No 0w- in high performance engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentleman,

i am tired of some kind of discussions in some other Forums and need some knowledge and hard facts.

Most people say "Dont use 0w- oils in high performance engines!" (e.g. my Honda S2000 with 9.000 RPM redline)

Why? They say:
- The VI Improvers shear down quickly, the oil getting thin fast.
- The 5w- and 10W- oils are more robust, they can take more pressure (in the bearings for example).
- The 5w- and 10w oils have a higher HTHS. The 0w HTHS is maybe to low.
- Use of 0w- oils in cars like Porsche, AMG, Nissan GTR is just becasue the oil companys and the manufactures have made a deal.

My point of view:
- If the oil thins out because the VI improvers shears, i just make shorter OCIs.
- 0w protects the engine better "all-around" because it also reduces the cold start wear.
- Oil has been improved over the years, and oils like Mobil 1 0w-40 have shown that they perform extremly well.
- A HTHS above 3.5 should be good enough for almost any application.
- 0w- Oils perform well in cars like Porsche, Nissan GTR, AMG and so on.

I dont like to open a can of worms, but i need some education. Especially the points "HTHS" and "VI Improvers shear down" interesst me.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, many people don't really understand. I was talking to my coworker at the auto parts store and telling him I bought 0w-30 oil and intended to put it in my old truck. He looked at me like I was crazy.

In my opinion a focus on viscosity or grade is nearly always secondary to what is required by the manufacturer. If you have a Mercedes or Porsche or BMW there in Germany then use an oil that has the actual certification or approval the manufacture states in your owner's manual.

The idea that they have "made a deal" is just silly. These same manufacturers that have supposedly made the deal also have oils that don't have the required approvals, and are those people saying you could use one of them just because the manufacturer's name is the same? Marketing will happen but the oil either has the approvals or it doesn't, that's where it matters.

I agree with your point of view. I ran 0w30 (Euro Castrol high HTHS) in my MB diesel, not high performance but a lot of pressure on that crank and bearings. Make a long story short I drove it from Nürnberg to Mönchengladbach every weekend and back foot to the floor for a few years without any issues, that's hard on the little 2.0 diesel in a big W123 body.
It started easier and got an extra 10Kmh on the top end over 15w40.

My Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 D.I. engine owners manual for 2019 does not mention 0w options / thus guessing does not allow 0w oils, for my use. The manual only mentions 5W20/30 and 10W30.

Hyundai may allow it (Ow) for other engines in it's numerous engines portfolio, current or past years.

OF course you can.

Ilmor recommends mobil 1 0w40 for my wicked 710 marine engine.

UD

Get a UOA done. It measures exactly some much it sheared down. In fact, browse through the existing UOA's and look for KV100's that are lower than what was expected.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Get a UOA done. It measures exactly some much it sheared down. In fact, browse through the existing UOA's and look for KV100's that are lower than what was expected.
smile.gif

Any UOA that conclusively distinguishes between viscosity deviation due to fuel dilution and mechanical shear is few and far between. Good luck on that.

Instead of trying to get the best performance on the margins from group 3 oils with low additives, kick that stuff to the curb and use oils that are polar, stable branched chain, denser, with high aw/ep additives in your non di tubro high performance application. Of course general questions don't really do anything but open a can worms, maybe you should narrow down to the engine and application you really have in mind.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
0w40 would perform quite well in many high performance engines.

But is it necessary?

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by dlundblad
0w40 would perform quite well in many high performance engines.

But is it necessary?

What is necessary is what the manufacturer requires in terms of approvals and specifications.

I get flack about using 0W-30 in my Tacoma engine by a lot of peers because "It wasn't specced for that" and I should be using 10W-30 instead, but it wasn't specced for 10W either! Lmaooo, non-BITOG'ers..

My Tacoma loves the 0W, and hasn't given me any trouble at all. And near as I can tell, has been more than beneficial in this crazy cold snap! And this is my third change with it, I use it year round. No trouble in summer heat to speak of either! Not a high performance engine by any means, but it does get used for hauling around heavy ATV's and camping gear all summer long.

Since its the oil that's spec'd by the manufacturer in my case id say yes.

Seems foolish to second guess Ilmor with all the indy wins, pole positions, engineering talent and skill.

UD

710.jpg

Originally Posted by burla
Instead of trying to get the best performance on the margins from group 3 oils with low additives, kick that stuff to the curb and use oils that are polar, stable branched chain, denser, with high aw/ep additives in your non di tubro high performance application. Of course general questions don't really do anything but open a can worms, maybe you should narrow down to the engine and application you really have in mind.

You give many reasons for members to doubt you know what your talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back