also checked for M1 TDT 5W-40 (since that's my other favorite oil) but they didn't have that either (not that I was surprised; they've never had it or the original 5W-40 TSUV). So, I read the boards on BITOG, including all of the posts in this thread, and I figured it was time to make more of an effort to find somewhere with the M1 TDT oil. There are some posts on the PCMO board that indicate that AZ will start carrying the TDT, so I stopped into the AZ in Allston today to look for it. There was none, and no slot on the shelf for it, but they did have 5 quarts of GC left, including 2 green! I bought them out, of course. On the way out, I asked the manager about discontinuing GC, and he told me he knew nothing about that, and that they expected to get more in. Instead, he told me that AZ was discontinuing all M1 oils because Mobil was raising its prices faster than the price of oil was increasing.

So, the upshot is, I really don't think anyone at AZ knows what they are or are not going to be carrying anytime in the future. I've never stashed oil before, but I may have to start a collection in case we go through a spell where I can't find any of my favorite oils anywhere.

Matt
'99 Saab 9³

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back