No API starburst on 10w-40 oil bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tooslick;
I think you are on the right track with your answer. The GF-4 specs are "doable", but not with a group I base stock.
There may be some truth to the old boys' Club API.
The oil companies have spent billions on group II and III refining capabilities, and supply has outpaced demand for the more expensive product.
Solution:
1. Lower the additive levels and the evaporative losses which causes oil consumption and cat-con damage.
2. Make that quality of lubricant the new bench-mark and warranty requirement for new vehicles, 05 and later.
3. Call that new engine oil SM/GF-4, likely a II+ III blend and charge more.
4. The auto manufactures get a "synthetic", the oil companies sell their group IIIs.
5. The consumer pays more for the lubricant and saves at the fuel pumps.
6. Raising the lubricant's viscosity to prevent oil consumption is not an option as that band-aid approach hurts fleet fuel efficiency.
7. When and if oil consumption is eliminated with this approach, engine oil additive levels may raised in the future if needed.
8. The top-guns at Club API profit from base oil sales to smaller oil companies and the private label industry.

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:
Unfortunately, the marketers of some the non-certified oils do not explicitly and honestly state the reason for the lack of API certification.
^
Throw out a generalization without naming names.
Then link it with a non specific references to Amsoil without substantiation of facts or time references.

What upsets me about Amsoil is that they didn't disclose until recently (and then it was by accident) the real reason that their oils (except for XL-7500) are not API certified. In the past they came up with all sorts of bizarre excuses about the reason for their lack of API certification and this greatly contributed to the distrust that people have of the company.

Looks like slander to me.

To duck the charge of slander please provide the following:

1. What is the honest reason for a small niche oil company to not have all or any of their oils API Licensed?

2. Why do non-API licensed oils have to explicitly state why they do not choose to go the API licensing route.

3. What is the real reason that was accidentally disclosed by Amsoil and how was it accidentally disclosed.

4. How far in the past and what were those bizarre excuses that added so much to the distrust of Amsoil?

If you want people on this board to believe you then you are going to have to qualify blank statements like those you posted.

If, however you just retired from a journalism job writing editorials then I understand.

FYI. What works on the masses doesn't work on this forum. To many inquisitive minds.

quote:

I am not sure I have EVER seen a 40wt that has the starburst. If anyone has, I would be interested in knowing which oil it is.

pscholte, Mobil One 0W-40 is now ILSAC GF-3 certified. You will only see GF-3 on the newer bottles.

QOUTE:
"The problem with the non-API certified synthetics is that they contain too much phosphorus (in the form of the additive ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates)). The API has limited the amount of phosphorus because phosphorus shortens the life of the catalytic converter. These oils are fine for snowmobiles, motorcycles, and older cars that don't have a catalytic converter, and the extra ZDDP does provide additional wear protection."

So then, by using API certified oil we sacrifice engine longevity for cat longevity?
Hmmmmm.

[ August 11, 2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: harrydog ]

quote:

Amsoil is well aware of the phosphorus issue, however they have chosen to address it by reducing the volatility of the specific type of ZDDP compounds they use. This allows them to use optimum ZDDP levels for extended drains. ZDDP is also very effective at preventing oil oxidation and thickening over long drain intervals, so it's a multifunctional additive.

If you have any other technical questions about oil formulation chemistry, please drop me a line.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics [/QB]

Thanks, just might someday
smile.gif

Guess I should have replaced at least 7 cat coverters by now as that is at least how many engines I have used the non API Amsoil on. Never had to replace an exhaust system nor a cat converter as yet.

Hey, does the Amsoil warranty cover cat converters if they go????

This has become a long thread, but I would like to go back to the original question. There are two different API licensed symbols for oil labels. I think the one in question is the "starburst", not the "donut".

All major brand (and most other) detergent oils have the "donut" and are API SL (the latest rating). GF-3 is the "energy conserving" rating required for most late-model US and Japanese cars. That rating earns the "starburst". Europe has their own ACEA ratings. M1 0W-40 is the only GF-3 and ACEA A3 oil I have ever seen.

10W-40, by definition, cannot be GF-3 because the fuel economy requrement is based on fuel savings compared to 10W-40.

Holy smokes
shocked.gif
did not want to start bashing amsoil again. My question was answered in the first couple of responses. Am I worried about motorcraft or amsoil not having the starburst
rolleyes.gif
no and I will keep using them for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back